Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Pre-Censor Movie/Actor/Actress

paroland

"Hero's for Sale!" 1933

Being a Vietnam Veteran, I was really saddened to see the problems I went through, are the "SAME" exact problems TODAY'S Veterans, and those that served our Country 100 years ago!

You'd think the VA would be able to do a better job, helping veterans by now!

But, the problem gets WORSE every WAR!

Thank you for the welcome message Mr.6666…!

WW scared the hell out of me!

(Met a LOT of his kind in the past 64 years)

The Parrot's name is "Lucky!"

It WAS "Chicho."

But, he's escaped fatal calamities so many times since he was a baby, he's earned the NEW name a dozen times over!

.. & in he's EARNED the name!!

• Like 1

I think most of my favorite stars made films during the pre-code and then continued onto further success in the production code era.  For this question, I think I'm gonna go with people who reached the peak of their fame during this time period.

ACTRESS

Jean Harlow

Carole Lombard

Joan Blondell

ACTOR

Edward G. Robinson

William Powell

The Marx Brothers

• Like 1

Thank you for the welcome message Mr.6666…!

WW scared the hell out of me!

(Met a LOT of his kind in the past 64 years)

The Parrot's name is "Lucky!"

It WAS "Chicho."

But, he's escaped fatal calamities so many times since he was a baby, he's earned the NEW name a dozen times over!

.. & in he's EARNED the name!!

WW scary? MY WW?  :D

Pre-codes are my favorite, as are most of the films of the 1930s and 1940s. TCM and AMC before it used to show these almost all the time, not so much now. Although so far this year, they've been very cooperative.

Is that a lovebird? How old is Lucky?

Welcome to the boards, paroland.

Thank you for the welcome primosprimos. Lucky is not a lovebird, he's a Pineapple Cheek Condor Parrot!

I agree, AMC WAS Great, (Until they started showing commercials during the movies)

Thank God for TCM!

As for Lucky's age? My daughter gave him to me when he was 8 weeks old, & I've had him almost two years!

I'm sorry about "YOUR WW" scared me. But, you have to see him chew-up the scenery & other actors in this story! You won't believe what he gets away with! You will be surprised his character was allowed to be shown to audiences in theaters.. Even back then!

Thank you for the welcome primosprimos. Lucky is not a lovebird, he's a Pineapple Cheek Condor Parrot!

I agree, AMC WAS Great, (Until they started showing commercials during the movies)

Thank God for TCM!

As for Lucky's age? My daughter gave him to me when he was 8 weeks old, & I've had him almost two years!

I'm sorry about "YOUR WW" scared me. But, you have to see him chew-up the scenery & other actors in this story! You won't believe what he gets away with! You will be surprised his character was allowed to be shown to audiences in theaters.. Even back then!

:D Oh, I think/hope I've seen everything WW did. Can't explain the attraction, but there's something about him. I wasn't enthralled with EE, but mostly because of the outcome. And yes, this movie was cartoonish. But oh, those Orry Kelly gowns.

Beautiful bird. I think they live to be 30 years old!

I think most of my favorite stars made films during the pre-code and then continued onto further success in the production code era.  For this question, I think I'm gonna go with people who reached the peak of their fame during this time period.

ACTRESS

Jean Harlow

Carole Lombard

Joan Blondell

ACTOR

Edward G. Robinson

William Powell

The Marx Brothers

Actor----Warren William, no contest.........Actress---early Stanwyck

• Like 1

Hah!

Welcome, Newbie--

And it took me a while to reckon out WHO "W W" was-----

Walter Winchell?

William WINDOM?

But then, since I missed the movie yesterday, I had to try to REMEMBER it....

But, yes, I knew it was Warren you were referring to.  I just thought I'd have some fun ;)

I don't really know HOW anybody wants this query answered.  There are several who were great in "pre-codes" whose careers sustained beyond.  Like:

MYRNA LOY

And, yeah----LORETTA YOUNG

CLAUDETTE COLBERT

JOAN BLONDELL ( With those big....um....EYES!)

KATHERINE HEPBURN

SPENCER TRACY

FREDERIC MARCH

JAMES CAGNEY

PAUL MUNI

PAULETTE GODDARD

So, I'll just leave it at that.

Sepiatone

I assume 'pre-censor' means pre-code movies;  Movies made before the Production Code was enforced in July of 1934.

IF that if the topic here,  I'm surprised to see actors like Paulette Goddard and Carol Lombard.  Yes, they made films during the pre-code era but none that are known today as 'classic' pre-code movies.   I don't know if I would say Spencer Tracy has a classic pre-code movie but at least he made many more pre-code movies then Goddard or Lombard (especially Goddard).

My choices are;  Stanwyck  (for Baby Face alone she should be honored),  Joan Blondell,  Jean Harlow (Red Headed Women is a must see pre-code film),  Kay Francis,  and Loretta Young.

Warren William (perfect actor for the pre-code era),  Cagney, and William Powell.   

As a team I would add Crawford and Gable.  

OH;  Nice Parrot.   I have 2 Conures and 2 Cockatiels.     

• Like 1

I would like to add a "foreign" pre-code movie that would be considered just as shocking & controversial (amongst) today's audience's.. As it was when first released in Germany in 1931!

Fritz Lang's "M"

*1931 (Germany) 1933 (USA)

Peter Lorre is the best remembered actor in the film, & deserves credit for portraying the most frightening, totally believable pedophile/psycho/murderer ever portrayed on film (Ever!)

However,

There wasn't one actor in the film that was not just as believable, nor any less Brilliant in performing their role! (Mostly) thanks to Fritz Lang's brilliant script writing and direction!

*It was Lang's favorite movie too!

Not shown very often, but if you get a chance to catch the original, German language version,(English subtitles)

Don't You Miss It!

Lets not forget one of the very best in pre code actresses was the wonderful Ann Dvorak [ as she said the "D" is silent and it's pronounced Vor shack] Some of her great pre codes were "Scarface" with Paul Muni, "Sky Devil" with Spencer Tracy, "The Crowd Roars" with Cagney and the terrific "3 On a Match" where she steals the film from Bette Davis and Joan Blondell. A really wonderful actress and a very sexy one...

• Like 1

Lets not forget one of the very best in pre code actresses was the wonderful Ann Dvorak [ as she said the "D" is silent and it's pronounced Vor shack] Some of her great pre codes were "Scarface" with Paul Muni, "Sky Devil" with Spencer Tracy, "The Crowd Roars" with Cagney and the terrific "3 On a Match" where she steals the film from Bette Davis and Joan Blondell. A really wonderful actress and a very sexy one...

She was very good. Imagine having all that trouble with pronunciation (I never knew it was pronounced that way), when your given name was McKim! It was probably one of the Warners forced it on her.

Speaking of pronunciation, it wasn't until I heard a fellow actor call Zasu Pitts by her name that I realized I had it wrong - it's Zay-zoo. Now, if I had only googled:

Yes,   I should have listed Ann Dvorak as one of the top pre-code actors.   Sadly the enforcement of the Production code really cramp her style.     She is my favorite 'forgotten' actress.    But I was a fool to forget her as well!  

I was gonna say the Marx Brothers too. They are so much funnier pre-code. "This magnificent chest-- no, this mag-- no, this magnificent chest..."

Kinda makes me wonder what was in those 3 minutes of 'Horse Feathers' (1932) that got censored out.

I assume 'pre-censor' means pre-code movies;  Movies made before the Production Code was enforced in July of 1934.

IF that if the topic here,  I'm surprised to see actors like Paulette Goddard and Carol Lombard.  Yes, they made films during the pre-code era but none that are known today as 'classic' pre-code movies.   I don't know if I would say Spencer Tracy has a classic pre-code movie but at least he made many more pre-code movies then Goddard or Lombard (especially Goddard).

My choices are;  Stanwyck  (for Baby Face alone she should be honored),  Joan Blondell,  Jean Harlow (Red Headed Women is a must see pre-code film),  Kay Francis,  and Loretta Young.

Warren William (perfect actor for the pre-code era),  Cagney, and William Powell.   

As a team I would add Crawford and Gable.  

OH;  Nice Parrot.   I have 2 Conures and 2 Cockatiels.     

...so Warren William does not deserve to be SOTM? TCM, are you reading this thread?

...so Warren William does not deserve to be SOTM? TCM, are you reading this thread?

Did I ever say Warren William does NOT deserve to be SOTM?    The only question with Warren would be if TCM has access to enough films for him to be SOTM.    

TCM should show his movies grouped as:

Warren as Perry Mason character

Warren as the Wolf character

Warren as a wolf (cad)  (of course this would have to be more then just 4 films!)

Warren - the later years

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings