Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All In The Family!

Sepiatone

HAH!  FOOLED ya!

NOT the TV show....What this is about is, well, I noticed an old VHS tape I've had for a while of a movie I haven't seen in quite some time....

"The Long Riders", a movie about the James gang, and featuring what I thought was a bit of clever casting---

Brothers STACY and JAMES KEACH as the JAMES brothers, with the CARRADINE brothers( David, Keith and Robert) as the YOUNGER brothers, and the QUAID brothers( Dennis and Randy) as the Quill( or, was it QUELL?) brothers.

Hell, they even added NICHOLAS and CHRISTOPHER GUEST as the FORD brothers!

Now, how often has something like this been done?  I know there were movies that featured the three BARRYMORES,  but are there any OTHER movies that the members HERE would consider "classic" that did this type of casting?  You know, were the siblings CAST as siblings?

Or, even in more contemporary times.  I'm not sure if John and Jim Belushi ever did a film together. 

And, knowing ME, there's probably several I've overlooked!

Got any?

Sepiatone

HAH!  FOOLED ya!

NOT the TV show....What this is about is, well, I noticed an old VHS tape I've had for a while of a movie I haven't seen in quite some time....

"The Long Riders", a movie about the James gang, and featuring what I thought was a bit of clever casting---

Brothers STACY and JAMES KEACH as the JAMES brothers, with the CARRADINE brothers( David, Keith and Robert) as the YOUNGER brothers, and the QUAID brothers( Dennis and Randy) as the Quill( or, was it QUELL?) brothers.

Now, how often has something like this been done?  I know there were movies that featured the three BARRYMORES,  but are there any OTHER movies that the members HERE would consider "classic" that did this type of casting?  You know, were the siblings CAST as siblings?

Or, even in more contemporary times.  I'm not sure if John and Jim Belushi ever did a film together. 

Got any?

Sepiatone

I like them both, and have liked whatever movies I saw with them - but don't know if John and Joan Cusack appeared as siblings.

Ok, I'll open another allowance---

In ON GOLDEN POND Henry and Jane Fonda DO appear cast as Father and Daughter.  So, THAT sort of thing is OK here, too. 

But, there WAS a scene in one of the Crosby/Hope "Road" pictures where they're moving through the jungle, and all of a sudden, a man walks into the scene carrying a rifle.  The man then asks, "Now?", and Bing says,"Yeah, go ahead."  The man then aims his rifle into the air, and fires off a round.  He then thurns to Bing, says, "Thanks" and walks off.  Hope then asks, "Who was THAT?"  Bing answers, "Oh, that was my brother, Bob.  I promised him a shot in the movie!"

Well, I'm just wondering if brothers, sisters, mothers/daughters or sons, or even Fathers daughters and sons have been cast in the same movies, at least as RELATIVES.

Sepiatone

I like them both, and have liked whatever movies I saw with them - but don't know if John and Joan Cusack appeared as siblings.

John Cusack and Joan Cusack have appeared in (I think) 9 movies together, but I'm not sure if they have ever played brother and sister.

In BROADCAST NEWS (in which Joan has a supporting role), we don't see John's face. He's the one who yells "sons-of- b*tches" and throws the messenger bag to the floor during the news staff firings near the end of the movie . 

He's credited as Angry Messenger.

HAH!  FOOLED ya!

Got any?

Sepiatone

During the 1800's, one of the most infamous actors, John Wilkes Booth starred along with his brothers Edwin and Junius jr. in the stage play "Julius Caesar"

Booths_Caesar.jpg

Ok, I'll open another allowance---

In ON GOLDEN POND Henry and Jane Fonda DO appear cast as Father and Daughter.  So, THAT sort of thing is OK here, too. 

But, there WAS a scene in one of the Crosby/Hope "Road" pictures where they're moving through the jungle, and all of a sudden, a man walks into the scene carrying a rifle.  The man then asks, "Now?", and Bing says,"Yeah, go ahead."  The man then aims his rifle into the air, and fires off a round.  He then thurns to Bing, says, "Thanks" and walks off.  Hope then asks, "Who was THAT?"  Bing answers, "Oh, that was my brother, Bob.  I promised him a shot in the movie!"

Well, I'm just wondering if brothers, sisters, mothers/daughters or sons, or even Fathers daughters and sons have been cast in the same movies, at least as RELATIVES.

Sepiatone

"The Falcon's Brother" with George Sanders and Tom Conway.

"Four Daughters", "Daughters Courageous", "Four Wives", and "Four Mothers" with Rosemary, Priscilla, and Lola Lane.

In The Big Night (see my juvenile delinquent thread to increase my views, because, let's face it, that's what we're all here for), Anna Lee plays the mother to her real-life daughter Venetia Stevenson.

In Thunder Road, Robert Mitchum plays the brother of his real-life son, Chris Mitchum (which is weird).

Lynn and Vanessa Redgrave played Baby Jane and Blanche Hudson in a version of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? backin the 90's.

I actually saw the version of WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE starring the Redgrave sisters as the Hudson sisters on TV as a kid before I saw the movie with Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in the roles that was made in the 1960s.

I liked the Redgave sisters in these roles then and seeing this clip now I still like them---- especially Lynn Redgrave's American accent.

While I do enjoy the Davis-Crawford movie, the Jane character was more sympathetic in the 1990s version. Blanche's strength was also more evident in the remake.

Here's another great clip with Vanessa Redgrave (Blanche) and Lynn Redgrave (Jane):

Thanks for reminding me of this movie, traceyk.

The Davis-Crawford movie is a camp classic, but in the Redgrave sisters' movie the Edwin Flagg character (not sure if that's his name in that version) is actually a drag performer ---specializing in impersonating Blanche Hudson!  

Yes. At least once. The Cusacks played siblings in "Say Anything..." (1989), Cameron Crowe's well-regarded romantic comedy featuring John's most iconic screen moment (Hint: Think about a Peter Gabriel song and a boombox).

Yes. At least once. The Cusacks played siblings in "Say Anything..." (1989), Cameron Crowe's well-regarded romantic comedy featuring John's most iconic screen moment (Hint: Think about a Peter Gabriel song and a boombox).

Thanks, jakeem. I'll have to keep an eye out. They are also very good in indie movies.

Sepiatone, this doesn't exactly fit your question but ALL IN THE FAMILY star Carroll  O'Connor cast his son, Hugh, in the tv series  of IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. The characters were not related to each other how ever.  In Lucille Ball's tv show, HERE'S LUCY,  her real life kids played her kids.

Thanks, jakeem. I'll have to keep an eye out. They are also very good in indie movies.

The Cusacks also appeared in three other movies I can think of, but their characters weren't related: "Sixteen Candles" (1984), "Grosse Pointe Blank" (1997) and "War, Inc." (2008). They have an older sister named Ann who acts. She was in "Grosse Pointe Blank," too.

The Cusacks also appeared in three other movies I can think of, but their characters weren't related: "Sixteen Candles" (1984), "Grosse Pointe Blank" (1997) and "War, Inc." (2008). They have an older sister named Ann who acts. She was in "Grosse Pointe Blank," too.

In BROADCAST NEWS (in which Joan has a supporting role), we don't see John's face. He's the one who yells "sons-of- b*tches" and throws the messenger bag to the floor during the news staff firings near the end of the movie . 

He's credited as Angry Messenger.

On a contemporary basis, it may be hard to beat the Wayans family, but I haven't figured out how many times they've all appeared as relatives in movies.

Here are Shawn and Marlon in "White Chicks" (2004), playing brothers who happen to be undercover FBI agents posing as wealthy heiresses:

I just discovered this thread.  I have to correct an earlier post by Rich.  It was James Mitchum, not Chris, in "Thunder Road"  Chris Mitchum played one of John Wayne's sons in "Big Jake", which curiously fits this thread because John Wayne's real life sons Patrick and Ethan played his sons in "Big Jake".

Here are some others that come quickly to mind:

In an early John Wayne "B" western called "The Trail Beyond"(1934), his friend Wabi is played by Noah Beery Jr. and Wabi's father is played by Noah Beery Sr.

Beau and Jeff Bridges played brothers in "The Fabulous Baker Boys" (1989)

Lloyd and Beau Bridges played father and son in "Meeting Daddy" (2000)

Alan and David Ladd played father and son in "The Proud Rebel (1958)

Darryl and Dwayne Hickman played young brothers in "Captain Eddie" (1945)

Martin and Charlie Sheen played father and son in "Wall Street" (1987)

William Cagney came out of acting retirement to play Jimmy's brother in "Kiss Tomorrow Good-bye" (1950)

I'm not even going to mention "Here Come The Nelsons" (1952)

Here's a clip that I've posted before.  These are all real life sisters except for one pair.

It's from a 1929 all-star review film called "The Show Of Shows". Marion Byron and Ann Sothern, then known as Harriett Lake, were not sisters

I just discovered this thread.  I have to correct an earlier post by Rich.  It was James Mitchum, not Chris, in "Thunder Road"  Chris Mitchum played one of John Wayne's sons in "Big Jake", which curiously fits this thread because John Wayne's real life sons Patrick and Ethan played his sons in "Big Jake".

Thanks for the correction, Miles.

I just remembered some more.  Maureen O'Sullivan played Mia Farrow's mother in "Hannah And Her Sisters"(1986).  I believe that Stephanie Farrow played Mia's sister in both "Zelig" (1983) and "The Purple Rose Of Cairo" (1985).  And let us not forget The Ritz Brothers, who often played brothers in their films.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings