Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If it's not too late: Gail Russell for a SUTS day.

slaytonf

A prime example of how the maw of the studio system could draw people in and chew them up.  Am I being too severe?  Perhaps this delicate beauty would have discovered alcohol independent of her acting career.  Perhaps stage fright was only an aspect of a greater social anxiety.  Perhaps pigs fly.  But even if they do, it doesn't mean The Man didn't feed her into the machine and mangle her.  What I can't understand is that once Miss Russell discovered such crippling fear and crushing unhappiness in acting, why didn't she say good-bye to it?  When I find that something hurts bad, say, banging my head against a wall, I stop doing it, even if it does take a while.  Perhaps is wasn't the alcohol she was addicted to, but the compulsion to place herself in situations that created that gut-knotting fear.  But I'm no psychologist, just a muser.

Well, anyway, I like to focus on the brightness people radiate.  And Gail Russell was certainly cause for a lot of that.  One of the prettiest faces, and trimmest figures in film, and with a pair of blazing blue eyes that I swear could shine through even a black and white movie, she would be a candidate equal to any for a day in Summer Under the Stars.  Here's my list:

The Uninvited (1944)

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay (1944)

The Bachelor's Daughters (1946)

Angel and the Badman (1947)

Calcutta (1947)

Moonrise (1948)

Wake of the Red Witch (1948)

Song of India (1949)

Seven Men From Now (1956)

It needs to be fleshed out to make it a full day.  Any suggestions?

A prime example of how the maw of the studio system could draw people in and chew them up.  Am I being too severe?  Perhaps this delicate beauty would have discovered alcohol independent of her acting career.  Perhaps stage fright was only an aspect of a greater social anxiety.  Perhaps pigs fly.  But even if they do, it doesn't mean The Man didn't feed her into the machine and mangle her.  What I can't understand is that once Miss Russell discovered such crippling fear and crushing unhappiness in acting, why didn't she say good-bye to it?  When I find that something hurts bad, say, banging my head against a wall, I stop doing it, even if it does take a while.  Perhaps is wasn't the alcohol she was addicted to, but the compulsion to place herself in situations that created that gut-knotting fear.  But I'm no psychologist, just a muser.

Well, anyway, I like to focus on the brightness people radiate.  And Gail Russell was certainly cause for a lot of that.  One of the prettiest faces, and trimmest figures in film, and with a pair of blazing blue eyes that I swear could shine through even a black and white movie, she would be a candidate equal to any for a day in Summer Under the Stars.  Here's my list:

The Uninvited (1944)

Our Hearts Were Young and Gay (1944)

The Bachelor's Daughters (1946)

Angel and the Badman (1947)

Calcutta (1947)

Moonrise (1948)

Wake of the Red Witch (1948)

Song of India (1949)

Seven Men From Now (1956)

It needs to be fleshed out to make it a full day.  Any suggestions?

Big fan of Russell.   Those eyes just melt me!

One really good Russell movie is Salty O'Rourke with Alan Ladd,  William Demarest and stand-out Stanley Clements.

A movie that balances tough guy drama (represented by Ladd of course), comedy (Demarest as Ladd's side kick) and romance very well.     The teaming of Russell and Ladd works well.    

As for the topic of the 'suits' destroying the lives of actors;  I have mixed feeling.   e.g. Most fans of Elvis I know place all of the fault for his poor movies,  circus act live shows, and later commercial music on the Colonel.     Well Olivia DeHavilland helped ensure that contracts couldn't hold onto an artist for a lifetime so it is up to the artist to 'breakaway' and lead the career they wish after a contract's terms have been fulfilled.   We see that Olivia did that,  giving some of the finest performances by any actress during her post Warner days in the late 40s.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings