Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anita Ekberg, star of LA DOLCE VITA, has died

Barton_Keyes

Anita Ekberg, a former Miss Sweden who was immortalized by an appearance in director Frederico Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA (1960), has died. She was 83.

Her film career was not confined to Europe. Among her other film appearances were supporting roles in such Hollywood fare as BLOOD ALLEY (1955) with John Wayne and Lauren Bacall and King Vidor's WAR AND PEACE (1956) with Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda.

The Hollywood Reporter remembers Anita Ekberg here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/anita-ekberg-dead-at-83-762513

Anita Ekberg, a former Miss Sweden who was immortalized by an appearance in director Frederico Fellini's LA DOLCE VITA (1960), has died. She was 83.

Her film career was not confined to Europe. Among her other film appearances were supporting roles in such Hollywood fare as BLOOD ALLEY (1955) with John Wayne and Lauren Bacall and King Vidor's WAR AND PEACE (1956) with Audrey Hepburn and Henry Fonda.

The Hollywood Reporter remembers Anita Ekberg here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/anita-ekberg-dead-at-83-762513

Geez, so many deaths lately. Guess all the golden oldies are getting up there in years.

Ahem, TCM.......................Lizabeth Scott.

Ekberg was supposed to star in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE; when that wasn't possible she made a kind of cameo appearance in the form of a movie poster where her mouth is the window through which a Soviet agent tries to escape from the Turkish police, only to be shot down by Sean Connery and Pedro Armendariz.

That's too bad---well, she WAS 83, so she did OK.

But, she WAS mentioned in a Bob Dylan song, "I Shall Be Free", as someone who might help America----

"Well, the telephone rang and it would not stop;

It was President Kennedy callin' me up!;

He said, "My friend Bob, what do we need to make the country grow?";

I said, "My friend John, Brigit Bardot!;

ANITA EKBERG;

Sophia Loren;

Country'll GROW!"

Sepiatone

Ekberg was supposed to star in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE; when that wasn't possible she made a kind of cameo appearance in the form of a movie poster where her mouth is the window through which a Soviet agent tries to escape from the Turkish police, only to be shot down by Sean Connery and Pedro Armendariz.

In Ian Fleming's book, it was a movie poster of Marilyn Monroe in "Niagara." The second 007 movie used a poster of Ekberg in the Bob Hope comedy "Call Me, Bwana" most likely because Monroe had died, but also because the Hope-Ekberg film was made by Bond producers Harry Saltzman and Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli.

Good gracious, the year just started! And I just saw "Back from Eternity" not too long ago. I'm sorry that she ran into some financial trouble in her later years. I encourage everyone to check out her appearance on "What's My Line?, which I'm including below. She had some of the best hair, seriously.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lX05Tt-RorM

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings