Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rod Taylor has died

Australian-born actor Rod Taylor, whose film appearances included starring roles in the George Pal production of H.G. Wells' THE TIME MACHINE (1960) and Alfred Hitchcock's THE BIRDS (1963), has died. He was 84. Taylor would have been 85 on January 11 this year.

Taylor is also known for voicing the lead canine in Disney's 101 DALMATIONS (1961) and portraying Winston Churchill in Quentin Tarantino's INGLORIOUS BASTARDS (2009).

Here's a link to the obituary from Variety:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/rod-taylor-dead-the-bird-the-time-machine-1201396390/

I'm very sorry to hear this sad news.

I always liked Rod Taylor and wondered why he had never become a bigger star.

However, he'll always be remembered for The Time Machine, and The Birds, if nothing else.

May he R.I.P.

Wow! I can remember the days -- long before Turner Classic Movies was on the air -- when TBS would show several of Rod Taylor's movies on his January 11th birthday. Maybe that was the genesis of TCM's birthday tributes.

"Sunday in New York" aired Wednesday on TCM, and "The Time Machine" was on Saturday, January 3rd. Both are available on Watch TCM.

Oh no, this makes me very sad.  Rod Taylor was one of my all-time favorite "unsung" actors, one who wavered between character actor and leading man status, but who never got the higher level of recognition that he deserved.  The man had talent.  To my knowledge, he's never been made Star of the Month, or even given a day for Summer Under The Stars.  One of the things that always drew me to him was likability.  Even when he was playing a cad, there was something about his performance that kept you from disliking his characters completely.  He seemed like the perfect person to sit down and joke around/swap stories with.  I was first introduced to his wonderful voice through "101 Dalmatians", but my personal favorites for him included "Raintree County", "Sunday in New York", "36 Hours", "The Birds", and of course, "The Time Machine."  He will definitely be missed.  

• Like 1

Rats!  I really enjoyed his work.  Nobody's mentioned his role as the Nazi doctor in 36 Hours.  He made you feel sympathetic towards him even though you knew his scheme had to be found out.  That's the sign of a good actor. And I loved him as Mitch in The VIP's-if only I could have been his secretary who ends up with a more permanent job.   

Another odd role was in a Cheyenne episode based on The Treasure of the Sierra Made where he played Tim Holt's character.  He was also a candidate for Bart on Maverick.  He was star enough for me.

the definitive screen H.G. Wells is gone. I always watch him as Col. Forbes in that classic twilight zone ep. :)

Didn't TCM have him doing some taped 'color' when they screened A Time Machine? Too bad they didn't think to have him in studio.

Ahem, TCM - Lizabeth Scott, before she is gone?

My favorite film of his hands down, was Darker Than Amber (1971) based on John D. MacDonald's popular Travis McGee series, too bad it never took off.

Taylor as beach bum "salvage expert" McGee from some channel that used to show this film. ;-)

DTA07_zpsc20a2033.jpg

I was going to mention 36 Hours and The Liquidator too, but see somebody beat me to the punch. I don't think anybody mentioned his supporting roles in 1950s films like The Catered Affair and Separate Tables.

Maybe now TCM can finally show Zabriskie Point?

Very sad news. So handsome and a really good actor. Enjoyed many of the films and tv shows he appeared in, Suave, handsome and sexy. He was so good in all the films mentioned so far including Hotel. Seemed like a nice guy and very well liked.

RIP Rod Taylor

I have always enjoyed Dark of the Sun.  TCM showed it a month or so ago, but I missed it.  Maybe they will show it again soon.

Have often wondered why he was not a "bigger star" considering all the leading roles he had and how well he did them.

Didn't TCM have him doing some taped 'color' when they screened A Time Machine? Too bad they didn't think to have him in studio.

Ahem, TCM - Lizabeth Scott, before she is gone?

Ahem, TCM - Rex Reason, before's he gone.

Ahem, TCM - Rex Reason, before's he gone.

we really shouldn't have to nudge tcm in any way to talk to these vanishing film stars from yesteryear.

tcm oughta have enough fundamental intuitiveness to get a hold of them themselves...

Rex Reason, surviving star of one of the most notable sci-fi classics of the 1950s.

yet still with us he is.

And it hasn't occurred to these people to ask Mr. Reason to sit in with Osborne on a primetime showing of This Island Earth?

terrific! :angry:

we really shouldn't have to nudge tcm in any way to talk to these vanishing film stars from yesteryear.

tcm oughta have enough fundamental intuitiveness to get a hold of them themselves...

Rex Reason, surviving star of one of the most notable sci-fi classics of the 1950s.

yet still with us he is.

And it hasn't occurred to these people to ask Mr. Reason to sit in with Osborne on a primetime showing of This Island Earth?

terrific! :angry:

and some posters have insisted to me that tcm has done complete justice to the sci-fi genre. yeah right.

Wow!  Just the other day, while spotting him in another old movie he did, I asked my wife if she knew if he was still alive or not, and she said, "no"!

Always kind of liked HIM, too.

Sepiatone

Got a tape of "The Man Who Had Power Over Women" from 1970.  It got omitted from his list.  He was the star.  It had an abortion in the movie.  its one of those trashy "real life" films where the star's life is falling apart and his job is to present a show biz facade.

10958508_det.jpg

joseph e. levine presents

here's rod helping the star polish his image

PowerUpload1.JPG

The last shot of THE BIRDS:

Taylor, Hedren, the mother, the sister, and the lovebirds driving away as the fearful birds glare at them and do a lot of loud cawing. A most memorable ending.