Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

There is nothing like a dame...except a knight

jakeem

Joan Collins -- who was supposed to become the next Elizabeth Taylor but wound up becoming a television sensation on TV's "Dynasty -- has been made a dame in the annual New Year's Honours list. The 81-year-old actress, whose film career began in the early 1950s, starred in numerous movies, including three noteworthy 1955 productions -- "The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing," "The Virgin Queen" and "Land of the Pharaohs." She also co-starred in "The Opposite Sex," a 1956 remake of "The Women" (1939), and "Rally 'Round the Flag, Boys" (1958) with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

But it was her role as the conniving Alexis Carrington Colby on "Dynasty" -- a role originally intended for Sophia Loren -- that launched Collins into international superstardom.

Collins received her damehood because of her "services to charity" as a "(p)hilanthropist and charity campaigner."

Collins was joined on the Honours list by Kristin Scott Thomas, the 54-year-old British-born actress who received a 1996 Academy Award nomination as Best Actress for her performance in "The English Patient." Scott Thomas, who now lives and frequently acts in France, also starred in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (1994), "Mission: Impossible" (1996), "The Horse Whisperer" (1998, shown below with a young Scarlett Johansson), "Random Hearts" (1999), "Gosford Park" (2001) and "I've Loved You So Long" (2008).

She was cited for her contributions to drama.

Yeah, well, to quote actor Charles Halton as the bank examiner after Jimmy Stewart's George Bailey shows him the newspaper headline of George's younger bother Harry winning the Congressional Medal of Honor(please note the lack of the superfluous letter 'u' used in the spelling of "Honor" here), in "It's a Wonderful Life":

"Yeah, I suppose they (still) do that sort of thing!"

And even though the Brits REALLY don't have much of an "empire" left, ya know!  ;)

(...I mean, REALLY?!..."Joan COLLINS"?!...okay, while I'll admit she was REALLY REALLY hot lookin' back in the day, I'm NOT so sure anyone would ever place HER in their "Great Actresses Of All Time List", wouldn't ya SAY?!...and so NOW I'm wonderin' how much one has to slip under the table to the Royal Exchequer over there in order to be have that whole "title" thing added to the front of their name???...anybody gotta a GUESS here?!!!) 

LOL

Veteran British actor John Hurt, who will be 75 on January 22, 2015, will be called Sir John now that he has received a knighthood for his contributions to drama. Hurt earned Academy Award nominations for "Midnight Express" (Best Supporting Actor, 1978) and "The Elephant Man" (Best Actor, 1980). Among his other films: "Alien" (1979), "Nineteen Eighty-Four" (1984), "Scandal" (1989), "V for Vendetta" (2006, shown below) and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011).

Actress Joan Collins -- who was supposed to become the next Elizabeth Taylor but wound up becoming a television sensation on TV's "Dynasty -- has been made a dame in the annual New Year's Honours list.

She was joined on the list by Kristin Scott-Thomas, the British-born actress who received a 1996 Academy Award nomination as Best Actress for her performance in "The English Patient." Scott-Thomas, who now lives in France, also starred in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (1994), "The Horse Whisperer" (1998, shown below with a young Scarlett Johansson), "Gosford Park" (2001) and "I've Loved You So Long" (2008).

This past summer Britain made actress Angelina Jolie an Honorary Dame.

Lol, handed by the Queen - now that's official!

456987892_angelina_queen.jpg

(...I mean, REALLY?!..."Joan COLLINS"?!...okay, while I'll admit she was REALLY REALLY hot lookin' back in the day, I'm NOT so sure anyone would ever place HER in their "Great Actresses Of All Time List", wouldn't ya SAY?!...and so NOW I'm wonderin' how much one has to slip under the table to the Royal Exchequer over there in order to be have that whole "title" thing added to the front of their name???...anybody gotta a GUESS here?!!!) 

LOL

Well, she didn't cure cancer. But she was one of Britain's hottest products in the 1980s, and it was all because of her role as the irrepressible Alexis Carrington Colby on TV's "Dynasty." She was in her 50s at the time, too. I would have given her a damehood just for being able to pose for Playboy at that age!

Well, she didn't cure cancer or gain or a reputation for philanthropy. But she was one of Britain's hottest products in the 1980s, and it was all because of her role as the irrepressible Alexis Carrington Colby on TV's "Dynasty." She was in her 50s at the time, too. Iwould have given her a damehood just for being able to pose for Playboy at that age!

Yeah, well, like I said jakeem, I TOO always thought she was one hot lookin' AND sultry thing, and yeah, she DID "keep" her looks well into her middle-aged years, and even though I ALSO always thought she COULD have maybe toned-down the freakin' make-up JUST a touch by that time.

(...yep, always wondered what she might have REALLY looked like without all that face paint she sported during that decade...how about YOU?...did YOU ever wonder about that TOO???) ;)

LOL

It seems pretty arbitrary, doesn't it?  With Joan maybe it's her longevity and support of the monarchy.  Odd, this year Mr. Gay D was asked to write a letter of recommendation (or whatever it's called) by a group putting up someone for a knighthood.  It will be interesting to see if happens in years to come!

Yeah, well, like I said jakeem, I TOO always thought she was one hot lookin' AND sultry thing, and yeah, she DID "keep" her looks well into her middle-aged years, and even though I ALSO always thought she COULD have maybe toned-down the freakin' make-up JUST a touch by that time.

(...yep, always wondered what she might have REALLY looked like without all that face paint she sported during that decade...how about YOU?...did YOU ever wonder about that TOO???) ;)

Actually, my first reference to her as "one of Britain's hottest products in the 1980s" was about her ability to dominate media coverage, not her physical attributes. Actually, I've been more impressed by the Joan Collins of the 1960s, when she was still married to Anthony Newley. From the photos and films that I've seen from that period, she was drop-dead gorgeous.

attachicon.gif4ad42a2e30cf7fb0f5eeb747adc5d5ea.jpg

The only time I ever noticed Joan Collins.

Actually rewrite, THAT very episode of "Star Trek" might have been the first time I "noticed" Joan TOO!

And at age 14 and when that episode first aired on NBC, I started gettin' a little crush on the vixen! ;)

(...see?!...it's NOT that I "don''t like" Joan, it's that I question what the hell she's done as an actress to warrant this knighthood she's receiving, THAT'S all!)

(...see?!...it's NOT that I "don''t like" Joan, it's that I question what the hell she's done as an actress to warrant this knighthood she's receiving, THAT'S all!)

Hold the phone! I looked at the overall Honours list (and it is a long one), and noticed that Joan Collins has received a damehood because of her "services to charity." Perhaps she is more of a philanthropist than I thought.

I've added the clarification to the original post.

I'll bet Kristin Scott Thomas is the only British dame who co-starred in a movie with an American Prince. Here's a scene from "Under the Cherry Moon" (1986), which was her feature film debut.

The film, directed by the music superstar, was universally panned, and the 25-year-old Scott Thomas received Golden Raspberry Award nominations for Worst Supporting Actress and Worst New Star. Somehow, she not only survived the experience, but she also endured.

Not only was Joan Collins a beauty, but she was an "old style" actress....meaning dramatic. That's why she was so good as a villian.

Guess the monarchy needs to keep "in the news" about something. Best Collins/Hurt/Jolie receive recognition for their charity work than their acting which for the most part is ho-hum. (although I wish "dramatic" style acting was more popular with todays bland-ites)

Not only was Joan Collins a beauty, but she was an "old style" actress....meaning dramatic. That's why she was so good as a villian.

Guess the monarchy needs to keep "in the news" about something. Best Collins/Hurt/Jolie receive recognition for their charity work than their acting which for the most part is ho-hum. (although I wish "dramatic" style acting was more popular with todays bland-ites)

THE monarchy?

Which monarchy: Belgium, Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, the Vatican, Lesotho, Swaziland, Bhutan, Cambodia, Japan, Thailand, Tonga, or any of the several Arab kingdoms?

Actually, my first reference to her as "one of Britain's hottest products in the 1980s" was about her ability to dominate media coverage, not her physical attributes. Actually, I've been more impressed by the Joan Collins of the 1960s, when she was still married to Anthony Newley. From the photos and films that I've seen from that period, she was drop-dead gorgeous.

And all this time I was under the impression Collins

Hold the phone! I looked at the overall Honours list (and it is a long one), and noticed that Joan Collins has received a damehood because of her "services to charity." Perhaps she is more of a philanthropist than I thought.

I've added the clarification to the original post.

Say what???   All this time I was under the impression that Collins received a damehood because the queen loved Dynasty.

I mean, that is a show a queen could relate to.

Say what???   All this time I was under the impression that Collins received a damehood because the queen loved Dynasty.

I mean, that is a show a queen could relate to.

Well, as Paul McCartney might say, Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl, and she apparently keeps up with the popular culture. For instance, she "parachuted" out of a helicopter with James Bond at the opening ceremonies of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. And in her annual Christmas Day television address, she excited the Twitterverse by referring to her June 2014 visit to the set of "Game of Thrones" in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she watched "Dynasty" regularly.

Hurt's most famous movie scene was in Ridley Scott's classic outer space thriller "Alien" (1979):

He later re-created the moment for "Spaceballs," Mel Brooks' 1987 film spoof of "Star Wars" and space movies:

For me, the shining moment of Joan's acting career will always be as Sister Edith Keeler in 'The City on the Edge of Forever' (Star Trek, season 1).

Many consider that episode -- credited to the great science-fiction writer Harlan Ellison -- to be the best "Star Trek" storyline during its series run from 1966 to 1969. Here's a clip in which "Star Trek" star William Shatner reminisces with Dame Joan:

Laughing my bum off watching that, jakeem!

Shatner is so pervy with Joan beside him. He can't stop staring at her unceasingly and talking sexy sex sex. What a guy.

If this was shot fairly recently, they both look amazing for people now in their 80s.

Palmerin said: THE monarchy? Which monarchy

The one we're discussing....the British Monarchy.

Then don't say THE MONARCHY as if the House Windsor were the only monarchy in the world. Not everybody in the USA is of British ancestry; as a Puerto Rican of Spanish descent the House Bourbon is of greater relevance to me.

Then don't say THE MONARCHY as if the House Windsor were the only monarchy in the world. Not everybody in the USA is of British ancestry; as a Puerto Rican of Spanish descent the House Bourbon is of greater relevance to me.

If you read the post in this thread it is very clear the specific monarchy that was being discussed was the British one as well as the actress being mentioned; Joan Collins.     While other monarchies may be of greater relevance to you (I don't care for any of them),  that point is irrelevant as it relates to THIS thread.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings