Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

film critics vs. everybody

NipkowDisc

last nite I enjoyed the perennial neal simon favorite The Out-of-Towners, a terrific comedy...but not always so.
I first watched The Out-of-Towners more than 40 years ago in the early 1970s on a CBS affiliate station during a lazy saturday afternoon.

where were the film critics then?

in those days it was rated in the pages of TV Guide with one star which meant poor and in the short description that followed the words "more harrowing than funny".

that was then. and now it is regarded as a great comedy. what happened? the people happened. the viewers happened.
despite being dismissed by film critics in 1970 and subsequently in the pages of TV Guide, a diverse demographic of viewers including myself did something unforeseen: we watched it. :)

now it is a great comedy. because we, the people, watched it. and that's how it really happens. people watching something.

not because they were told to or advised to but merely because they chose to...as I did that bygone saturday afternoon four decades ago.

now tonite we must endure osborne and drew barrymore heap obligatory accolades on marilyn monroe prior to a showing of Bus Stop.

let it be so. :)

with their kind permission, whether given or not, we shall most of us delight to the hilarious antics of cowboy Bo Decker as he attempts to corral his heifer. (miss monroe)

admittedly, his approach to winning his heifer's heart lacks subtlety but who doesn't love a trier like Bo?

more rope to 'em. :)

Hear. Hear.  I can think of so many movies dissed by critics that I love.  For example, Carol Reed's THE MAN BETWEEN.  A terrific film noir, a real gem that was scorned by the critics then and unknown to audiences today.  A pity, as it is one of Mason's most iconic films. His career was startling in the consistency of his performances. Many of his movies were so much dross, but he always brought class to the worst of them.   

last nite I enjoyed the perennial neal simon favorite The Out-of-Towners, a terrific comedy...but not always so.

I first watched The Out-of-Towners more than 40 years ago in the early 1970s on a CBS affiliate station during a lazy saturday afternoon.

where were the film critics then?

in those days it was rated in the pages of TV Guide with one star which meant poor and in the short description that followed the words "more harrowing than funny".

that was then. and now it is regarded as a great comedy. what happened? the people happened. the viewers happened.

despite being dismissed by film critics in 1970 and subsequently in the pages of TV Guide, a diverse demographic of viewers including myself did something unforeseen: we watched it. :)

now it is a great comedy. because we, the people, watched it. and that's how it really happens. people watching something.

not because they were told to or advised to but merely because they chose to...as I did that bygone saturday afternoon four decades ago.

now tonite we must endure osborne and drew barrymore heap obligatory accolades on marilyn monroe prior to a showing of Bus Stop.

let it be so. :)

with their kind permission, whether given or not, we shall most of us delight to the hilarious antics of cowboy Bo Decker as he attempts to coral his heifer. (miss monroe)

admittedly, his approach to winning his heifer's heart lacks subtlety but who doesn't love a trier like Bo?

more rope to 'em. :)

I saw this  movie some years ago and thought it was awful. Two actors that were desperately trying to make it work with a script that was forced and not really funny. If these two actors can't bring it to life there is something wrong. I thought the whole thing embarrassing. I almost feel vindicated in reading here that the critics didn't like it when it first appeared. But I didn't see it this time around and who knows, things change over time.  But I suspect that these first critics probably were on to something.

• Like 1

I too, recall THE OUT OF TOWNERS being panned by the critics.  And when we used to get "TV BOOKS" with the Sunday paper, and the movie was scheduled anywhere, it only got ONE star beside it.

There's a couple of other movies that would happen to in those books, but I can't think of them right now, but the point is taken.

AND, regardless as to how any of YOU guys feel about it, what also falls into this category is---well....

Wasn't IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE  at first "panned" by the critics of the day?  But, to stress Nip's point, it WAS "The People, Yes!" (apologies to Carl Sandburg) who made it a perrenial holiday classic!

Well, I too, watched "The Out Of Towners" the other night, and OH, MY GOOOOOD!  did I ENJOY it! :P

Sepiatone

It's been a few years since I saw The Out of Towners but, yes, I remember quite enjoying it.

Jack Lemmon, among other things, gets a whistling thing going with his teeth, doesn't he? But I remember thinking that the crown jewel of the film was Sandy Dennis' sweet yet wonderfully beleagured performance, which includes her frequent proclamations of  "Oh. My. God."

In fact, doesn't the film end with Dennis saying those words a final time?

It's been a few years since I saw The Out of Towners but, yes, I remember quite enjoying it.

Jack Lemmon, among other things, gets a whistling thing going with his teeth, doesn't he? But I remember thinking that the crown jewel of the film was Sandy Dennis' sweet yet wonderfully beleagured performance, which includes her frequent proclamations of  "Oh. My. God."

In fact, doesn't the film end with Dennis saying those words a final time?

Yeah.  Jack Lemmon chips one of his teeth on stale Cracker Jack that he and Sandy Dennis ate after spending an evening in Central Park.  Dennis finds a half-eaten box of Cracker Jack on a bench.  They are then attacked by a dog, who steals the Cracker Jack.  Lemmon manages to wrestle the box away from the dog, who by this time, has eaten most of it.  He laments how his smile has been ruined and how he'll have to go to his interview with whistling teeth.  

The "Oh My God" was funny.  Because really, if you end up in one absurd situation after another, there comes a point when "Oh My God" is the only thing you can say or do.  I do believe that Dennis says "oh my god" when the plane is hijacked.

Yeah.  Jack Lemmon chips one of his teeth on stale Cracker Jack that he and Sandy Dennis ate after spending an evening in Central Park. 

Oh, man, chipping his tooth on Cracker Jack. He WAS having a bad day!

I remember the time (and this is true, no joke) when I broke off a part of a tooth while eating some Smarties. (I think the tooth was cracked previously from some bristle while eating a steak). In any event, out popped half of my tooth while eating that candy treat. I don't recall if I said "Oh. My. God." at the time.

Oh, man, chipping his tooth on Cracker Jack. He WAS having a bad day!

I remember the time (and this is true, no joke) when I broke off a part of a tooth while eating some Smarties. (I think the tooth was cracked previously from some bristle while eating a steak). In any event, out popped half of my tooth while eating that candy treat. I don't recall if I said "Oh. My. God." at the time.

Now that I think of it, I can't remember if he cracked his tooth on the popcorn itself, or whether he accidentally ate the prize and cracked his tooth on that.  Nonetheless, he was eating Cracker Jack that was originally found half eaten, on a park bench, which was then wrestled away from a dog.

I once cracked a tooth in half on the crust of a slice of pizza.  Fortunately, it was a tooth that ended up having to be pulled anyway when I had braces.  I probably said something to the effect of "Oh My God."  It's a very versatile phrase that could be applicable to a variety of situations.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings