Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wowie KaZowie! Fritz Lang night January 10!

misswonderly3

I can't believe it! Instead of the usual suspects TCM shows over and over again on their Saturday night "Essentials" programming, this Saturday they're doing something interesting!

Ok, yeah, they've aired Metropolis quite a bit, I think even in as an "Essential" before. But it really is a fascinating film.

But then they're showing the deliciously entertaining and quirky Ministry of Fear, followed by the rarely -shown Blue Gardenia.

I'm genuinely excited about this line-up.

Ministry of Fear is such a fun movie, complete with a mysterious cake that brings handsome likable Ray Milland no good, beautiful big-eyed Marjorie Reynolds, and our fave goofy bad guy Dan Duryea, wielding a giant pair of sheers ! If you haven't seen this luscious Lang treat, watch it or record it.

And as if those wasn't enough cinematic goodies for one night, the cherry on top of the evening is The Blue Gardenia. Yeah, baby! Raymond Burr playing a playboy (!), the always excellent Richard Conte (a good guy in this!- sort of), and ANNE "Eve" BAXTER, doing a great job in a sympathetic and very non-Eve-ish role.

Fritz Lang extravaganza this Saturday night! Yeah, baby!

• Like 3

And don't forget, MissW, that Ministry of Fear also has that great seance sequence with the icily beautiful Hillary Brooke.

b87b3118-38da-43f3-b781-4c8267dfe1cf_zps

But can you not simply write "our fave bad guy Dan Duryea?" Does it have to be "our fave goofy bad guy?"

72cf8cb6-9892-44c9-b871-b3ab93eca4ab_zps

Major Fritz Lang thriller warning: NEVER ask this man for a hair cut!

I can't believe it! Instead of the usual suspects TCM shows over and over again on their Saturday night "Essentials" programming, this Saturday they're doing something interesting!

Ok, yeah, they've aired Metropolis quite a bit, I think even in as an "Essential" before. But it really is a fascinating film.

But then they're showing the deliciously entertaining and quirky Ministry of Fear, followed by the rarely -shown Blue Gardenia.

Ministry of Fear is such a fun movie, complete with a mysterious cake that brings handsome likable Ray Milland no good, beautiful big-eyed Marjorie Reynolds, and our fave goofy bad guy Dan Duryea, wielding a giant pair of sheers ! If you haven't seen this luscious Lang treat, watch it or record it.

And as if those wasn't enough cinematic goodies for one evening, the cherry on top of the evening is The Blue Gardenia. Yeah, baby! Raymond Burr playing a playboy (!), the always excellent Richard Conte (a good guy in this!- sort of), and ANNE "Eve" BAXTER, doing a great job in a sympathetic and very non-Eve-ish role.

What would really be great would be if TCM could give Lang a month's retrospective, as it did for Kurosawa, Truffaut and Hitchcock.  Here are 21 movies of his that have already been shown---some fairly often, but most of them seldom more than once every year or two.

Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler

Metropolis

Spione

M

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

Liliom

Fury

You Only Live Once

Moontide

Hangmen Also Die!

Ministry of Fear

The Woman in the Window

Scarlet Street

Cloak and Dagger

Secret Beyond the Door

Clash by Night

The Big Heat

The Blue Gardenia

Human Desire

While the City Sleeps

Beyond a Reasonable Doubt

And then for the one TCM premiere, we could wrap it up with The 1000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse.  Talk about a fabulous lineup.  It sure would beat Elvis Presley month.

EDIT:  Well, maybe never mind that last one, since apparently there's no English subtitled version available.

• Like 1

Tom baby, we all know Dan's just a tad goofy, even when he's at his most menacing. It's partly that unique combination of silly and threatening in his persona that makes him so much fun to watch (for me, anyway.)

And yes, the seance lady is just another wonderful ingredient in this Lang confection .

Don't you just want to shout out to our man Ray, as he exits that fortune teller's tent, "NO, Ray, don't pay any attention to that cake! You'll be soooorrrry..."

Why wasn't Marjorie Reynolds in much else? (or was she? I've never heard of her except for MOF, and of course, if I haven't heard of someone, they can't be very important.) :mellow:

She is beautiful, in an unusual sort of way, and also pretty darn good as an actress, at least in this role.

And as if those wasn't enough cinematic goodies for one night, the cherry on top of the evening is The Blue Gardenia. Yeah, baby! Raymond Burr playing a playboy (!), the always excellent Richard Conte (a good guy in this!- sort of), and ANNE "Eve" BAXTER, doing a great job in a sympathetic and very non-Eve-ish role.

I feel the above post is quite silly. Also, it is not entirely accurate.

BLUE GARDENIA is not rarely shown. It was probably on TCM three or four times in 2014. It is playing this month, and it will be back for Ann Sothern's tribute in March.

I agree, guys - wouldn't it be nice if TCM had a Fritz Lang focus for a month. And, yes, Andy, as your list demonstrates, there would be plenty of material to choose from.

Swithin, I'd be all for checking out more Lang silents, including your suggestion for The Indian Tomb.

Although I'd never heard of it before (which of course means it can't be important, if I haven't heard of it ), it looks pretty interesting.

I feel the above post is quite silly. Also, it is not entirely accurate.

BLUE GARDENIA is not rarely shown. It was probably on TCM three or four times in 2014. It is playing this month, and it will be back for Ann Sothern's tribute in March.

Oh, TopBilled, don't be such a poe-face.

Actually, I thank you for the compliment. I'm all for silliness on these boards. I say, MORE SILLINESS AND LESS EARNESTNESS!!

I will concede, I may have been mistaken about how often "Blue Gardenia" has been aired in recent months. However, I'm willing to bet it never had such a good time slot as this upcoming Saturday.

• Like 1

Tom baby, we all know Dan's just a tad goofy, even when he's at his most menacing. It's partly that unique combination of silly and threatening in his persona that makes him so much fun to watch (for me, anyway.)

And yes, the seance lady is just another wonderful ingredient in this Lang confection .

Don't you just want to shout out to our man Ray, as he exits that fortune teller's tent, "NO, Ray, don't pay any attention to that cake! You'll be soooorrrry..."

Why wasn't Marjorie Reynolds in much else? (or was she? I've never heard of her except for MOF, and of course, if I haven't heard of someone, they can't be very important.) :mellow:

She is beautiful, in an unusual sort of way, and also pretty darn good as an actress, at least in this role.

Have you seen our man Dan as Waco Johnny Dean in Winchester 73? Constantly laughing and filled with himself, a ruthless fast gun but also sly enough to lie low and wait for a while if someone he suspects is a little bit faster comes along. But goofy? About as goofy as a rattlesnake.

The year before Ministry of Fear it was Marjorie Reynolds to whom Der Bingle made a little film and recording history by singing White Christmas in Holiday Inn. A couple of years after Ministry she was a good likeable leading lady to Lou Costello as one of a pair of Revolutionary War ghosts in The Time of Their Lives. Those were probably the highlights of her film career, though she would do a lot of TV work during the '50s.

Actually, I thank you for the compliment. I'm all for silliness on these boards. I say, MORE SILLINESS AND LESS EARNESTNESS!!

I will concede, I may have been mistaken about how often "Blue Gardenia" has been aired in recent months. However, I'm willing to bet it never had such a good time slot as this upcoming Saturday.

Now that I agree with...it is usually assigned to the morning hours, when they are tossing some 50s noir on to the barbie for a Lang birthday tribute or an Anne Baxter tribute.

It will also get a primetime airing for the Sothern SOTM shindig.

I like it for its inclusion of the Nat King Cole song-- plus he shows up in a club scene to sing the tune on camera. Good stuff maynard.

Yea, I agree.

130_eapoe1_zpsc461f92c.jpg

Though, I have to say, if he had had the chance, he probably would have been into these Fritz Lang thrillers, too. In fact, he might have been really raven about them!

>>>I like it for its inclusion of the Nat King Cole song-- plus he shows up in a club scene to sing the tune on camera.

There is also an interesting use of music at the end (of The Blue Gardenia) ... extended orchestral quotations from Wagner's Tristan ... which to a certain degree (but not to overstate) has at least a nuanced similarity to what is actually happening in the movie. I don't believe it's by accident that this music was chosen---they didn't just cast about for some pretty music---there was method in their fine madness in choosing these passages. Look for this music, very finely done.

...There is also an interesting use of music at the end (of The Blue Gardenia) ... extended orchestral quotations from Wagner's Tristan ... which to a certain degree (but not to overstate) has at least a nuanced similarity to what is actually happening in the movie. I don't believe it's by accident that this music was chosen---they didn't just cast about for some pretty music---there was method in their fine madness in choosing these passages. Look for this music, very finely done.

And leave us not forget that a minor but significant character in the film works in a record shop. (Or should I say, as do all the young ones who think they've invented records, "a vinyl shop".)

>>>I like it for its inclusion of the Nat King Cole song-- plus he shows up in a club scene to sing the tune on camera.

There is also an interesting use of music at the end (of The Blue Gardenia) ... extended orchestral quotations from Wagner's Tristan ... which to a certain degree (but not to overstate) has at least a nuanced similarity to what is actually happening in the movie. I don't believe it's by accident that this music was chosen---they didn't just cast about for some pretty music---there was method in their fine madness in choosing these passages. Look for this music, very finely done.

Hitchcock was devoted to Tristan and Isolde. It pops up in some form in at least three of his films: Murder, Vertigo, and The Birds. And of course with Hitchcock, everything's there for a reason.

Here's an interesting piece from the recent double issue of The Economist, about the opera on its 150th birthday:

http://www.economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21637349-magic-wagners-opera-springs-musical-trick-spine-tingling-and-blissful

I love both: The Blue Gardenia (1953) and Ministry of Fear (1944) very much. Neither are shown nearly as often as I could wish. The last time: The Blue Gardenia (1953) aired in an evening was March, 2008.

I believe that Raymond Burr was excellent choice because he carried aura of charming predator. 

I feel it is unfortunate that they did not include: Beyond A Reasonable Doubt (1956) for same night. It is scheduled to air: Thursday, January 29 instead.

130_eapoe1_zpsc461f92c.jpg

Though, I have to say, if he had had the chance, he probably would have been into these Fritz Lang thrillers, too. In fact, he might have been really raven about them!

Get it? . . .  Raven about them. . . . (Or did that one just fly for everyone's head?) ;)

Get it? . . .  Raven about them. . . . (Or did that one just fly for everyone's head?) ;)

No, I got it. LOL  I was actually busy thinking about MGM's THE MAN WITH A CLOAK (starring Joe Cotten). I think Lang would have been perfectly suited to that film. Instead, directing duties went to Fletcher Markle.

No, I got it. LOL  I was actually busy thinking about MGM's THE MAN WITH A CLOAK (starring Joe Cotten). I think Lang would have been perfectly suited to that film. Instead, directing duties went to Fletcher Markle.

Thanks, TB. Cracking a joke on these threads sometimes reminds me of that line that Bob Hope had in Cat and the Canary. "Don't big empty houses scare you?" he was asked. "Not me," Hope replied, "I used to be in vaudeville."

• Like 1

I would really like to see "hangmen also die!" Its on dvd from kino, which often means rights issues so i dunno if wr'll see it on tcm anytime soon... or ever.

Not really much in to "blue gardenia"; but the title song is wonderful. Dinah washington also does a good version.

"Secret behind the door" was on youtube. I tried to watch it. It was not good.

"Wancho Natawious" has recently shown up on tcm. It is excellent.

Agree Lang deserves a whole months spotlight...moreso than some curious choices of late.

Ed note- i am posting from my phone snd not used to it, thus the terse style.

• Like 1

I would really like to see "hangmen also die!" Its on dvd from kino, which often means rights issues so i dunno if wr'll see it on tcm anytime soon... or ever.

Lorna,

HANGMEN ALSO DIE! shows up on TCM about once a year. They do seem to air titles owned by Kino. I would love to see a primetime double feature of THE MORTAL STORM and HANGMEN ALSO DIE!, wouldn't you? In both films, we have a professor (Frank Morgan, Walter Brennan) who tries to warn people about the dangers that surround them.

Are all of you sure there hasn't been a Lang showcase sometime in the past? It seems like I remember posting quite a bit about his films maybe six or seven years ago. There used to be a regular thing where there would be a director showcase, maybe not monthly but more than once a year.

Are all of you sure there hasn't been a Lang showcase sometime in the past? It seems like I remember posting quite a bit about his films maybe six or seven years ago. There used to be a regular thing where there would be a director showcase, maybe not monthly but more than once a year.

Going back to 2009, the only Lang tribute I've found was in June of that year, when on the 8th of that month TCM ran 7 of his more commonly shown Hollywood films between 6:00 AM and 8:00 PM, as part of a month long retrospective on directors that was similar in format to SUTS.  The difference was that instead of a director getting an entire 24 hours, the day would be split between 6:00 AM - 8:00 PM and 8:00 PM - 6:00 AM, which doubled the number of directors but reduced the amount of depth.

And yes, there have been month long tributes to directors, in recent years most notably honoring Kurosawa, Truffaut and Hitchcock.  I'm sure there were others, but those were the three that stood out for me.  A similar month devoted to Lang, where we'd get his available Weimar films as well as his Hollywood movies, would be one of the better tributes in a long, long time. All 21 of those films I listed earlier HAVE been shown now and then in the past 5 years, so it's not as if they don't exist or can't be had.

And then for the one TCM premiere, we could wrap it up with The 1000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse. Talk about a fabulous lineup. It sure would beat Elvis Presley month.

There's not much that wouldnt beat out an Elvis festival for my attention...as if January wasnt a cruddy enough month without the constant Elvis tributes.

I wish someone would spill a grape faygo all over the master print of "clambake."

Ugh.

And then for the one TCM premiere, we could wrap it up with The 1000 Eyes of Dr. Mabuse. Talk about a fabulous lineup. It sure would beat Elvis Presley month.

There's not much that wouldnt beat out an Elvis festival for my attention...as if January wasnt a cruddy enough month without the constant Elvis tributes.

I wish someone would spill a grape faygo all over the master print of "clambake."

Ugh.

Elvis should've taken a hint from James Dean, and quit while he was ahead sometime in his early 20's.  Once Col. Parker made him into a de facto corporate brand when he got out of the Army, it was all over but the peanut butter and bananas.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings