Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films That Make You Blubber

TomJH

Hmmm...

"Make Way for Tomorrow" (makes me just want to hug my grandparents EVERY TIME)

"The Lion King" (yes, I still cry every time I see Mufasa die; give me a break, will ya?)

"The Secret of Madame Blanche" (they took her baby, y'all. When she hugs him in his sleep and asks, "What did they do to you?" while sobbing, it just...gets me...)

"Imitation of Life" (the 1934 version, not the remake. I'm Team Delilah all the way, I just wanted to hug her so badly)

"The Gift of Love" (the bond between Lauren Bacall and Evelyn Rudie is palpable)

"One Potato, Two Potato" (that ending...I just...)

"Forrest Gump" (it's a bit mushy anyway, but there are certain scenes that just make me sniffle)

"Joan of Paris" ( self-explanatory)

"Babe" ("...can I call you 'Mom'?")

"Laugh, Clown, Laugh" ("...if all my dreams were like this, I would sleep forever")

"Glory" (that one tear, y'all)

"The Misfits" (again, self-explanatory)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. And now if you'll excuse me, I've got something in my eye...

TomJH said: But I'm watching this film on the big screen, with this beautiful girl beside me, and I feel a sniffle coming on. I'm biting into my tongue until it starts to bleed, but no sobs came out of me. I successfully retained my masculinity that evening.

Haha I think it's really odd & sad that in our culture, it's not OK for men to show emotion.

Attend any Bollywood movie in a theater and during the romantic scene where the lovers finally come together / death scene / reunion scene, you can look around and every man, woman & teen are ALL sniffling into tissues. Other cultures express emotion unabashedly.

The Day of the Dolphin, Harry and Tonto, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Pumpkin Eater, Summer and Smoke, and so many more I can't think of now.

Just remembered HAL singing "Daisy, Daisy," as he's "dying," in 2001.  That gets me every time.

Just remembered HAL singing "Daisy, Daisy," as he's "dying," in 2001.  That gets me every time.

Ugh, you're right. Make that animals, children and evil computers.

Not a movie, but the ending of The Missing shattered me - and made me angry for its cop out. I won't tell you the facts.

Not a movie, but the last six minutes of the Six Feet Under finale shatter me even today.

Ugh, you're right. Make that animals, children and evil computers.

I've thought about this one at length. I think HAL's regression touches an innate fear in all of us of "losing our minds", as in Alzheimers. 

Good point. Especially since at the end HAL was singing the first song he was ever taught.

I've not really re-watched it, but 2001:A Space Odyssey impressed me mightily when I first saw it. 

There is a melancholy in Colman's eyes and voice that I find very compelling.  There are points during Random Harvest that I find especially moving, especially the early part when he is the confused and shell-shocked vet, even though I know the movie is pure schmaltz.  

Rosebette, that's EXACTLY what I've always noticed about Colman in Random Harvest, that look of melancholy in his eyes. So glad you mentioned that. I love this film and I love Colman. For me, he was  one of the greatest actors ever to appear on screen, and one of my crushes since I was a little girl. I don't think of the film as schmaltzy, just very touching and as many times as I've seen the film over the years, I still tear up each time I see it

The Day of the Dolphin, Harry and Tonto, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, The Pumpkin Eater, Summer and Smoke, and so many more I can't think of now.

HAL singing Daisy gets me in a different way.

man-with-fingers-in-ears-540x334.jpg?142

The ending of The Bicycle Thief

images6_zps7f02f5a1.jpg

A man, accompanied by his little boy, has tried in vain throughout the film to find his stolen bicycle in postwar Italy. The man needs the bike for his job sticking up posters in a tough economic times. This is how he supports his family.

At the end of the film the man, in a moment of weakness through his growing frustration, is caught by a mob of men as he attempts to steal someone else's bike. He is pushed around and shouted at by the men, before being sent on his way. The bike's owner doesn't want to call the police because of the small son's presence.

The man walks away staring straight ahead, initially shell shocked by what has just happened. He has just been humiliated in public but adding even greater to his shame is the fact that his impressionable son, who idolizes him, witnessed the event.

The man only starts to break down when he glances down at his son who is looking up at him with weepy eyes. The man starts to cry and his son places his hand in his father's to try to comfort him. 

You can feel the man's pain. You can feel the boy's pain for his father.

The film ends as the two vanish into a crowd of people, their future uncertain. Director Vittorio De Sica has just etched a searing portrayal of a little moment that can be seen as a small human tragedy.

Adding to the power of the scene is a musical score that is haunting in its sadness. 

• Like 2

Haha I think it's really odd & sad that in our culture, it's not OK for men to show emotion.

On the contrary, Tiki. It's ALWAYS been acceptable for men in our culture to show emotion...well, okay, as long as that emotion is something such as "anger", anyway.

I mean, remember, the very cornerstone of many Action films feature a "hero" being angered into action and then seeking retribution, and THAT'S always been perfectly "acceptable", right?!  In fact, in many cases this sort of thing has been deemed a "desirable trait" in men and as some kind of "proof" as being a "real man".

(...yep my dear, unfortunately this whole "turning tears into anger and then action" thing is one of the first "lessons" most little boys are taught in life, and something most women never experience)

• Like 1

(...yep my dear, unfortunately this whole "turning tears into anger" is one of the first "lessons" most little boys are taught in life, and something most women never must go through)

I'm afraid you're right, old boy. Although at least in this thread we men our allowed to acknowledge the fact that we, too, can sniffle a bit while watching a film.

Speaking of those superman action heroes, didn't Bruce Willis get a bit tear eyed in Die Hard? Macho as Willis may be, he was trying to make his superman heroics just a tad more human as he allowed audiences to see the softer side of his character. I suppose that can be considered a small step forward. But I also know that Cagney has cried too - heck, this reminds me of an old thread I did a few years ago about men crying on screen.

I'm afraid you're right, old boy. Although at least in this thread we men our allowed to acknowledge the fact that we, too, can sniffle a bit while watching a film.

Speaking of those superman action heroes, didn't Bruce Willis get a bit tear eyed in Die Hard? Macho as Willis may be, he was trying to make his superman heroics just a tad more human as he allowed audiences to see the softer side of his character. I suppose that can be considered a small step forward. But I also know that Cagney has cried too - heck, this reminds me of an old thread I did a few years ago about men crying on screen.

Yep Tom, I think you're right about Willis in "Die Hard", but it's been a while since I'm watched that movie.

You now have me thinking that it's very possible the reason the first example which sprang to my mind and my first offering in your thread (the one about Homer crying after Wilma leaves his bedroom from TBYOOL) might have been because there you have a hero-type character who because of the tenderness expressed in that scene was brought to tears, and which I think might be a rare occurrence in film.

Yep Tom, I think you're right about Willis in "Die Hard", but it's been a while since I'm watched that movie.

You now have me thinking that it's very possible the reason the first example which sprang to my mind and my first offering in your thread (the one about Homer crying after Wilma leaves his bedroom from TBYOOL) might have been because there you have a hero-type character who because of the tenderness expressed in that scene was brought to tears, and which I think might be a rare occurrence in film.

Well, Best Years, while it is about men who can be seen as heroes during the wartime (with, admittedly, in Harold Russell's case, a real one), still concentrates upon the emotional vulnerability of those men in the postwar period. And it's that sensitivity and tenderness (particularly in the male portraits, they're no longer macho men) to which you referred, that helps to make that film stand the test of time so much better than most, I feel.

Well, Best Years, while it is about men who can be seen as heroes during the wartime (with, admittedly, in Harold Russell's case, a real one), still concentrates upon the emotional vulnerability of those men in the postwar period. And it's that sensitivity and tenderness (particularly in the male portraits, they're no longer macho men) to which you referred, that helps to make that film stand the test of time so much better than most, I feel.

Well, as I've said, with that movie being my favorite of all time, I couldn't agree more with you here, fellow "Ol' Softy" you! ;)

"Forrest Gump" (it's a bit mushy anyway, but there are certain scenes that just make me sniffle)

I don't particularly care for the movie as a whole, but there are individual scenes I like.  The most moving is one I find perfectly done, especially by Tom Hanks: When Forrest finds out Jenny's little boy is his son and asks, "Is he smart, or is he ...?" with the unsaid ending of that question being "like me." 

A newer movie but the ending of ROAD TO PERDITION (Tom Hanks and Paul Newman) always chokes me up.  Several scenes in the whole movie do but the ending with Tom Hanks with his son after they think they may finally be safe after six harrowing violent weeks on the road gets to me. 

HAL singing Daisy gets me in a different way.

man-with-fingers-in-ears-540x334.jpg?142

Well, I hear you loud and clear!  I was surprised to be so affected by the disconnection of a computer. Just read about it on Wiki; apparently different songs are used in the film for different countries.  And I had the title wrong, it's "Daisy Bell."

A newer movie but the ending of ROAD TO PERDITION (Tom Hanks and Paul Newman) always chokes me up.  Several scenes in the whole movie do but the ending with Tom Hanks with his son after they think they may finally be safe after six harrowing violent weeks on the road gets to me. 

Great movie. Tom Hanks is superb in it.

• Like 1

Tom Hanks leaves me cold because he is such a mediocre actor. It's like watching a community theater actor in a major motion picture whenever he is on the screen.

Any tears that his "performances" evoke are due to the writing, editing or directing.

Then how did he get so big? It certainly wasn't because of his looks.

Then how did he get so big? It certainly wasn't because of his looks.

You TELL 'em, DGF!

OK, if someone thinks Hanks is a mediocre actor, they have to remember....PLENTY of mediocre actors and actresses(in MY opinion) made it big over the years.

But I'm of a mind that Hanks is fairly competent in front of the camera(and didn't do too bad BEHIND it!), and I can understand him NOT being someone's particular "cup o' tea",  but the VENOM some people in here insist on spitting at him seems unwarranted.  I can say the same....and I know some who HAVE said many of the same things about MENJOU, and COOPER and yes, even O'BRIEN, POWELL and GABLE( not ME, I LIKED Gable!). 

Sepiatone

Tom Hanks was and is a wonderful actor.  A long and distinguished career in a variety of roles from total comedy to total drama.  A great talent.  I was not much of a fan of his earliest movies but the more he matured in age and roles the more I grew to like him. 

Getting back to the issue of blubbering at the movies, a number of posters have brought up the titles of animal films. It's been a few years since I saw this modestly budgeted little item, with a no name cast, but it seems to me that, as a kid, I got right choked up towards the end of it.

a9d2756c-b384-4411-9068-5da5d96de10b_zps

Getting back to the issue of blubbering at the movies, a number of posters have brought up the titles of animal films. It's been a few years since I saw this modestly budgeted little item, with a no name cast, but it seems to me that, as a kid, I got right choked up towards the end of it.

a9d2756c-b384-4411-9068-5da5d96de10b_zps

So did the dog die by eating a poisoned biscuit?