Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bess Myerson (1924-2014)

jakeem

Bess Myerson, who went from Miss America to television celebrity to political hopeful, has died at the age of 90. Her death on December 14, 2014 was not reported until now.

Born in the Bronx, she was the first (and only) Jewish woman to become Miss America. She began her year-long reign on September 8, 1945, and persevered despite instances of anti-semitism directed at her. 

Television viewers became more familiar with Myerson as a longtime panelist on the CBS game show "I've Got a Secret" in the 1950s and 1960s. Here's part of a 1959 episode that featured Johnny Carson, almost three years before he became the host of NBC's "The Tonight Show.'

Myerson's daughter, Barra Grant, became an actress in the 1970s and appeared opposite a pre-"Magnum, P.I." Tom Selleck in the 1972 horror film "Daughters of Satan." She has since become a screenwriter and director.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-bess-myerson-20150105-story.html#page=1

Sad news.  She was wonderful on "I've Got a Secret," elegant, graceful, and funny.  And she played the violin to boot.

Now that I did not know. I was aware she played the piano and the flute during her Miss America competition.

she was the first (and only) Jewish woman to become Miss America. 

Redundant to say first and only.  If someone or something is the only one, it is automatically also the first.  Sorry to be pedantic, but it just annoys me that this improper phrasing has become so commonplace.

Redundant to say first and only.  If someone or something is the only one, it is automatically also the first.  Sorry to be pedantic, but it just annoys me that this improper phrasing has become so commonplace.

My intention was to effectively establish that there hasn't been another Jewish Miss America titlist. In retrospect, I  probably should have written that she was the only Jewish woman to win the title.

I appreciate the viewpoint!

Not neccesarily.  For all YOU know, I might STILL wear NEHRU shirts!

I may not have been the FIRST, but CERTAINLY am the ONLY one now!

But, Ms. Meyerson's passing IS the end of an era for ME, so it saddens!

RIP, Bess!

Sepiatone

Bess Myerson, who went from Miss America to television celebrity to political hopeful, has died at the age of 90. Her death on December 14, 2014 was not reported until now.

Born in the Bronx, she was the first (and only) Jewish woman to become Miss America. She began her year-long reign on September 8, 1945, and persevered despite instances of anti-semitism directed at her. 

Television viewers became more familiar with Myerson as a longtime panelist on the CBS game show "I've Got a Secret" in the 1950s and 1960s. Here's part of a 1959 episode that featured Johnny Carson, almost three years before he became the host of NBC's "The Tonight Show.'

Myerson's daughter, Barra Grant, became an actress in the 1970s and appeared opposite a pre-"Magnum, P.I." Tom Selleck in the 1972 horror film "Daughters of Satan." She has since become a screenwriter and director.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-bess-myerson-20150105-story.html#page=1

She was going great guns for a while, but it all fell apart.

Interesting that one who plays the flute is called a flautist.

There's supposed to be a story that Rampal, when asked how he'd rate Jethro Tull's leader Ian Anderson as a flautist, said(supposedly), " I consider Mr. Anderson to be more of a FLATULIST!"  :lol:

I put THAT up there with Fred Allen's comment about Jack Benny "plays the fiddle like the strings were still IN THE CAT!" :lol:

But, like I alliterated, Ms. Myerson WAS a figure from my childhood( being an avid TV zombie back then), and although she WAS long past an age when MOST of us leave, it's still kind of sad.  I felt that way when all those OTHER "panelists" died.  Cerf, Arlene, Morgan, Carlysle, Allen....

Sepiatone

And nothing. Someone posted Kitty was Bess' fellow panelist..........

Just a wee bit of googling:

It was the small screen that would make Kitty a welcome household commodity. The steadfast panelist of several quiz shows in the 1950s, it was the popular game show To Tell the Truth (1956) that anointed her game show doyenne and icon. A regular panelist for some 20 years, she appeared on each and every revamped format from its 1956 inception to its 2002 syndicated version. Known for her stately presence, infectious laugh, pouffy dark Prince Valiant hairstyle, and sweeping couture gowns on the show, audiences reveled at her effortless class to these simple parlor games. She also was a substitute panelist for other popular game shows such as "What's My Line?" and "I've Got a Secret."

Seen frequently on television during the 1950s and 1960, Myerson was a regular on the celebrity quiz show I've Got a Secret.

She (Betsy Palmer) would later become a familiar face on television as a long-running regular panelist on the quiz show I've Got a Secret. She joined the show's original run, replacing Faye Emerson in 1958 and remaining until the show's finale in 1967. She did not subsequently reprise her role in any of the various revivals of the show.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings