Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prices in movies & TV

Kid Dabb

I always like to spot tags or signs in old films and tv shows which show prices. Food, merchandise, services.. Here's one I noticed last night as I watching The Odd Couple (1968). I'm guessing those are carrots 2lbs / 29¢

9h0vg6.jpg

Kid, I enjoy sightings like that, too, but I also like it when other money info comes out in other ways.  I mean when it comes out in narration or conversational quotes.  Salaries, rates, etc, also interest me. 

One that I was able to look up:  In the Heat of the Night, (1967) -- The White police chief in a small Mississippi town (Rod Steiger) is enraged to learn that the Black detective from Philadelphia (Sydney Portier) earns a salary of $162.39 per week.  He works that figure into his dialogue a couple of times before the end of that scene.

...In a recent viewing of The New Centurions (1972), a Police Rookie, a very young Erik Estrada, was asked by an older cop why a former gangbanger like him had wound up joining the police force.  The reasons he listed started with the $9 thousand per year salary.

...I failed to find the exact figure on this one.  That old 1960s Twilight Zone where Art Carney was an alcoholic Dept. Store Santa?  Getting fortified before going on shift, he paid some $3 and change for a sandwich and three whiskies.

...I think I'm right without looking this one up.  Peyton Place, in a Pre-WWII setting.  The new High School Principal is offered a $3000 annual salary ( ! )  With a comment that, "Guaranteed poverty is not security,"  He demands $4000 and he gets it.

Kid, if you can find photos from the film MARTY, in the butcher shop, the signs on the wall have the prices of hamburger and steak. I think they were about 59 cents a pound! Also in the

Catered Affair, Bette Davis is in a fish market and prices were probably well under $1.00 ! LOL

Kid, I enjoy sightings like that, too, but I also like it when other money info comes out in other ways.  I mean when it comes out in narration or conversational quotes.  Salaries, rates, etc, also interest me. 

Me too. I remember all of those examples and am always amused with the scene from In the Heat of the Night. The Police Chief is beside himself when he discovers how little he makes compared to this Police Detective - something close to three times his salary, I think.

Kid, if you can find photos from the film MARTY, in the butcher shop, the signs on the wall have the prices of hamburger and steak. I think they were about 59 cents a pound! Also in the

Catered Affair, Bette Davis is in a fish market and prices were probably well under $1.00 ! LOL

Here's Marty in his shop. So far, I haven't located a market scene from The Catered Affair (1956) - not yet.

142d0jr.jpg

In THAT TOUCH OF MINK, Doris is at Horn & Hardart, the automat, Audrey Meadows gives her

Chicken Pot Pie, A Baked Potato with Sour Cream, Carrots, Jello and a piece of Cake. Total cost was $1.12 - :D

Thanks!  I got a great shot of  TUNA  SALAD  35¢  8->

212uvrb.jpg

Don't forget, there are prices all over the drug store in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, mostly hanging from the ceiling.

Speaking of prices in movies, I just watched BACK TO THE FUTURE 2 (it being 2015) and I loved the exaggerated inflation, like a Pepsi for $50 :)

Don't forget, there are prices all over the drug store in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, mostly hanging from the ceiling.

Speaking of prices in movies, I just watched BACK TO THE FUTURE 2 (it being 2015) and I loved the exaggerated inflation, like a Pepsi for $50 :)

I found some good shots of that drugstore, but none with prices - still looking.

(good screenshot of hanging prices found - see post 3-21-15)

Your Back To The Future reminded me of Will Smith in I Robot (2004). He and his boss were in a bar. They had two bottles of beer and Will's character paid the tab - $46.50 !  Yowza!

2zguo9y.jpg

Amended 3-21-15 

For someone able to find-and-capture the images, I think there were posted prices in the family - run grocery in the midcentury series, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.  And it would be interesting to know if the tradition held in the 1988 TVM Bring Me the Head of Dobie Gillis, when the son was running the same store.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wooo! I finally found a shot of the drug store's hanging prices from The Best Years of Our Lives

29f8dbr.jpg

These from Primrose Path (1940) - showing this morning right here on TCM.

5akupk.jpg

2py591y.jpg

You see below a sign which reads "Meal Ticket $4.50" - I'm sure everyone has heard the term, probably since childhood. When I saw this I did a wiki and came up with some interesting background.

In the early days, a company that wanted to subsidise their staff lunches, but not run a canteen, had to have vouchers printed and make arrangements with one or more local restaurants to accept them.

2mw5pg2.jpg

Archived