Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JIMI HENDRIX?

Sepiatone

Wow!  What a night New Year's Eve for old hippies!

TOMMY, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, AND a documentary about the pentultimate '60's music "hero", JIMI HENDRIX!

I didn't learn anything new from it, but it WAS interesting, as Jimi WAS an interesting person.  And, LOOK how YOUNG Lou Reed looked!  AND sadly, Mitch Mitchell----probably one of the BETTER drummers from '60's rock groups.

Now, for MY money, TCM can wander off the path of showing "classic" films with this kind of stuff anytime!

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Wow!  What a night New Year's Eve for old hippies!

TOMMY, A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, AND a documentary about the pentultimate '60's music "hero", JIMI HENDRIX!

I didn't learn anything new from it, but it WAS interesting, as Jimi WAS an interesting person.  And, LOOK how YOUNG Lou Reed looked!  AND sadly, Mitch Mitchell----probably one of the BETTER drummers from '60's rock groups.

Now, for MY money, TCM can wander off the path of showing "classic" films with this kind of stuff anytime!

Sepiatone

My top 4 Hendrix songs:

1---Stone Free

2---Are You Experienced?

3---All Along the Watchtower

4----Purple Haze

When I saw the lineup, I left.it on this channel as background images for my New Years Eve gathering. Unfortunately for those that tried watching, the dance music was on loud for the dancers. After.midnight, images.of.TOMMY got enough people.hooked, including.the teenagers present, that I lowered the music, and rewound as far as possible. Everyone thought it was a trippy movie, and marveled at how young some people looked. The Jimi documentary was a little too slow, but it helped end the party early. Everyone was gone before 3 am.

Ach!  STONE FREE, a song most REAL Jimi lovers dismissed.  AND one HE largely dismissed, too

If only FOUR?  Then I pick:

Manic Depression

Third Stone From The Sun

Up From The Skies

1983( A Merman I should Turn to Be)

Of course, MY list could be much longer....

Sepiatone

Ach!  STONE FREE, a song most REAL Jimi lovers dismissed.  AND one HE largely dismissed, too

If only FOUR?  Then I pick:

Manic Depression

Third Stone From The Sun

Up From The Skies

1983( A Merman I should Turn to Be)

Of course, MY list could be much longer....

Sepiatone

How exactly did he dismiss "Stone Free"? To me, it is quintessential Hendrix. Sounds analogous to all the participants dismissing IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.

It's interesting how some people don't mind TCM stretching the definition of classic if it includes content they like.

But this stuff is 40+ years old which is good enough if your definiition of classic is "old."

"Red House" is one of my favorite Jimi Hendrix songs.  Also love "Purple Haze."  Actually, too many great songs to name but he was awesome and I remember discovering him as a teenager.  I do wish the movie had had more captions as to places and dates where the songs were performed and the Dick Cavett interview (which I figured was some time after Woodstock since he mentioned the national anthem).

Since Tommy was mentioned:

I was digging through my LPs today and found my 1969 double album set of Tommy with the London Symphony Orchestra and Chambre Choir, with Sandy Denny, Graham Bell, Steve Winwood, Maggie Bell, Richie Havens, Mary Clayton, Ringo Starr, Rod Stewart, and Richard Harris as the soloists. The double sleeve folds out into the top of a pinball table, and the full-sized booklet of lyrics has some nice illustrations of the various singers, along with some interesting photos. Even by today's standards the images are intriguing and interesting.

As far a Jimi is concerned, I'll have to go with:

Voodoo Child

Manic Depression

Little Wing

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings