Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Redford January 2015 Star of the Month

HelenBaby2

He has a prominent place on my list of favorites. Saw a lot of his 60's movies when I worked as an usher from 1965-70. Our theatre showed them all and I became a fan from 'Situation Hopeless, But Not Serious' on, enjoying every single performance he gave, one by one.

A very special screen actor.

• Like 1

Political activist that he is, Redford was intrigued by Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein and their investigation into the 1972 Watergate break-in and subsequent Nixon White House coverup. It was he who persuaded Woodstein to write "All the President's Men," which became an immediate best-selling book. He then acquired the rights to turn it into a movie.

Looking through his filmography, it's surprising to see how many of his films TCM has shown.  I'm glad to see The Candidate--a fine effort by Michael Ritchie, with a devastating last line.  All the others have been seen often enough, except for Downhill Racer, which was shown a couple times years ago.

Too bad TCM didn't get The Hot Rock, an unassuming caper movie, but it had good chemistry between Redford and George Segal, and  Paul Sand (if anyone remembers him), and--ZERO MOSTEL!, in one of his sleaziest roles ever.  Delightful.

Another I'd like to see is The Electric Horseman, though you can see the end coming a ways off.

As I recall, Three Days of the Condor is pretty darn good. A genuinely original and intriguing premise makes this an unusual espionage/thriller, and Redford strikes just the right note of (justified) paranoia.

Yes, it is.  Really well done.  And a terrific supporting cast, if you could call a line-up of actors who were accustomed to playing the lead a 'supporting cast':  Faye Dunaway, Max Von Sydow, and Cliff Robertson.

As I recall, Three Days of the Condor is pretty darn good. A genuinely original and intriguing premise makes this an unusual espionage/thriller, and Redford strikes just the right note of (justified) paranoia.

Yes, it is a good movie.

I saw it for the first time when it aired on TCM on Faye Dunaway's day during the most recent Summer Under The Stars.

I'm a fan of 1970's movies so I'm definitely looking forward to this month's salute to Robert Redford.

I like Robert Redford a lot. Saw him in person once at an award ceremony in NYC, he seemed like an utterly gracious human being: a mensch. My favorite movie that he's in is Out of Africa. I love that film. Unfortunately, he's miscast as the upper-class English expatriate Denys Finch-Hatton. If Meryl Streep could perfect a Danish accent for the film, surely Redford could have tried to sound a little English? Most of the other actors were English, so he was sort of out of synch. But he looked great, and I'm glad the film is being shown as part of his tribute.

I like Robert Redford a lot. Saw him in person once at an award ceremony in NYC, he seemed like an utterly gracious human being: a mensch. My favorite movie that he's in is Out of Africa. I love that film. Unfortunately, he's miscast as the upper-class English expatriate Denys Finch-Hatton. If Meryl Streep could perfect a Danish accent for the film, surely Redford could have tried to sound a little English? Most of the other actors were English, so he was sort of out of synch. But he looked great, and I'm glad the film is being shown as part of his tribute.

When I saw parts of OUT OF AFRICA when it aired on TCM recently I noticed that Redford was using a speech pattern different than his usual one (at least in the scenes I saw)---although it was not noticeably an English accent.

When I saw parts of OUT OF AFRICA when it aired on TCM recently I noticed that Redford was using a speech pattern different than his usual one (at least in the scenes I saw)---although it was not noticeably an English accent.

I have it on DVD, but I'm going to wait until it's on TCM and watch it again, to see if I can notice what you say. 

I'm very happy about this selection.  I really like Robert Redford.  I'll admit that I don't find him as much of a "dreamboat" that others do.  I'm not trying to say that he's unattractive, I just don't go for blonde/blue eye guys.  For me, there isn't the eye candy factor, I just like his films and look forward to seeing more of him this month on TCM.  While I love films from the 30s-50s, I've found myself getting into the 60s-70s films more recently.  While they're definitely different than the Golden Era films, I love the grittiness of this era of filmmaking.  I'm happy that TCM made this selection.  I have also found it interesting to see Golden Era stars in films from this era.  It's interesting to see them adapt to the changing movie scene.  Hearing William Holden use profanity and have a sex scene in Network was quite interesting, it was kind of jarring at first.

Anyway, back to Redford.  I saw him in one of his earliest films, Inside Daisy Clover with Natalie Wood.  While I can't say I was a big fan of the film, I did like the Redford/Wood pairing.  I am looking forward to seeing him in their other film together, This Property is Condemned.  I think the film is on Instant Streaming on Netflix however.  I've wanted to see him with Jane Fonda in Barefoot in the Park (which was on Netflix Instant too, but I missed it).  I really liked Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, but I think his second effort with Newman, The Sting, is my favorite.  I've also seen The Natural which I remember liking.  

It looks like Jan 20 is the night of Redford's romance films.  I'd like to see Out of Africa, I've never seen it before.  How is his and Mia Farrow's version of The Great Gatsby?  I'm a big fan of the book.  Do they stay loyal to the source material?  I'd also like to see his two political films: The Candidate and All the President's MenThree Days of Condor looks good too.  I've just discovered Faye Dunaway (well I knew who she was, just hadn't seen much of her work) and would like to see more of her films.  I was reading about The Electric Horseman, it sounded good.  It's a shame that it doesn't seem to be part of the star of the month tribute.

I've just discovered Faye Dunaway (well I knew who she was, just hadn't seen much of her work) and would like to see more of her films. 

I also only really discovered Faye Dunaway's work relatively recently.

I was familiar with her before but had never see any of her movies.

Now she is one of my all-time favorite movie actors.

Her day during the most recent Summer Under The Stars was my favorite one .

I also only really discovered Faye Dunaway's work relatively recently.

I was familiar with her before but had never see any of her movies.

Now she is one of my all-time favorite movie actors.

Her day during the most recent Summer Under The Stars was my favorite one .

At the risk of derailing the Robert Redford thread and turning it into the Faye Dunaway thread...

I had only seen her in The Thomas Crown Affair (which despite the intriguing cast: Steve McQueen & Dunaway, I thought it was boring) and Mommie Dearest.  I know this was a controversial film and it's ridiculously campy and over-the-top, but I found it hilarious.  NO WIRE HANGERS EVER!  What has really piqued my interest in her was her performance in Network.  I just saw the film for the first time a few months ago when it was one of The Essentials.  I loved it.  While it was shocking at first to see my dreamboat William Holden looking so much older than I was accustomed, I got over it and found the film enjoyable.  While it's definitely not a feel good film, I thought Dunaway's character was fascinating.  She was ruthless.  I absolutely loved this film and hope to procure my own copy when I find it.  I hope TCM continues to feature more of Dunaway...

and Redford!

I absolutely loved this film and hope to procure my own copy when I find it.  I hope TCM continues to feature more of Dunaway

She will appear in Richard Lester's follow-up to his Three Musketeers titled, naturally, The Four Musketeers:

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 11 @ 06:15 PM (ET).

Though I loathe to use faddish jargon, it can justifiably said this is a darker undertaking than the first film.

She will appear in Richard Lester's follow-up to his Three Musketeers titled, naturally, The Four Musketeers:

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 11 @ 06:15 PM (ET).

Though I loathe to use faddish jargon, it can justifiably said this is a darker undertaking than the first film.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.  I've seen many incarnations of Dumas' story, so it'll be interesting to see Lester's take.

I debated whether to start a new thread, but I don't feel what I'm about to post is dramatically out of bounds for what's already being discussed here. Thinking 15 films felt really sparse for a Star of the Month (Cary Grant got almost three times that many), I thought I'd do a quick IMDB check to see just what's NOT being played this month. I stopped at 1993, but here's a list of Redford's films as an actor that aren't being included. I also listed to the studios behind each film. You will see a definite pattern that probably indicates why these movies aren't being shown:

1965 SITUATION HOPELESS BUT NOT SERIOUS (Paramount)

1969 TELL THEM WILLIE BOY IS HERE (Universal)

1970 LITTLE FAUSS & BIG HALSEY (Paramount)

1972 THE HOT ROCK (20th Century Fox)

1975 THE GREAT WALDO PEPPER (Universal)

1977 A BRIDGE TOO FAR (United Artists)

1979 THE ELECTRIC HORSEMAN (Universal)

1980 BRUBAKER (20th Century Fox)

1984 THE NATURAL (Tri-Star)

1986 LEGAL EAGLES (Universal)

1990 HAVANA (Universal)

1992 SNEAKERS (Universal)

1993 INDECENT PROPOSAL (Paramount)

As you can see, Universal, Paramount and Fox are all over that list. I know that TCM has previously aired WILLIE BOY, because I remember watching it, and I feel about 90 per cent sure TCM has previously aired THE NATURAL, but neither made the list this time around. Also, in interest of fairness, I should point out TCM is showing both THE STING and OUT OF AFRICA, which are Universal movies, but movies Universal apparently doesn't mind leasing out, because TCM has shown both of them many times before (ditto Fox's BUTCH CASSIDY, which has aired numerous times).

I am not unhappy with the films being shown - even if the lineup is pretty heavily weighted toward his '60s pre-superstardom material - but I certainly wouldn't have minded if a few of the above films had also made the cut.

• Like 3

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.  I've seen many incarnations of Dumas' story, so it'll be interesting to see Lester's take.

Lester stays close to the novel, except in one matter, which you will find out if you have read it.  I will say that it changes a worldly aside in the novel into a Hollywood romantic (not romance) catharsis.  This is very roundabout, and I don't mean to make too much of a deal about it, but because there is a hyper sensitivity around these days about 'spoiling' a move I won't say any more.  As I said, if you read the novel, you will know what I am talking about.

It looks like Jan 20 is the night of Redford's romance films.  I'd like to see Out of Africa, I've never seen it before.  How is his and Mia Farrow's version of The Great Gatsby?  I'm a big fan of the book.  Do they stay loyal to the source material? 

I like the Redford version of "The Great Gatsby," but I don't love it. As much as I admire Mia Farrow, I would have liked to see Ali MacGraw play Daisy. I can't remember if MacGraw was the original choice, but it was her idea to make the movie. She was married to Paramount production chief Robert Evans at the time. But Farrow wound up with the role -- and the first-ever cover of People magazine in 1974.

people.JPG

Some things I love about "The Great Gatsby":

• Sam Waterston -- As narrator Nick Carraway, he is the heart and soul of the film, and we see many things through his eyes. This was a noteworthy picture for the actor, who went on to receive an Academy Award nomination for his work in "The Killing Fields" (1984). He also starred in the long-running "Law and Order" television series and the recent HBO drama "The Newsroom."
  • Lois Chiles -- This was the second consecutive Redford film that featured this statuesque Texan with the dark good looks. She played a minor role in "The Way We Were" (1973). This time, she appears as Daisy's friend, professional golfer Jordan Baker. Chiles would go on to match wits (and generate sparks) with Roger Moore's James Bond in the 1979 out-of-this-world spy film "Moonraker." Her character's unforgettable name: Dr. Holly Goodhead.
  • Scott Wilson -- I've always liked this Atlanta-born actor from his early roles in "In Cold Blood" (1967) and "In the Heat of the Night" (1967). As George Wilson, the deluded husband of the unfaithful Myrtle (Karen Black), he becomes the unfortunate catalyst for Gatsby's undoing. Now 72, Scott Wilson later loomed as a solid presence during Seasons 2-4 of TV's "The Walking Dead" in the role of veterinarian Hershel Greene.
  • Nelson Riddle's adaptation score -- The veteran arranger (1921-1985), who collaborated with the likes of Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis and Linda Ronstadt, won his only Academy Award for his work on this film. He also created the theme for the 1960s television series "Route 66" and provided music scores for TV's "The Untouchables" and "Batman."
  • Theoni V. Aldredge's costumes -- "The Gatsby look" was very hot in 1974, and much of the credit for that goes to the Greek-born designer (1923-2011) who won an Oscar for her efforts in the film. Almost 40 years later, Australia's Catherine Martin, the wife of director Baz Luhrmann, won a Best Costume Design Oscar for her husband's 2013 version of "The Great Gatsby."
  • The green light at the end of Daisy's dock -- In F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, it's a metaphor for Gatsby's desire to reclaim his past. It's a haunting image each time it appears in the film. 

Is the film loyal to the source material, considered by many to be the Great American Novel? Let's just say it's about as good a screen adaptation of Fitzgerald's work as you'll ever find. The movie's screenwriter would go on to win three 1974 Academy Awards -- Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay (with Mario Puzo) -- for "The Godfather Part II." His name: Francis Ford Coppola.

• Like 2

I love Redford and I'm not talking about his looks. THE HORSE WHISPERER is one of my favorite movies despite the insipid Kristin Scott Thomas. My Mom raves over OUT OF AFRICA, for many of the same reasons....the use of "place" to help tell the story.

Many years ago I was told to see his THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR, which I remember hearing about when it was released, but never saw it. I was told it was an excellent film, but it's not available at the library or been shown on TCM!

Many years ago I was told to see his THE MILAGRO BEANFIELD WAR, which I remember hearing about when it was released, but never saw it. I was told it was an excellent film, but it's not available at the library or been shown on TCM!

"The Milago Beanfield War" was shown at least once -- in 2009 -- when TCM explored "Race & Hollywood: Latino Images in Film."

• Like 1

I recently watched The Candidate when I was on a vacation in September. It's a very good film and probably one of his best.

He's a celebrity who kept a low profile personally but uses his fame wisely, like fostering independent film making. I like the person he is.

• Like 1

I recently watched The Candidate when I was on a vacation in September. It's a very good film and probably one of his best.

He's a celebrity who kept a low profile personally but uses his fame wisely, like fostering independent film making. I like the person he is.

He never had the reputation of being a skirt-chaser that Warren Beatty, the star with whom he is indelibly linked, had.

I like the Redford version of "The Great Gatsby," but I don't love it. As much as I admire Mia Farrow, I would have liked to see Ali MacGraw play Daisy. I can't remember if MacGraw was the original choice, but it was her idea to make the movie. She was married to Paramount production chief Robert Evans at the time. But Farrow wound up with the role -- and the first-ever cover of People magazine in 1974.

people.JPG

Hmmm, I wonder when the last time was that People magazine ever ran a feature on Alexsandr Solzhenitsyn? :P

I debated whether to start a new thread, but I don't feel what I'm about to post is dramatically out of bounds for what's already being discussed here. Thinking 15 films felt really sparse for a Star of the Month (Cary Grant got almost three times that many), I thought I'd do a quick IMDB check to see just what's NOT being played this month. I stopped at 1993, but here's a list of Redford's films as an actor that aren't being included. I also listed to the studios behind each film. You will see a definite pattern that probably indicates why these movies aren't being shown:

1965 SITUATION HOPELESS BUT NOT SERIOUS (Paramount)

1969 TELL THEM WILLIE BOY IS HERE (Universal)

1970 LITTLE FAUSS & BIG HALSEY (Paramount)

1972 THE HOT ROCK (20th Century Fox)

1975 THE GREAT WALDO PEPPER (Universal)

1977 A BRIDGE TOO FAR (United Artists)

1979 THE ELECTRIC HORSEMAN (Universal)

1980 BRUBAKER (20th Century Fox)

1984 THE NATURAL (Tri-Star)

1986 LEGAL EAGLES (Universal)

1990 HAVANA (Universal)

1992 SNEAKERS (Universal)

1993 INDECENT PROPOSAL (Paramount)

As you can see, Universal, Paramount and Fox are all over that list. I know that TCM has previously aired WILLIE BOY, because I remember watching it, and I feel about 90 per cent sure TCM has previously aired THE NATURAL, but neither made the list this time around. Also, in interest of fairness, I should point out TCM is showing both THE STING and OUT OF AFRICA, which are Universal movies, but movies Universal apparently doesn't mind leasing out, because TCM has shown both of them many times before (ditto Fox's BUTCH CASSIDY, which has aired numerous times).

I am not unhappy with the films being shown - even if the lineup is pretty heavily weighted toward his '60s pre-superstardom material - but I certainly wouldn't have minded if a few of the above films had also made the cut.

TCM has aired THE NATURAL a few times in the past.

I think (but am not certain) that they have aired SNEAKERS at least once.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings