Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Best "Best Pictures" of All time Poll!

skimpole

Here's an idea.  People can list their 10 favorite Best Picture oscar winners in this thread, and I will calculate the winner based on all submissions to this poll by midnight MST Saturday January 31.

Oh wait.  Can you include Sunrise in this list?  Sure, why not.

Here's an idea.  People can list their 10 favorite Best Picture oscar winners in this thread, and I will calculate the winner based on all submissions to this poll by midnight MST Saturday January 31.

In no particular order-----THE APARTMENT, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, REBECCA, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, THE LOST WEEKEND, MARTY, GIGI, THE STING, RAIN MAN

I don't see many Oscar winners as serious contenders for "Best Picture Ever", but here are my favorites of the lot, in order of preference:

1950 - "All About Eve" - Far and away the best

1946 - "The Best Years of Our Lives"

2006 - "The Departed"

1974 - "The Godfather Part II"

1972 - "The Godfather"

2013 – “Twelve Years a Slave”

1931/1932 - "Grand Hotel"

1964 - "My Fair Lady"

1943 - "Casablanca"

1949 - "All the King's Men"

Other than "All About Eve", none of the others would make my top 10 list, and maybe not even my top 25 or 50. In fact I'd probably find more than a few Oscar BP winners on my list of All Time Worst Movies.

Do you have all the winners from which we can choose? :)

The Best Years of Our Lives

The Apartment

Casablanca

Unforgiven

Singin' in the Rain

(...oh...wait...that last one many consider THE best musical ever made wasn't even nominated in this category, huh...that lousy circus movie of DeMille's won the year I was born, huh...never mind then) ;)

1. All About Eve

2. Casablanca

3. It Happened One Night

4. Rebecca

5. From Here to Eternity

6. An American in Paris

7. The Sting

8. The Apartment

9. West Side Story

10. Amadeus

I haven't seen a lot of the Best Picture winners, so my list might be rather limited by what I have seen and what I liked from among those. 

I would have loved to have given You Can't Take it With You's Academy Award to The Adventures of Robin Hood, How Green Was My Valley's to Citizen Kane and Rocky's to Network.

We should definitely do a similar poll of The 100 Greatest Films Of All Time According To TCM Fans (namely, us).'

Meanwhile, here's my list:

1. 1934 - "It Happened One Night"
  2. 1960 - "The Apartment"
  3. 1946 - "The Best Years of Our Lives"
  4. 1964 - "My Fair Lady"
  5. 1943 - "Casablanca"
  6. 1961 - "West Side Story"
  7. 1950 - "All About Eve"
  8. 1973 - "The Sting"
  9. 1951 - "An American in Paris"
  10. 1938 - "You Can't Take It with You"

I only have four (in order of bestiness):

1943 - "Casablanca"

1972 - "The Godfather"

1974 - "The Godfather Part II"

1977 - "Annie Hall"

Glad I saw this.  Somehow I missed "The Godfather Part II", but I went back and now that's 4th on my list, between "The Departed" and the 1972 "Godfather", with "Midnight Cowboy" being bumped off at the bottom.  Sorry, Dustin!  Sorry, "John" Voight!

• Like 1

Hope I renew some interest in this thread by kicking it back up. Took me several days to formulate a Top Ten. It's true - some Best Picture winners are real groaners. But here are ten I'm unashamed to promote, given the caveat that SUNRISE counts. Here we go, in descending order of preference:

#1 THE DEER HUNTER

#2 UNFORGIVEN

#3 THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

#4 NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

#5 CASABLANCA

#6 ON THE WATERFRONT

#7 ROCKY

#8 GANDHI

#9 SUNRISE

#10 IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

Hope I renew some interest in this thread by kicking it back up. Took me several days to formulate a Top Ten. It's true - some Best Picture winners are real groaners. But here are ten I'm unashamed to promote, given the caveat that SUNRISE counts. Here we go, in descending order of preference:

#1 THE DEER HUNTER

#2 UNFORGIVEN

#3 THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

#4 NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

#5 CASABLANCA

#6 ON THE WATERFRONT

#7 ROCKY

#8 GANDHI

#9 SUNRISE

#10 IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT

I'm glad you put LOTR:ROTK on your list-- with so few slots I ended up kicking out the couple of more recent films I loved.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings