Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MURDER BY DEATH and THE CHEAP DETECTIVE

mrroberts

Two Neil  Simon comedies on TCM  tonight that I saw in the theatre when released. MURDER BY DEATH has a great  all star cast and that's the main reason for watching it.  I particularly enjoy watching Alec Guinness  , Elsa Lanchester,  and Peter Falk.  The other actors I like as well but the performances seem uninspired to me ( a few are just playing for a pay check), maybe its the scripts they have to work with. This film starts out with great promise but seems to drag on and on. The second film, THE CHEAP DETECTIVE,  works much better for me. Falk once again does his Bogart parody (like  in the earlier film) and has a strong supporting cast to work with. The storyline and script work well, it helps a lot if you know the classic Bogart films (Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Casablanca) they pay tribute to.  It appears that all involved are having a good time doing this film (I would love to see some outtakes if they exist).

Two Neil  Simon comedies on TCM  tonight that I saw in the theatre when released. MURDER BY DEATH has a great  all star cast and that's the main reason for watching it.  I particularly enjoy watching Alec Guinness  , Elsa Lanchester,  and Peter Falk.  The other actors I like as well but the performances seem uninspired to me ( a few are just playing for a pay check), maybe its the scripts they have to work with. This film starts out with great promise but seems to drag on and on. The second film, THE CHEAP DETECTIVE,  works much better for me. Falk once again does his Bogart parody (like  in the earlier film) and has a strong supporting cast to work with. The storyline and script work well, it helps a lot if you know the classic Bogart films (Maltese Falcon, Big Sleep, Casablanca) they pay tribute to.  It appears that all involved are having a good time doing this film (I would love to see some outtakes if they exist).

thanks mr.r, enjoyed THE CHEAP DET. very much. (kinda like DEAD MEN/PLAID w/o the tricky clip stuff) :D

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings