Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films that SHOULD Be Remade

Yes, we all know that great films should not be remade. However, there are many old films that had a good premise but were flawed by poor scripts, direction, acting, or other. What are some films that you think actually could be good candidates for being remade?

I've been thinking that some of the following are far more worthy candidates that Casablanca or Breakfast at Tiffany's:

Torn Curtain

Portrait in Black

Do Not Disturb

Ruby Gentry

Tender is the Night

Take Her, She?s Mine

Paris ? When it Sizzles

Bloodline

The Sound and the Fury

Well, finally somebody who agrees with me about remakes. I've never understood why somebody would want to remake a great classic (unless it's just ego) when there are thousands of films, that didn't quite make it, but have a lot of potential and deserve a second chance. I'm not going to get into titles because everyone has their own choices, but I like the idea.

As far as classics go, and that includes all the types, I don't think they should try to be remade. Even with the flaws, bad directing, bad lighting. bad sound, they are what they are and shouldn't be touched. Remakes never seem to compare with the originals, IMHO. :) Sue

I have always wished that someone would make a period version of Daddy Long Legs that more accurately captured the spirit of the 1912 book than the three movie versions that have been made over the years. The most recent of the films is the musical version from the '50s; being such an Astaire fan, I like it, but it diverges in many ways from the wonderful book.

If you'd like to read this unmushy love story featuring a strong, ahead-of-her-time young woman, it's in the public domain:

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=157

Author Jean Webster (who died tragically young) wrote a marvelous sequel in 1915, called Dear Enemy. As far as I know that one has never been adapted for film.

sabrina: I'm not 100% sure, but as of now a remake of Breakfast At Tiffany's is not in works "yet". That does not mean someone isn't pitching right now. But again, I'm not sure and since you were getting no replies - thought I'd chime in with what I know. I'm sure tons of people here no more than me.

I've always wondered how many movies got their endings (and plots) altered or even ruined by the demands of the evil Production Code. Two that are favorites of mine that come immediately to mind are "The Letter" and Witness for the Prosecution." The tacked on "moral" endings are dissapointing. Of the two, I don't really want "The Letter" redone (nobody does it better than Bette) but "Witness" might be interesting. Of course, they'd have to set it in the past--with modern forensics and the public's knowledge (thanks to "CSI" and the like), it would never play in a modern setting.

I know there are many, many more movies like this, or movies where things had to implied, instead of stated outright or the woman quit her job for the man or took back her cheating husband instead of castrating him...

Tracey, did you ever see the television remake of Witness for the Prosecution with Ralph Richardson, Beau Bridges and Deborah Kerr? Though Richardson was a very fine actor, it's hard to replace the genius of the original stars of a unique film, regardless of what some people say about it. I think Dietrich was absolutely brilliant in that film and, considering much of her (scant) '50s work was minimal, all the more impressive.

Have you seen the moralistic footage shot, but never used, that was to have ended the original Scarface? Ridiculous. Or the supposed original ending of Double Indemnity where we get to see MacMurray get his due? Thank Heavens better judgment prevailed in both cases. There are so many other examples, I wonder if a thread hasn't already been devoted to that.

Personally, I really hope they don't remake Breakfast At Tiffany's, but as far as Casablanca, I remember hearing a rumor a while back that Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez were interesting in remaking it... I can only pray that that was a rumor and never developed into anything more. -shudders-

Johhnyweekes

No I never saw the TV version. Did they mess it up too? LOL I have read the original Agatha Christie short story that she wrote the stage play from and it ends right where I wanted the movie to end--after Christine says, "I knew he was guilty."

I have to agree about Dietrich (big surprise there) and I think she deserved the Oscar nomination she didn't get much more than she deserved the one she did get--for "Morrocco." And you can't do better than Charles Laughton as the lawyer. The nurse wasn't in the original play, but adding her was a stroke of genius on Wilder's part. The interplay between the two fo them is priceless.

BTW, I got the Wilder book in the mail today, abd started reading it. So far, so good...

None really come to mind. I am quite annoyed with the lack of originality in films today. Almost every movie is either a remake, regurgitation of an old plot or an old TV show.

Even movies that had really silly special effects should be left alone as I find that part of their charm. Yet, I am conflicted as I really enjoyed the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory remake and I must admit I want to see the new King Kong. Perhaps remakes should be reserved for only "action" movies.

Finally I have to say that I am disgusted that someone had the audacity to even consider remaking Casablanca or Breakfast at Tiffany's!!!!! What?!?!?!?