Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great One Shot Screen Teamings

TomJH

Once in a while I will see a pair of screen actors whose chemistry together was like striking gold. Yet, for whatever reason, they only make the one film together.

Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman in Casablanca may be the most famous illustration of that.

4745f0e7-3185-42bc-9fc7-d2dbb0cbe4c7_zps

But a further brilliant example, in my opinion, was when Michael Caine and Sean Connery (friends in real life) were coupled together in John Huston's memorable Man Who Would Be King.

manwhowouldbeking_zps743a0b0a.jpg

Has anybody got any other favourite screen pairings that happened only one time?

D'OH!  That's right!

But, they weren't exactly teamed together in that one, were they?

Sepiatone

Certainly not like in the Wilder film. They really only did have a handful of scenes together in Great Race, it seems to me. You may have a point there, that they really weren't a "team" in the second film.

Going by that logic then, yeah, Lemmon and Curtis could be considered a great one shot screen team, I suppose.

Yeah, I got one...and say what ya want about the movie, BUT I always thought Clark and Vivien played off each other rather well.

(...but word is the reason it never happened again was that Vivien couldn't get past Clark's halitosis!)

Another great screen team: Errol Flynn and David Niven in The Dawn Patrol. Wonderful comarderie on screen that captured to a large degree the antics they shared together off screen, I suspect.

(Niven's previous small part in Flynn's Charge of the Light Brigade does not qualify as a real screen teaming, in my opinion).

5d02662d-3068-4e64-9526-ae459c662cb1_zps

Yeah, I got one...and say what ya want about the movie, BUT I always thought Clark and Vivien played off each other rather well.

(...but word is the reason it never happened again was that Vivien couldn't get past Clark's halitosis!)

My favourite moment between those two is the scene in which Gable proposes marriage to Leigh on bended knee. As a born cynic, he's poking fun at the whole idea of the romantic tradition behind that bended knee cliche.

Two of my favourite Gable lines in the film come in that same scene preceding the proposal, spoken with great amusement as Scarlet is crying:

"Scarlet, I think you're on the verge of a crying jag."

"Have a handkerchief, my dear. Never in a moment of crisis have I known you to have a handkerchief."

My favourite moment between those two is the scene in which Gable proposes marriage to Leigh on bended knee. As a born cynic, he's poking fun at the whole idea of the romantic tradition behind that bended knee cliche.

Two of my favourite Gable lines in the film come in that same scene preceding the proposal, spoken with great amusement as Scarlet is crying:

"Scarlet, I think you're on the verge of a crying jag."

"Have a handkerchief, my dear. Never in a moment of crisis have I known you to have a handkerchief."

Yep, there really are so many other in that movie where Gable so effectively portrays the "realist/cynic" in shared scenes with and in contrast to Leigh's more "fanciful" ideas of what's "proper".

(...another one being when he says to Melanie after she gives her wedding ring away for "the cause" during the ball, that it was one of the most gracious things he'd ever observed, and then when the newly widowed Scarlett does the same thing in order to SEEM "gracious" he says, "And I know EXACTLY how much this means to YOU, Scarlett!") 

Yep, there really are so many other in that movie where Gable so effectively portrays the "realist/cynic" in shared scenes with and in contrast to Leigh's more "fanciful" ideas of what's "proper".

(...another one being when he says to Melanie after she gives her wedding ring away for "the cause" during the ball, that it was one of the most gracious things he'd ever observed, and then when the newly widowed Scarlett does the same thing in order to SEEM "gracious" he says, "And I know EXACTLY how much this means to YOU, Scarlett!") 

Well, in Rhett's first appearance in the film, as he has that wolf leer on his face while looking up the staircase at Scarlett, Leigh says, "He looks like he knows what I look like without my shimmy."

And that pretty well sums up the way it is for the rest of the film with them, Rhett seeing though Scarlett's poses and artifices, a quality that adds to her discomfort and infuriation with him but that the audience appreciates about Gable's worldly rogue character.

• Like 3

I think that Bogart and Katherine Hepburn did very well together in THE AFRICAN QUEEN (a pairing that must not have seemed logical at the time).  I would have liked to see Carole Lombard and Fredric March (NOTHING SACRED)  do another film together. 

I think that Bogart and Katherine Hepburn did very well together in THE AFRICAN QUEEN (a pairing that must not have seemed logical at the time).  I would have liked to see Carole Lombard and Fredric March (NOTHING SACRED)  do another film together. 

Those are a pair of odd collaborations (the latter one because it was Frederic March in a comedy) that you wouldn't expect to turn out as well as they did. I feel that Bogart and Hepburn were quite magnificent together (in fact, that's my favourite Kate performance).

Yet another Bogart pairing, I feel, with unexpectedly impressive results, was with Gloria Grahame in IN A LONELY PLACE.

One minor point, though, mrroberts, Lombard and March were not a one shot team because they had also worked together in Eagle and the Hawk a few years before. Far different material, to put it mildly, from Nothing Sacred.

Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in Ride The High Country.  I don't recall them making another film together.

Wonderful pick, scscu. I'm sure it was their only film together.

What a great way for Scott to end his career, and for McCrea's next-to-last project. A great teaming of western veterans.

I think that Bogart and Katherine Hepburn did very well together in THE AFRICAN QUEEN (a pairing that must not have seemed logical at the time).

I agree, and I'm flat-out surprised by how well Katharine Hepburn and John Wayne worked together in Rooster Cogburn (as was she).  It's still not something I'll rewatch, but I wasn't expecting to like it at all.

Hepburn was terrific with Jimmy Stewart in The Philadelphia Story, but I don't think they ever worked together again.

Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in Ride The High Country.  I don't recall them making another film together.

And, surprising considering their usual screen personas, with McCrea instead being the "sterner" and "by-the-book" character in this one and with Scott being more the "footloose and fancy free" one easily swayed to go "bad", it still works!

Hepburn was terrific with Jimmy Stewart in The Philadelphia Story, but I don't think they ever worked together again.

I Think Stewart and Maureen O'Hara made a good "husband-wife" team in MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION, and I don't think THEY ever worked together again, either.

But Stewart worked good together with just about EVERYbody he worked with, so that probably goes without saying....

But then again, him and AUDREY MEADOWS also made a good "husband-wife" team!

Sepiatone

One minor point, though, mrroberts, Lombard and March were not a one shot team because they had also worked together in Eagle and the Hawk a few years before. Far different material, to put it mildly, from Nothing Sacred.

Ouch, I tried thinking of any other film with the two of them, I usually try to check those things, but   the one time I didn't and guess what happens?  By the way , FREDRIC (note the spelling, so many get it wrong)   ;)   did several nice comedic performances, I particularly like THERE GOES MY HEART with Virginia Bruce.

One of the GREAT (!!!) screen pairings that few people even seem to know about: Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin in the marvelous action comedy MIDNIGHT RUN:

[media]

[media]

Folks, if you haven't seen this film, do yourselves a huge favour and seek out the DVD. This wonderfully directed film works on so many levels, with an extremely clever screenplay involving bounty hunter De Niro trying to take into custom white collar criminal Grodin, at the same time having to outwit both the FBI and the mob (the latter planning a hit on Grodin) on their trail. 

This film is funny, it's suspenseful, and, at times, genuinely touching. As the film progresses you CARE about its two characters.This is a De Niro that I love, giving a wonderful characterization (without the moods and complexes of so many of his other films) in "light" material, and Grodin, a comedian who delivers a beautifully understated, subtle performance.

A great film!

End of promo. 

• Like 1

I Think Stewart and Maureen O'Hara made a good "husband-wife" team in MR. HOBBS TAKES A VACATION, and I don't think THEY ever worked together again, either.

Actually, Sepiatone, Stewart and O'Hara were re-teamed in a western, The Rare Breed. It co-stars a scene stealing Brian Keith with a thick Scottish accent. If you liked Mr. Hobbs, you should get a kick out of this one, too.

And, yes, needless to say, O'Hara was still a knockout when The Rare Breed was made four years later.

Ouch, I tried thinking of any other film with the two of them, I usually try to check those things, but   the one time I didn't and guess what happens?  By the way , FREDRIC (note the spelling, so many get it wrong)   ;)   

Those are a pair of odd collaborations (the latter one because it was Frederic March in a comedy) that you wouldn't expect to turn out as well as they did. 

Thanks for your diplomacy, mroberts, in NOT pointing out that I'm one of those who misspells Frederic March's first name. See? I just did it again!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings