Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MeTV has new schedule and is NOT cutting in on TCM

MeTV has changed its schedule slightly-added a few shows and removed some.  Ironically they are starting Rockford and Perry Mason over again from first programs.

MeTV is no threat to TCM as it shows only old TV shows, not movies.  The people who are watching it instead of TCM wouldn't be watching TCM anyway. 

Agreed, however I think we've pretty much established the fact (by the majority on these bds) that Me-tv is absolutely no threat to TCM, for the obvious, logical reason you've mentioned.I can't agree that those who watch Me-tv every now and then (that's me) aren't regular viewers of TCM. TCM is the first station I check the schedule for and the first station my tv is on every day. My tv world is a little larger than TCM or Me-tv, though.

The airing of the old Abbott and Costello tv shows started this morning at 5am. I'll still check TCM's schedule for that time, but good chance if it's a film I've seen or not interested in that day, I'll be watching Abbott and Costello :)

Me-TVs big problem is they doan have me as their chief programmer. I would quickly rid their schedule of crap like perry mason, the rockford files, F Troop, bonanza and gunsmoke, the latter two having been beaten to death in recent years by the infernal TV Land.

with me as their chief programmer you would quickly see their three best shows, star trek, lost in space and voyage to the bottom of the sea, taken off their current saturday slots and moved to weekday evenings from six to nine.

there would also be more leave it to beaver with the addition of my three sons and mayberry RFD to compliment the andy griffith show. :)

MeTV has changed its schedule slightly-added a few shows and removed some.  Ironically they are starting Rockford and Perry Mason over again from first programs.

MeTV is no threat to TCM as it shows only old TV shows, not movies.  The people who are watching it instead of TCM wouldn't be watching TCM anyway. 

How to you know that the people who are watching ME-TV instead of TCM wouldn't be watching TCM anyway?     You sound just like Nipkowdisc;  pretending to know what other people you don't know,  like or dislike.

Isn't it a reasonable assumption to see a possible connection between  50s and 60s TV shows and 50s and 60s movies?   i.e. someone that loves one of these may be more inclined to love the other,  especially those folks that grew up during these eras.  

Hey,  I agree that the "threat to TCM part" as mentioned in that other ME-TV thread was way over the top but I don't see the need to trump one over the top statement with another.  

I know I would watch a show like Perry Mason (50s and 60s TV shows that I like) if TCM was showing a movie I had already seen multiple times or something else that didn't interest me. 

You sound just like Nipkowdisc;  pretending to know what other people you don't know,  like or dislike.

I no pretend, me know. my first 15 years as a space cadet in front of the idiot box makes it so :D

I no pretend, me know. my first 15 years as a space cadet in front of the idiot box makes it so :D

of course I will acknowledge that I do chiefly speak for those with television viewing time approaching or rivaling my own...

therefore they too would also have an intuitive sense of american television's best just as I do.

MeTV is NOT cutting in on TCM

No more or less than every other channel that a viewer watches when they're not watching TCM.

I guess that would mean that when someone is watching TCM, TCM is not cutting into MeTV any more or less than any other channel would be.

I always said that that other thread's proclamation was idiotic - and time hasn't made it any less so.

• Like 3

How to you know that the people who are watching ME-TV instead of TCM wouldn't be watching TCM anyway?     You sound just like Nipkowdisc;  pretending to know what other people you don't know,  like or dislike.

I know I would watch a show like Perry Mason (50s and 60s TV shows that I like) if TCM was showing a movie I had already seen multiple times or something else that didn't interest me. 

Your second statement quoted above answers your question,if I understand it correctly-not sure.  The vast majority of TCM fans will watch TCM in preference to MeTV, except when it is something they have already seen multiple times or are not interested in watching.  Same for any network actually.  In that case, they will watch MeTV or one of the other 150 channels or On Demand or Premium channels.  

But, and this is why MeTV is NOT cutting in, the TCM viewers will watch it first.

BTW, if I was programming Me, I would do the opposite of what Nipkowdisc wants, so guess it is good that neither of us is there.

Part of the reason for the title of this thread is that it is annoying to keep seeing the other MeTV thread continuously showing up even though the title is totally invalid.  Why I believe there should be an expiration date for all threads, so a few people (or less) cannot keep reviving one.  Just my opinion.

Your second statement quoted above answers your question,if I understand it correctly-not sure.  The vast majority of TCM fans will watch TCM in preference to MeTV, except when it is something they have already seen multiple times or are not interested in watching.  Same for any network actually.  In that case, they will watch MeTV or one of the other 150 channels or On Demand or Premium channels.  

But, and this is why MeTV is NOT cutting in, the TCM viewers will watch it first.

BTW, if I was programming Me, I would do the opposite of what Nipkowdisc wants, so guess it is good that neither of us is there.

Part of the reason for the title of this thread is that it is annoying to keep seeing the other MeTV thread continuously showing up even though the title is totally invalid.  Why I believe there should be an expiration date for all threads, so a few people (or less) cannot keep reviving one.  Just my opinion.

Ok,  I understand you now.   You're correct that I check out what is on TCM first before surfing for something else on other stations.

I still don't support any type of 'expiration date' for threads.   Yea,  certain threads are annoying and people will bump them up to keep them in the spotlight,  but I still don't want more controls placed on users of this site.   

BTW:  Happy New Year! 

Why I believe there should be an expiration date for all threads, so a few people (or less) cannot keep reviving one.  Just my opinion.

Let threads last as long as interest is sustained, but have no designation on who starts a thread. Anyone interested would have to go back and look at the OP.  Most won't do that because most won't care.

Agreed, however I think we've pretty much established the fact (by the majority on these bds) that Me-tv is absolutely no threat to TCM, for the obvious, logical reason you've mentioned.I can't agree that those who watch Me-tv every now and then (that's me) aren't regular viewers of TCM. TCM is the first station I check the schedule for and the first station my tv is on every day. My tv world is a little larger than TCM or Me-tv, though.

The airing of the old Abbott and Costello tv shows started this morning at 5am. I'll still check TCM's schedule for that time, but good chance if it's a film I've seen or not interested in that day, I'll be watching Abbott and Costello :)

James, Cid, didn't I already say this at 10:12 am this morning?

Not sure the purpose of repeating the mistake of the other thread. MeTV has nothing to do with TCM.

GETtv on the other hand     is basically a carbon copy of TCM. They even have stars of the month. And show many movies that people on here wish TCM would show. And its free !

I don't see the threat at all frankly. I love having more choice. Competition keeps the quality up. 

MeTv shows tv shows like Antennatv, Thistv, and so many others. And more new ones seemingly everyday. 

Me-TVs big problem is they doan have me as their chief programmer. I would quickly rid their schedule of crap like perry mason, the rockford files, F Troop, bonanza and gunsmoke, the latter two having been beaten to death in recent years by the infernal TV Land.

with me as their chief programmer you would quickly see their three best shows, star trek, lost in space and voyage to the bottom of the sea, taken off their current saturday slots and moved to weekday evenings from six to nine.

there would also be more leave it to beaver with the addition of my three sons and mayberry RFD to compliment the andy griffith show. :)

Ick.  I am very happy that you are not their programmer, no offense to you personally.  

• Like 3

GETtv on the other hand     is basically a carbon copy of TCM. They even have stars of the month. 

And in some ways TCM is a carbon copy of the old AMC, which also had a Star of the Month feature, going all the way back to the early days of cable TV in the 1980s. We've discussed this before. Just like Martha Stewart borrows from Betty Crocker and Walmart borrows from Kmart which itself borrowed from the old Woolworths business model.

Let's be clear that TCM does not own a trademark on the Star of the Month idea. These businesses often borrow on what came before and refine and hopefully improve as audience tastes change.

Part of the reason for the title of this thread is that it is annoying to keep seeing the other MeTV thread continuously showing up 

LOL...I think it was fairly obvious that the purpose of this thread and its title was due to annoyance, making it entirely reactionary and based on the long-running Me-TV thread that I created several months ago. I consider it a compliment to be referenced this way and to ultimately be so influential. 

:)

Also, wouldn't it seem just as childish if someone were to tire of Arturo's Linda Darnell thread continuously showing up and going out of their way to create an anti-Linda Darnell thread...?

And no matter how you look at it, this new thread has a long way to go to reach well over 37,000 views.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/49402-news-me-tv-cutting-in-on-tcm%E2%80%99s-audience/

I no pretend, me know. my first 15 years as a space cadet in front of the idiot box makes it so Me-TVs big problem is they doan have me as their chief programmer. 

That's because they hire educated professionals who know grammar and how to spell.

• Like 1

Yup.

And double Yup.

I never got the METV angle, METV competes with the other channels showing older TV programming, not movies. It is so different after all, day and night really.

The real threat to TCM (drumroll please) is loss of subscribers only. This kooky cable channel system we have supports TCM and I don't think unless it changes there is a major threat. Since TCM is not ad supported METV is barely a pimple on their behind.

Here is the scary part, if someone hates TCM, assuming there are people, they can't cut TCM without cutting channels they like. If the cable system became a true free market system then all of these channels like METV would matter. METV is probably hurting the nightly Sitcoms 99% more than TCM.

• Like 1

And double Yup.

I never got the METV angle, METV competes with the other channels showing older TV programming, not movies. It is so different after all, day and night really.

The real threat to TCM (drumroll please) is loss of subscribers only. This kooky cable channel system we have supports TCM and I don't think unless it changes there is a major threat. Since TCM is not ad supported METV is barely a pimple on their behind.

Here is the scary part, if someone hates TCM, assuming there are people, they can't cut TCM without cutting channels they like. If the cable system became a true free market system then all of these channels like METV would matter. METV is probably hurting the nightly Sitcoms 99% more than TCM.

METV is probably hurting the nightly Sitcoms 99% more than TCM.

Good point. Assuming there is an audience out there smart enough to stick around for the shows, METV will be what TV Land and Nick at Nite were, back in the olden days.

Hearing that parrot again on Superman after a bazillion years was like being dropped down into Oz and knowing how those stupid red shoes worked from the get-go. :D 

• Like 1