Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Other low rent Movie channels

cigarjoe

I'm watching Moontide (1942) as I type with Jean Gabin, Claude Rains, Thomas Mitchel, and Ida Lupino where on Movies! http://moviestvnetwork.com/schedule/

here's the rest of today's morning schedule:

6:25 AM The Three Musketeers 1939 ADVENTURE 

8:00AM  Lucy Gallant 1955 DRAMA
10:15AM  Mahogany 1975

On GetTV (http://get.tv/schedule) the morning schedule is:

6:00 AM Inspector General 1949
8:20 AM Made For Each Other 1939
10:25 AM Cry For Happy 1961

6:00 The Secret of the Purple Reef (1960)
7:25  Shock Treatment (1964)
9:00  Brigham young (1940)

Lot's of choices out there if you look on cable 

thisTV has pretty much gone to an all movie format as well.

On my Charter Cable system, Get, Me and this are included, but not sure which tier since I have them all.  They are the "additional" channels from the local broadcast stations.  E.G. the local NBC affiliate has its regular channel and then two more, one of which is either Get or ME or this (forget which).  Same scenario for local Fox, CBS and ABC affiliates.  Also for an independent, but Charter doesn't broadcast their other two.

Each broadcaster is allocated three over the air channels now.  The local cable/dish companies can pick up the second and third if they wish, but I do not believe they are obligated to do so.

If not on your provider, might be able to pick them up with an antenna.  I can pick up three of them on a set with just an indoor antenna.

thisTV has pretty much gone to an all movie format as well.

On my Charter Cable system, Get, Me and this are included, but not sure which tier since I have them all.  They are the "additional" channels from the local broadcast stations.  E.G. the local NBC affiliate has its regular channel and then two more, one of which is either Get or ME or this (forget which).  Same scenario for local Fox, CBS and ABC affiliates.  Also for an independent, but Charter doesn't broadcast their other two.

Each broadcaster is allocated three over the air channels now.  The local cable/dish companies can pick up the second and third if they wish, but I do not believe they are obligated to do so.

If not on your provider, might be able to pick them up with an antenna.  I can pick up three of them on a set with just an indoor antenna.

Each broadcaster is allocated three over the air channels now.

Interesting, I didn't know that, TheCid.

Too bad they have commercials, otherwise they'd REALLY be a competitor for TCM.

I'm watching Moontide (1942) as I type with Jean Gabin, Claude Rains, Thomas Mitchel, and Ida Lupino where on Movies! http://moviestvnetwork.com/schedule/

here's the rest of today's morning schedule:

6:25 AM The Three Musketeers 1939 ADVENTURE 

8:00AM  Lucy Gallant 1955 DRAMA
10:15AM  Mahogany 1975

On GetTV (http://get.tv/schedule) the morning schedule is:

6:00 AM Inspector General 1949
8:20 AM Made For Each Other 1939
10:25 AM Cry For Happy 1961

6:00 The Secret of the Purple Reef (1960)
7:25  Shock Treatment (1964)
9:00  Brigham young (1940)

Lot's of choices out there if you look on cable 

Ha, low rent, I like that.

You're right, cigarjoe. Yesterday, as a blessed alternative to TCM's curious carload of cr**, ME TV was showing television episode FIRSTS! First Superman, first Hogan's Heroes, first Andy Griffith, etc. Cool-e-o.

FXM had a marathon - came in late but it didn't matter - of Fargo, which I missed first time 'round. It was interesting to see, since the Coen brothers only used the Fargo name to jump off into their own addled storyline, but I'm gobsmacked to understand how anyone writing about this show compared it to True Detective. It is light years from TD in quality and excellence.

Good on these other channels, competition is always a good thing. Maybe now TCM will wake up and break off into better niche channels.

Ha, low rent, I like that.

You're right, cigarjoe. Yesterday, as a blessed alternative to TCM's curious carload of cr**, ME TV was showing television episode FIRSTS! First Superman, first Hogan's Heroes, first Andy Griffith, etc. Cool-e-o.

FXM had a marathon - came in late but it didn't matter - of Fargo, which I missed first time 'round. It was interesting to see, since the Coen brothers only used the Fargo name to jump off into their own addled storyline, but I'm gobsmacked to understand how anyone writing about this show compared it to True Detective. It is light years from TD in quality and excellence.

Good on these other channels, competition is always a good thing. Maybe now TCM will wake up and break off into better niche channels.

Me also showed first episodes of Rockford, Perry Mason and Mary Tyler Moore yesterday.

We like Fargo the series, but not as well as the movie.  We also like True Detective, but they are not very similar IMO.

Only problem with Get, this, Me, etc. is that they have very long commercials.  A 90 minute movie is going to be at least 2, if not 2.5, hours long.

Me also showed first episodes of Rockford, Perry Mason and Mary Tyler Moore yesterday.

We like Fargo the series, but not as well as the movie.  We also like True Detective, but they are not very similar IMO.

Only problem with Get, this, Me, etc. is that they have very long commercials.  A 90 minute movie is going to be at least 2, if not 2.5, hours long.

You're right, TheCid. When Fargo began, the comparisons were being made on blogs, and how Fargo was so much better than TD. IMO, TD was a mind freak of a show. Fargo was entertaining - and violent, the poor dopey FBI guys especially - but at no time was I screaming at the television, as I did when our boys went into.........the...........cave.......without backup, bullet proof vests, or calls in to backup.  :huh:

Exactly. I know they have to have commercials, but isn't it interesting that they have such a pool of riches from which to draw, whilst TCM has more Guy Kibbee than you can shake a stick at! Too bad. I know the big guns are behind the networks - Showtime is behind CBS, right? - so it's the least they can do to give us what we want. We're not all fans of junk.

Addendum and explanation to my 1st post on Jan 2: when i looked-up the schedule on the internet (TitanTV.com) i checked a local over the air station's alternate network affiliation, THISTV. at the time the listing showed THISTV and mostly old TV shows, so i thought THISTV had changed their format. but i was mistaken. it was the local station that changed their affiliation from THISTV to MeTV and MeTV shows old TV shows, but the internet had not yet changed the netword ID for the station.

1st post on Jan 2: am i mistaken about what i noticed about THISTV the other day? i think i saw almost all old tv shows being broadcast and few, very few, movies.

is this a permanent change of format? why?

Edited by allthumbs

Hey, there are actually some old classic movies on TCM this morning! :)

Hmmmm...interesting.

Ya see, while I didn't see any of these "classics" this morning, after turning on my TV just now and hitting the "Guide" button and then going backward to check out what "classics" had been shown this morning and that I had missed watching, I noticed that Suddenlink, my cable provider, showed that all those "classics" as only being worthy of being rated as having either "one star", "one and a half stars" and/or "two stars" in "quality".

Hmmmm...yeah. "Funny" how some so-called "classics" can "rate" so low sometimes, ain't it?!

Well, maybe Fred here just meant to say "Old Black & White Programmers from the 1930s" instead. EH?!

(...smirk)

Hmmmm...interesting.

Ya see, while I didn't see any of these "classics" this morning, after turning on my TV just now and hitting the "Guide" button and then going backward to check out what "classics" had been shown this morning and that I had missed watching, I noticed that Suddenlink, my cable provider, showed that all those "classics" as only being worthy of being rated as having either "one star", "one and a half stars" and/or "two stars" in "quality".

Hmmmm...yeah. "Funny" how some so-called "classics" can "rate" so low sometimes, ain't it?!)

(...smirk)

Thant's my problem exactly with all the so-called "classic" movies TCM shows from the studio age - 98 percent of them are such lousy to mediocre movies.

Thant's my problem exactly with al the so-called "classic" movies TCM shows from the studio age - 98 percent of them are such lousy to mediocre movies.

You and me both, dark...though NOT that I don't occasionally enjoy watching those...OLD BLACK & WHITE PROGRAMMERS FROM THE 1930s, of course!

(...and though it appears Fred and primos here might not agree with our definition of those mediocre movies, eh?!) ;)

My local channels don't show any of these except Me-TV. I do get Bounce which is geared toward films with black actors, and a new one called Grit which are action films with people like Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal.

You may want to visit the websites for your local broadcast channels and see what they offer "over the air."  They usually note if available on cable and such and which channels.

Might not be worth it, but you could hook an antenna to your TV and use that to get the over the air broadcast if your TV is capable of that.  All new ones are, but you have to switch back and forth.

Too bad they have commercials, otherwise they'd REALLY be a competitor for TCM.

Not judging from the present list of movies.  But, you wanna watch Cry For Happy, Brigham Young, and--gag--Mahogany, go ahead.

Thant's my problem exactly with all the so-called "classic" movies TCM shows from the studio age - 98 percent of them are such lousy to mediocre movies.

Ninety-eight, no, ninety-nine percent of movies from any era are lousy and mediocre.

My local channels don't show any of these except Me-TV. I do get Bounce which is geared toward films with black actors, and a new one called Grit which are action films with people like Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal.

Here in L.A. we have a boatload of channels. Cozi, Antenna, Thistv, Retro, MOVIES!, Bounce, Metv, GETtv, Grit for men, Escape for women. ABC 7 has a sub channel with lifestyle shows. And Dish has channel 82 (Family Entertainment ) showing Roy Rogers and murder she wrote.  PBS has lots of extra channels also. And more are coming. 

Only reason I keep Dish at this point is the live sports and TCM. And if they keep haggling with these networks (Now its Fox News ) I might have to reconsider.

You may want to visit the websites for your local broadcast channels and see what they offer "over the air."  They usually note if available on cable and such and which channels.

Might not be worth it, but you could hook an antenna to your TV and use that to get the over the air broadcast if your TV is capable of that.  All new ones are, but you have to switch back and forth.

I bought a device from radio shack that switches back and forth with a remote just for that reason.

I bought a device from radio shack that switches back and forth with a remote just for that reason.

My Directv tuner has an "antenna" input for my outdoor antenna, and I can switch to it by turning off my tuner. Then the signal going to my TV is from my antenna and I change local channels with my TV's remote control.

Not judging from the present list of movies.  But, you wanna watch Cry For Happy, Brigham Young, and--gag--Mahogany, go ahead.

Ninety-eight, no, ninety-nine percent of movies from any era are lousy and mediocre.

Sorry, slaytonf, I meant the old television shows that are on these channels. When one has that alternative, they're not going to stick around for the junk that is on TCM.

Especially if the junk is post 1960.

Watch for changes. We were watching Greenville SC thisTV this morining and notice some good Noirs late tonight.  Went to thisTV website for descriptions.  Totally different line-up, so contacted local station.  They switched networks last night.  Now MOVIES TV network.

Guess Jan is time for lots of programming changes and maybe a few networks.

I was watching ThisTV this morning.  I never really paid much attention to it before, so I'm not sure if it's a new channel on my cable system or not.  Anyway, the movie playing when I discovered it, was "Comes a Horseman", which I'd never seen before.  It had James Caan, Jane Fonda, and Jason Robards playing the leads.  Pretty good movie overall.  Upcoming films on the station today include:  Another Man, Another Chance; The Heroes of Telemark; Harsh Times; The Hanoi Hilton; The Odessa File; the dreaded To Be Announced; and Midnight Cowboy.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings