Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films That Make You Blubber

Calling all softies . . . calling all those who have been known to have blown their noses into a hanky after seeing a particular film or scene in a film. Or, at least, feel one BIG LUMP forming in the throat.

This just came up in the Great One Shot Teams thread, the fact that I have been known to turn all weepy with one particular scene in Captains Courageous between Spencer (Manuel) Tracy and Freddie (Harvey, the former brat) Bartholomew. That's the scene in which young Harvey, essentially, expresses his love for the fisherman, and says he doesn't want to leave him.

It's the closeup of little Freddie, biting his lip with tears in his eyes, as he says, "I want to stay with you, Manuel" that breaks down the he man lion that I normally am and turns me into a soft little kitten.

So are there any films or scenes in films that get to you every time? I can't be the only one.

(Errr . . . on the other hand, if I am the only one, I was just kidding about what I wrote above).

By the way, to the wiseguys, I know I called the thread Films That Make You Blubber, but I'd appreciate it if you could spare me any Moby Dick references.

Calling all softies . . . calling all those who have been known to have blown their noses into a hanky after seeing a particular film or scene in a film. Or, at least, feel one BIG LUMP forming in the throat.

This just came up in the Great One Shot Teams thread, the fact that I have been known to turn all weepy with one particular scene in Captains Courageous between Spencer (Manuel) Tracy and Freddie (Harvey, the former brat) Bartholomew. That's the scene in which young Harvey, essentially, expresses his love for the fisherman, and says he doesn't want to leave him.

It's the closeup of little Freddie, biting his lip with tears in his eyes, as he says, "I want to stay with you, Manuel" that breaks down the he man lion that I normally am and turns me into a soft little kitten.

So are there any films or scenes in films that get to you every time? I can't be the only one.

(Errr . . . on the other hand, if I am the only one, I was just kidding about what I wrote above).

By the way, to the wiseguys, I known I called the thread Films That Make You Blubber, but I'd appreciate it if you could spare me any Moby Dick references.

We have discuss something similar before related to the ending of The Breaking Point.   To me that is sadder than the ending to Captain Courageous since it isn't as oblivious.    

We have discuss something similar before related to the ending of The Breaking Point.   To me that is sadder than the ending to Captain Courageous since it isn't as oblivious.    

That final camera shot in The Breaking Point IS a subtle emotional killer, James.

Yep! The one that's sure to get me blubberin' is the scene in my favorite all time movie, "The Best Years of Our Lives" when Harold Russell's Homer is lying in bed after Cathy O'Donnell's Wilma leaves his bedroom and after they finally profess their mutual love for each other, and that little tear starts runnin' down his face.

(...and once again, anyone who doesn't blubber at THAT, "has no heart"!!!) ;)

Yep! The one that's sure to get me blubberin' is the scene in my favorite all time movie, "The Best Years of Our Lives" when Harold Russell's Homer is lying in bed after Cathy O'Donnell's Wilma leaves his bedroom and after they finally profess their mutual love for each other, and that little tear starts runnin' down his face.

(...and once again, anyone who doesn't blubber at THAT, "has no heart"!!!) ;)

Of course, one of the biggest emotional tear jerking moments in Best Years is when Fredric March returns home and embraces Myrna for the first time in years. It's the buildup of the music and Myrna somehow sensing his return just before she sees him that gets to you. There have to be a few audience members feeling it in the throat when they watch that scene, I image.

• Like 3

Well, since you mentioned Freddie Bartholomew, the end of Lloyds of London does it for me. I'm always moved by films which begin in childhood and go through a wide scope of time and place, sometimes ending with something about the kids, now grown up, that began the movie.

Lloyds of London opens with Freddie B. (as Jonathan Blake) and Douglas Scott (as Horatio Nelson) as boyhood friends. They separate. Jonathan (by now Tyrone Power) goes to work as an underwriter at Lloyd's; Horatio becomes an officer in the navy. Throughout the film, Jonathan is working complex deals, risking his reputation, to help fund Horatio's fight against Napoleon. Jonathan and Horatio keep missing each other -- they never meet as adults.

At the end of the film, Jonathan is very sick; Horatio has won the decisive battle of Trafalgar but died there. Jonathan doesn't know that his friend has died. On his sick bed, he says he finally expects go see Nelson. But he hears the funeral procession outside his window and knows what it means. With the help of Madeleine Carroll and others, he drags himself to the window, in time to see his friend's passing casket. Just as the boy Jonathan says when he separates from his friend at the beginning of the film, the grown Jonathan, tears in his eyes, whispers, "Goodbye Horatio."

That gets me every time.

220px-MadeleineCarrollTyronePowerLloydso

00675999-8550-48a3-8b59-08ba8b21fc5d_zps

THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON: the departure scene between the Custers just before the Little Big Horn. She has a foreboding of doom while he knows that he is probably going to his death. Yet they both try to act stoic in their final moments together.

Beautifully underplayed by both Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland, sensitively directed by Raoul Walsh, with a musical score by Max Steiner rapturous in its romantic glory.

The General's final words to his wife, "Walking through life with you, M'am, has been a very gracious thing."

Scene gets to me every time.

Don't believe me? Here's the scene:

[media]

[media]

TOMJH, I was going to say that same scene in They Died With Their Boots On that you mentioned.  Beautiful scene.  Probably one of Errol and Olivia's best, if not the best.

Any movies where beloved pets die, like Old Yeller always gets me.

This is a little more recent, but I think Pixar has the corner marketed on heart wrenching scenes.  I've found myself tearing up at the last three I saw:

Wall-E, when Wall-E doesn't recognize Eva after she repaired and reactivated him.  His system has been restored to its original format and he's now an emotionless, trash compacting robot (his original function).   Heartbroken, Eva holds Wall-E's hand (something he'd been trying to do with her the whole film) and gives him an electric kiss. 

Up.  This movie has two tearjerkers: 1) At the beginning of the film, there is a montage showing Carl and Ellie's relationship.  We see them as children, teenagers dating, young adults marrying, Ellie presumably finding out she cannot have children and their subsequent life afterward.  Then there are scenes of them running up a hill.  Time and time again they both run up the hill effortlessly, except Ellie starts having trouble.  A few scenes show Ellie having more and more trouble.  There are scenes showing Carl sitting by Ellie's bed side, until she eventually dies.  Carl, heartbroken, spends his days sitting on a bench.  2) Further into the film, Carl is looking through he and Ellie's "Adventure Book" (a scrapbook chronicling their adventures together).  He had never turned past the page showing their dream to have a home on top of Paradise Falls. He turns past the page and sees a note from Ellie telling him to go have his own adventure.

Toy Story 3.  I did not except to be emotionally affected by a Toy Story film, but Pixar did it again.  There are two scenes: 1) The toys holding hands facing their inevitable fate of being burned alive in an incinerator and 2) The end of the film when the toys are dropped off at the daycare and Andy says goodbye to Woody.

Of course, one of the biggest emotional tear jerking moments in Best Years is when Fredric March returns home and embraces Myrna for the first time in years. It's the buildup of the music and Myrna somehow sensing his return just before she sees him that gets to you. There have to be a few audience members feeling it in the throat when they watch that scene, I image.

Actually Tom, I think there are many in TBYOOL, and with another one "gettin' to me" being when after Fredric March in defiance and in less than a subtle manner tells off his boss during the banquet scene and the way Myrna Loy face beams with pride in him, always gets to me too!

(...I'll think of some other scenes in other films too for ya...I could probably go on endlessly about this movie, hence the reason for it being my favorite all-time flick)

This is a little more recent, but I think Pixar has the corner marketed on heart wrenching scenes.  I've found myself tearing up at the last three I saw:

Wall-E, when Wall-E doesn't recognize Eva after she repaired and reactivated him.  His system has been restored to its original format and he's now an emotionless, trash compacting robot (his original function).   Heartbroken, Eva holds Wall-E's hand (something he'd been trying to do with her the whole film) and gives him an electric kiss. 

What the human race had become in Wall E (and what's coming) could bring one to tears.

terribleproducts-wall-e-fat-people-ipad1

What the human race had become in Wall E (and what's coming) could bring one to tears.

LOL

Good point, ham!

(...but like I always say: "It's calories in/calories out, people...nothin' MORE!") ;)

terribleproducts-wall-e-fat-people-ipad1

Agreed.  The sad thing about Wall-E is that it is barely exaggerating, the bleak future that Wall-E predicts for the human race could  happen.  It's only a matter of time before we're permanently orbiting in space due to our ruining Earth and making it uninhabitable.

A while ago, I was at the store and someone was in the vestibule blocking the automatic door because they were trying to maneuver their enormous stroller through the doors and keep track of other little kids running around.  Instead of, oh I don't know, using the regular door to go into the store, people were actually lining up in front of the automatic door.  I just used the regular door and was inside before anyone else.  Of course, that did involve extending my arm and exerting a little strength to open the door, I guess that's too much to ask of some people.

By the way, to the wiseguys, I know I called the thread Films That Make You Blubber, but I'd appreciate it if you could spare me any Moby Dick references.

Another good topic.

Gets to me every time - Horatio locked out of heaven because it's Washington's Birthday! Odds Bodkins...........The Time Of Their Lives.

Oooh, just thought o' one I know you'll appreciate as a "tearjerker", O' Originator of Thread...and I'll bet our gal Speedy will too...

The scene near the end of "Adventures of Don Juan" where Errol and Viveca Lindfors must part company due to their different stations in life.

(...not bad, eh?!...oh, and of course, the similar ending in "The Prisoner of Zenda" will always bring a tear to me little eye too)

• Like 2

Oooh, just thought o' one I know you'll appreciate as a "tearjerker", O' Originator of Thread...and I'll bet our gal Speedy will too...

The scene near the end of "Adventures of Don Juan" where Errol and Viveca Lindfors must part company due to their different stations in life.

(...not bad, eh?!...oh, and of course, the similar ending in "The Prisoner of Zenda" will always bring a tear to me little eye too)

I forgot about that scene between Errol and Viveca.  I agree, that is a tearjerker. 

I've always also teared up in that scene between Errol and Ward Bond in Gentleman Jim where Bond brings Errol his heavyweight belt. 

Darn that Errol! He does sentiment very well.

• Like 2

Animal movies.

Same here.  I embarrassed the hell out of myself while watching Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey on a flight.  I was in pain after Marley & Me.  I won't even watch Bambi or Dumbo.

Other tearjerker moments:

-"Give my daughter the shot!" and "I'm so stupid" after the death scene, plus Emma's final instructions to her oldest son in Terms of Endearment

-Sally Field at the gravesite in Steel Magnolias

- CC telling Hillary "That friendship meant everything to me, and you took it away!" in Beaches

- Alice realizing she'll never be considered respectable in Alice Adams

- Several scenes in Philadelphia, especially the aria and the home movies at the end

- Just as many scenes in It's My Party

- Also several scenes in Brian's Song, Stella Dallas, The Best Years of Our Lives and Stepmom

- The ending of Million Dollar Baby

- Warren seeing Ndugu's drawing of them at the end of About Schmidt

- Bette Davis comforting everyone else about her impending death in Dark Victory

- Sonny's brother getting killed in The Last Picture Show

I'll skip the documentaries, or I'd be listing films all night.

For me its the final scene in HOW GREEN IS MY VALLEY when the mine elevator comes up and young Roddie is sitting there holding onto  his dead father.   And then there's that all time tear jerker film ALL MINE TO GIVE that always gets aired around the Christmas holiday.  (And isn't anyone going to mention Ensign Pulver  reading that letter  about Mr Roberts to Doc and the crew?) :mellow:

Same here. I embarrassed the hell out of myself while watching Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey on a flight.

Ahhh. I forgot all about "Homeward Bound." That part when The old dog, Shadow, tells the young dog, Chance to go ahead with out him, he's learned all he needs to know, except how to say goodbye. Then at the end, when Chance and Sassy come home and it seems like Shadow didn't make it, it's heart wrenching. Then you see Shadow and it's even more heart wrenching.

When Charlotte dies in "Charlotte's Web" that was really sad. Wilbur protects Charlotte's egg sacs in order to help her babies hatch. Charlotte's 5,000 babies hatch and eventually leave the farm.

Same here.  I embarrassed the hell out of myself while watching Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey on a flight.  I was in pain after Marley & Me.  I won't even watch Bambi or Dumbo.

Other tearjerker moments:

-"Give my daughter the shot!" and "I'm so stupid" after the death scene, plus Emma's final instructions to her oldest son in Terms of Endearment

I won't even watch Bambi or Dumbo.

I'll skip the documentaries, or I'd be listing films all night.

You watched Marley & Me? Gack! I would much rather have seen Owen Wilson go.

Someone who knows nothing about me gave me the book. I had to throw it out.

I won't watch Bambi or Dumbo or The Yearling or Old Yeller, et cetera.

Forgot one: The Normal Heart.