Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Prices in movies & TV

Kid Dabb

I believe Ralph Kramden on the Honeymooners made $42.50 a week $42.50 a week $42.50 a week.

Growing up around 1959, we had just moved to a new luxury garden apartment complex - I don't know what the rent was then, but ten years later they were charging a whopping $62.50 per month for a one bedroom - if memory serves. So.. old Ralphie boy wasn't doing too bad at all.

Here's an old favorite showing Wheat Flakes on special @ 22¢

I can't tell what the 2/FOR 15¢ item is

63x5ix.jpg

The 2 for 15 cents is Old Dutch Cleanser, a dish and sink scrubbing powder like Comet today.

The 2 for 15 cents is Old Dutch Cleanser, a dish and sink scrubbing powder like Comet today.

Wow. I never would have guessed that one. I was thinking along the lines of oats or oatmeal - based on the container's appearance.

Here's a 1914 ad for it. I can now notice the Dutch woman on the Double Indemnity cans.

35hppxe.jpg

While watching Spring Renunion, the Betty Hutton, Dana Andrews film the other day on TCM, there's a scene where the two are having malts at the town's malt shoppe. The sign behind the counter read Malts 30 cents. It's a 1957 movie. Unfortunately can't find any photos for that scene, maybe you can Kid :)

While watching Spring Renunion, the Betty Hutton, Dana Andrews film the other day on TCM, there's a scene where the two are having malts at the town's malt shoppe. The sign behind the counter read Malts 30 cents. It's a 1957 movie. Unfortunately can't find any photos for that scene, maybe you can Kid :)

No luck here either. I found a still with them drinking a malt, but the price sign on the wall behind them was cut off - no price visible. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks

:)

I was watching Perry Mason this morning: The Case of the Crooked Candle (1957)

As the end credits were rolling, the bottom left corner of the screen was used for the (then) sponsor's ads.. and what should appear.? Good old Dutch Cleanser! I wouldn't have paid it any attention but for our discussion here.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ha! I got a 2-for-1 deal tonight, courtesy of TCM

;)

I posted a shot of them playing checkers over in the Board Games thread; now this, from the same film tonight.. prices written on the back mirror.

The Stranger (1946)

21bw31k.jpg

• 6 months later...
SPOOK CHASERS (1957)

Louie's Sweet Shop set is brought back and handed over to character actor Percy Helton
                  - - now "Clancy's Cafe" 

ftTlJul.jpg

Clipped Wings (1953) - - another Bowery Boys film

CiH8kWk.jpg

In Easter Parade, Judy Garland ordered a roast beef sandwich, a piece of pie and a glass of milk.  It cost her 15 cents! 

Hey, it's great to see you on the Games and Trivia boards again, Kid Dabb!  I like your wacky sense of humor. 

In Easter Parade, Judy Garland ordered a roast beef sandwich, a piece of pie and a glass of milk.  It cost her 15 cents! 

Hey, it's great to see you on the Games and Trivia boards again, Kid Dabb!  I like your wacky sense of humor. 

Thank you

I've been busy

nmjxJ4X.gif

• 3 months later...

I was watching an episode of Father Knows Best this morning. The closing sequence had the family dining out at a restaurant as a reward for earlier behavior. Everyone is seated at a circular booth and looking at their menus. Father tells them they can order anything they want, then discovers he has no money. He asks Mom she can cover, he'll pay her back. Mom says she's broke too. Likewise Bud and Betty. Then the little "Princess" speaks up saying it's alright, she's brought her ten dollars and will cover the whole dinner - how she got the ten dollars is what the episode was about.

I didn't catch the name of the episode, so I can't be sure.. so I guessed it was around 1959 and I checked out the fact that ten dollars could pay for a dinner at a restaurant for a family of four and, probably, have change left over.

Ten dollars in 1959 money would be eighty-one eighty-four today. About right. I would have guessed one hundred dollars in today's money.

Wouldn't it feel good for four of you to eat out at a family restaurant

these days and spend a mere ten dollars..?

HdMRO5D.jpg

..so ar

I was watching an episode of Father Knows Best this morning. The closing sequence had the family dining out at a restaurant as a reward for earlier behavior. Everyone is seated at a circular booth and looking at their menus. Father tells them they can order anything they want, then discovers he has no money. He asks Mom she can cover, he'll pay her back. Mom says she's broke too. Likewise Bud and Betty. Then the little "Princess" speaks up saying it's alright, she's brought her ten dollars and will cover the whole dinner - how she got the ten dollars is what the episode was about.

I didn't catch the name of the episode, so I can't be sure.. so I guessed it was around 1959 and I checked out the fact that ten dollars could pay for a dinner at a restaurant for a family of four and, probably, have change left over.

Ten dollars in 1959 money would be eighty-one eighty-four today. About right. I would have guessed one hundred dollars in today's money.

Wouldn't it feel good for four of you to eat out at a family restaurant

these days and spend a mere ten dollars..?

HdMRO5D.jpg

...so are you converting this into a game?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright! A still shot of Spring Reunion's malt shoppe scene has been found..

Z9j4grJ.jpg

Archived