Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Was there/is there a longer version of Jeremiah Johnson (1972)?

Stephan55

Was there/is there a longer version of Jeremiah Johnson?

Watched  again on Tues night (1/6/2015)

Noticed that 77 minutes into the film there was an Intermission/Enter Acte.
This seems a bit unusual to me for a movie that is less than two hours (approximately 115 minutes) long, with credits.
Near the end of the movie there was a brief, 50 second montage, with excerpts of

several scenes illustrating at least half a dozen additional mano-on-mano,

Jeremiah vs Crow warrior, encounters that were not fully shown in the theatrical

release.

Was wondering if director Sydney Pollack had originally planned a much longer

film, that might have benefited from an intermission midway through, but later

decided to edit out most of those battle scenes, while leaving the originally

planned intermission break?

Does anyone know if Pollack left director notes on an extended non-theatrical

version of Jeremiah Johnson?

I think the film plays well as edited, and a long string of fights may have become monotonous, but I'm always interested whenever there is an director's cut, and if an extended version  of this film shows up I sure would be interested in seeing it.

I recall, as a kid, back when movie theaters were only one huge screen (before the age of multiplexes), intermissions and Entr' actes, which were very common then, were more about giving the movie goers time to "go to the lobby" and get themselves "a treat," i.e. spend additional money on over-priced popcorn and drinks, etc. than they were about giving the movie goer a break from a long movie.

The entr' acte and intermission for this movie may not have been indicative of a once longer version, but only a sign of the times.

Many movies back then were also preceded by cartoons, too. I'd love it if TCM started putting cartoons between the movies, especially during prime time.

Thank you fredbaetz & Notan for your comments.

With the web sources that I had checked I, too, could find no indication of a longer running version anywhere.

Sometimes we hear about a director that had a longer cut originally in mind that wasn't practical for theatrical release. Generally those are released later, usually on DVD or Bluray.

Didn't know if director Sydney Pollack had any such thoughts or had left any notes to that effect before he passed away, and thought maybe somebody in the industry might be able to verify.

Lacking that, I would go along with Notan's suggestion, which makes perfect sense, that before VHS & DVDs, there were likely many films that may have had some kind of intermission that we would not think warranted today. Not based on film length, but on the added opportunity they provided for concessions, which is still a major part of theater (and then drive-in) revenue.

BTW, a drive-in was where I first saw JEREMIAH JOHNSON, back in 1972, with my future ex-wife.

Growing up in the day of double & even triple features, with fill-in cartoons, shorts, screenliners, and a host of previews, I should have thought of that myself. Thank you Notan, for bringing those memories back to me.

As a side thought, I remember that when I first saw this movie, in 1972, I thought that Delle Bolton, who played Swan, the Flathead girl that Johnson was coerced into marrying, was very plain, and kind of unattractive at that time. But when I viewed her with older eyes, she had metamorphed into a naturally beautiful, and quite attractive young woman.

I've noticed this change on quite a few of the actresses that I once thought were not very attractive when I was much younger. Somehow, as I've aged, they've become younger and more lovely that I had once thought they were.... strange???   :unsure:

I've noticed this change on quite a few of the actresses that I once thought were not very attractive when I was much younger. Somehow, as I've aged, they've become younger and more lovely that I had once thought they were.... strange???   :unsure:

Not strange.  Your taste has improved.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings