Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Two dollars . . . I want my two dollars!

HoldenIsHere

So what movie is that clip from? Looks like it took place in the 80's. John Cusack was very young. Geez all the kid wanted was his $2.00!

It's from the off-the-wall 1985 Cusack film "Better Off Dead," written and directed by Savage Steve Holland ("Savage Steve" was a childhood nickname). In the years since, Holland has excelled at directing comedies for The Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

As you can tell from the clip, the "I want my two dollars" line is a running gag involving a newspaper delivery boy who's been stiffed for payment. He appears at least one more time before the end credits begin. It reminds me a lot of the lost long-distance swimmer (played by Beatles road manager Mal Evans) who keeps popping up and asking the Fab Four for directions to the White Cliffs of Dover in "Help!"

By the way, can you believe Cusack has been doing movies for 32 years? That's almost as long as Cary Grant's screen career.

• Like 1

It's from the off-the-wall 1985 Cusack film "Better Off Dead," written and directed by Savage Steve Holland ("Savage Steve" was a childhood nickname). In the years since, Holland has excelled at directing comedies for The Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

As you can tell from the clip, the "I want my two dollars" line is a running gag involving a newspaper delivery boy who's been stiffed for payment. He appears at least one more time before the end credits begin. It reminds me a lot of the lost long-distance swimmer (played by Beatles road manager Mal Evans) who keeps popping up and asking the Fab Four for directions to the White Cliffs of Dover in "Help!"

By the way, can you believe Cusack has been doing movies for 32 years? That's almost as long as Cary Grant's screen career.

I saw Help! many years ago and can barely recall it. Has TCM ever shown it? I do have A Hard Day's Night. I love The Beatles. After John died (I can recall exactly where I was when I heard the news of his murder) I picked up many Beatles albums. I love vinyl and still play mine.

John Cusack was Denny Lachance in Stand By Me. I saw where he was to play Brian Wilson in an upcoming biopic. I like his sister Joan Cusack too.

It's from the off-the-wall 1985 Cusack film "Better Off Dead," written and directed by Savage Steve Holland ("Savage Steve" was a childhood nickname). In the years since, Holland has excelled at directing comedies for The Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

Here's another great moment from BETTER OFF DEAD: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YDo2Ef3Cxw

"Sorry your mom blew up, Ricky . . ."

This thread's title puts me in mind of Everett Sloane in the twilight zone ep "the fever".

after the slot machine grabs his last silver dollar Sloane as Franklin Gibbs completely loses it...

"MY DOLLARRR!!! I WANT MY DOLLARRR!!! IT OWES ME A DOLLARRR!!!"

my favorite ep. :)

I wonder if this wasn't inspired by the early Bugs Bunny / Elmer Fudd cartoon where Bugs has to stand in for the Easter Bunny (he's  just fat and lazy and doesn't want to work). There's a very bratty kid who runs around yelling  "I want a Easter Egg, I want an Easter Egg".  At the end Bugs sends the kid after poor Elmer.

I wonder if this wasn't inspired by the early Bugs Bunny / Elmer Fudd cartoon where Bugs has to stand in for the Easter Bunny (he's  just fat and lazy and doesn't want to work). There's a very bratty kid who runs around yelling  "I want a Easter Egg, I want an Easter Egg".  At the end Bugs sends the kid after poor Elmer.

Intriguing fYI: apparently Kim Darby who played John Cusack's mother in "Better off dead" was a real pain in the butt to work with.

I think I recall reading someone on the set of that movie didn't like her and I know she and John Wayne did not get along on "True Grit"

She hasmt worked much since, and it's a shame because she's really really interesting and perfectly Daffy in the role and would have done well in othrrs like it.

"Man, that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

Favorite line from Better Off Dead.

That's one of my favorite lines.  And, as a piece of useless trivia, it was ripped off five years later in the Charlie Sheen/Emilio Estevez comedy Men at Work.  Carl says, "Looks like somebody threw away a perfectly good white boy."

• 2 months later...

Reminds me of Addie & Moses in the diner in PAPER MOON. She says numerous times in a low voice  "I want my two hundred dollars" and since she's ignored, she yells it for the entire room to hear, "I want my two HUNDRED DOLLARS!!"

• Like 1

Reminds me of Addie & Moses in the diner in PAPER MOON. She says numerous times in a low voice  "I want my two hundred dollars" and since she's ignored, she yells it for the entire room to hear, "I want my two HUNDRED DOLLARS!!"

Ah yes!

PAPER MOON is a great movie, especially Tatum O'Neal as Addie.

I saw it for the first time on Netflix not too long ago.

I love the "two hundred dollars" scene in the diner.

When Moses (Ryan O'Neal) says he doesn't have it  I love how Addie says "Then GIT it."

[
  • Like 2

Watching "Paper Moon" is what turned my daughter AROUND on the subject of NOT wanting to watch "old f u g l y black and white movies"!

OUR favorite line in the movie( and I love that we both found the same line to be a favorite) is when Mose asks Addie:

"You know what SCRUPLES is, don'tcha?"

And Addie's answer----

"No, I don't know what SCRUPLES are, but if YOU got 'em, it's a sure bet they belong to SOMEONE ELSE!"  :lol:

oddly, the autocensor "starred out" the word "f u g l y"!

Sepiatone

• Like 3

Watching "Paper Moon" is what turned my daughter AROUND on the subject of NOT wanting to watch "old f u g l y black and white movies"!

OUR favorite line in the movie( and I love that we both found the same line to be a favorite) is when Mose asks Addie:

"You know what SCRUPLES is, don'tcha?"

And Addie's answer----

"No, I don't know what SCRUPLES are, but if YOU got 'em, it's a sure bet they belong to SOMEONE ELSE!"  :lol:

oddly, the autocensor "starred out" the word "f u g l y"!

Sepiatone

Obviously, nobody has ever called you "f u g l y". Believe me, it hurts.

The thread title reminded me of the line near the beginning of MY MAN GODFREY, at the Waldorf Ritz (or whatever it was called where the Scanvenger Hunt was being held), where the befuddled Mrs. Bullock, played by the great Alice Brady, hears a "Forgotten Man" ask, "I want my five bucks". She says "Bucks, bucks?", then after the man insists again, daughter Cornelia.explains,."I promised the man five dollars". To which Mrs. Bullock retorts, "Well, give.the man his five dollars and his bucks too, before your sister hires him as a driver. Why did I have to wait till now to find out there's insanity on your father's side of the family?!". Or words to the effect........great fun.

Obviously, nobody has ever called you "f u g l y". Believe me, it hurts.

Oh, hell!

I've been called MUCH worse, believe me!

And yeah, I suppose that "F" word up there can be hurtful, but certainly, it isn't profane.  At least not enough to warrant CENSORSHIP!  ^_^

Sepiatone

The thread title reminded me of the line near the beginning of MY MAN GODFREY, at the Waldorf Ritz (or whatever it was called where the Scanvenger Hunt was being held), where the befuddled Mrs. Bullock, played by the great Alice Brady, hears a "Forgotten Man" ask, "I want my five bucks". She says "Bucks, bucks?", then after the man insists again, daughter Cornelia.explains,."I promised the man five dollars". To which Mrs. Bullock retorts, "Well, give.the man his five dollars and his bucks too, before your sister hires him as a driver. Why did I have to wait till now to find out there's insanity on your father's side of the family?!". Or words to the effect........great fun.

Yes,  that exchange from MMG was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.    But I was too lazy to post that.  Someone would need to pay me 5 bucks!     :)

Oh, and the best part here is when she mentions the insanity father's side of the family.   This is right after one of the best jokes in this great film,  where the father mentions to a man at the bar that for an insane asylum all one needs is an empty room and the right kind of people.    Clearly he feels the insanity is on his wife's side!  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings