Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the Stars

I think Summer Under the Stars is terrific. I've really enjoyed watching showcases of various actors/actresses.

I'm especially happy that TCM has a day devoted to Marlon Brando on Aug. 19th. He is the greatest actor I've ever seen and if you just catch him in "Streetcar Named Desire" and "On The Waterfront" and "Julius Caesar", you will see why. He is absolutely spectacular in these movies from the early 1950's.

I agree! Is this the first year they've had Summer Under the Stars?

I've watched TCM for a while but it's always hard to keep up with all the different films and cast since the earliest movies I remember watching in theatres are things like "ET" or "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".

I've been stuck to the tv being blown away by the actors/actresses that I've always heard about. This part of film history does not get the fanfare it deserves. I hadn't even heard of Irene Dunne until today, unfortunately. Monday was the first time I watched a Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers film. Then I watched 4 more.

Will TCM do similar showcases for directors? Or are director marathons limited to their birthdays? I would really enjoy a retrospective of Billy Wilder's early comedies.

And to sum up, Summer Under the Stars is the greatest thing I've ever seen on television. The fun is being had.

This is Summer Under the Stars 3rd year.

No, TCM does not have a Director's edition of Summer Under the Stars. Usually they have their movies shown on their birthdays. Sometimes a director might be a prime time feature.

Unfortunately, most of Billy Wilder's work seems to have been done at Paramount, which is divided up between Paramount and Universal. Also, an occasional movie for the old Fox Films company.

In the Turner library, he is credited with writing parts of Ninotchka (1939 Greta Garbo)

and directing the movie Buddy, Buddy (1981).

This is Summer Under the Stars 3rd year.

No, TCM does not have a Director's edition of Summer Under the Stars. Usually they have their movies shown on their birthdays. Sometimes a director might be a prime time feature.

Unfortunately, most of Billy Wilder's work seems to have been done at Paramount, which is divided up between Paramount and Universal. Also, an occasional movie for the old Fox Films company.

In the Turner library, he is credited with writing parts of Ninotchka (1939 Greta Garbo)

and directing the movie Buddy, Buddy (1981).

Ah, to all of the naysayers disappointed with this year's line-up on SUMMER OF THE STARS, you should all be heartened by the poster below who had never heard of Irene Dunne and had never seen an Astaire / Rogers film - she's now hooked. That my friends is how you turn youngsters on to the classics that many of us have seen often. Add to the warhorses, a nice blend of the offbeat choices - Basil Rathbone, Joel McCrae, the afore-mentioned Dunne, Constance Bennett and you have one happy viewer!