Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mental Disorder Classic movies

MovieMadness

For some reason I got thinking about mental disorder movies today, and while what movie exactly fits as a mental disorder or what condition does may be up for debate here is an interesting list that involves specific disorders or conditions and what classic movies might cover them.

Retrograde amnesia - A much-used plot device, retrograde amnesia occurs when a person forgets part or all of his or her past.

Psychogenic amnesia - a memory loss caused by psychological stress.

Obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness, apprehension, fear or worry (obsessions), repetitive behaviors aimed at reducing the associated anxiety (compulsions), or a combination of such obsessions and compulsions.

Post-traumatic stress disorder - may develop after a person is exposed to one or more traumatic events, such as sexual assault, warfare, serious injury, or threats of imminent death.

Clinical depression - a mental disorder characterized by a pervasive and persistent low mood that is accompanied by low self-esteem and by a loss of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities.

Conduct disorder (CD) is a psychological disorder diagnosed in childhood or adolescence that presents itself through a repetitive and persistent pattern of behavior in which the basic rights of others or major age-appropriate norms are violated.

Impulse control disorder (ICD) - a class of psychiatric disorders characterized by impulsivity – failure to resist a temptation, urge or impulse that may harm oneself or others.

• Hold That Blonde (1945)
  • Gun Crazy (1949)
  • Slightly Scarlet (1956)

Bipolar disorder - a mental disorder characterized by periods of elevated mood and periods of depression.

Delusional disorder - an uncommon psychiatric condition in which the patients present with delusions

Dissociative identity disorder (DID) aka Multiple personality disorder -  a mental disorder on the dissociative spectrum characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states.

Antisocial personality disorder - characterized by a pervasive pattern of disregard for, or violation of, the rights of others.

Borderline personality disorder - People with BPD often engage in idealization and devaluation of others, alternating between high positive regard and great disappointment.

Histrionic personality disorder - a pattern of excessive attention-seeking emotions, usually beginning in early adulthood, including inappropriately seductive behavior and an excessive need for approval. Histrionic people are lively, dramatic, vivacious, enthusiastic, and flirtatious.

Narcissistic personality disorder - a person is excessively preoccupied with personal adequacy, power, prestige and vanity, mentally unable to see the destructive damage they are causing to themselves and to others in the process.

Avoidant personality disorder (AvPD), or anxious personality disorder - a pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, extreme sensitivity to negative evaluation, and avoidance of social interaction.

• Marty (1955)

Schizophrenia - a mental disorder often characterized by abnormal social behavior and failure to recognize what is real. Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, auditory hallucinations, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and inactivity.

Psychosomatic disorder - the manifestations of disabilities that are based on intellectual infirmities, rather than actual injuries or physical limitations

Malingering - fabricating or exaggerating the symptoms of mental or physical disorders for a variety of "secondary gain" motives, which may include financial compensation (often tied to fraud); avoiding school, work or military service; obtaining drugs; getting lighter criminal sentences; or simply to attract attention or sympathy.

Suicide - the act of intentionally causing one's own death.

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion.

• I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (1932)
  • The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre (1948)
  • The Caine Mutiny (1954)
  • The Conversation (1974)

Imaginary friends a psychological and social phenomenon where a friendship or other interpersonal relationship takes place in the imagination rather than external physical reality.

Vertigo  - a subtype of dizziness in which a patient inappropriately experiences the perception of motion (usually a spinning motion) due to dysfunction of the vestibular system.

Hypnosis - a state of consciousness involving focused attention and reduced peripheral awareness characterized by an enhanced capacity for response to suggestion.

Mother complex - a group of unconscious associations, or a strong unconscious impulses — which specifically pertains to the image or archetype of the mother.

• Now, Voyager (1942)
  • White Heat (1949)
  • Birdman Of Alcatraz (1962)

Father complex - a group of unconscious associations, or a strong unconscious impulses either positive (admiring and seeking out older father figures) or negative (distrusting or fearful).

• Fourteen Hours (1951)

Messiah complex - is a state of mind in which an individual holds a belief that they are, or are destined to become, a savior.

• Rasputin And The Empress (1932)
  • Nicholas And Alexandra (1971)

Alcohol dependence is a substance-related disorder in which an individual is physically or psychologically dependent upon drinking alcohol.

• The Lost Weekend (1945)
  • I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955)
  • Beloved Infidel (1959)
  • Days Of Wine And Roses (1962)

Misogyny -  the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, etc.

• The Sniper (1952)

Idolizing - to regard with blind adoration, devotion, etc. or to worship as a god.

• Captains Courageous (1937)
  • The Westerner (1940)
  • Miracle On 34th Street (1947)
  • The Fallen Idol (1948)

Intermittent explosive disorder (IED) is a behavioral disorder characterized by explosive outbursts of anger, often to the point of rage, that are disproportionate to the situation at hand.

• The Secret Garden (1949)

Schizotypal personality disorder (STPD) - a personality disorder characterized by a need for social isolation, anxiety in social situations, odd behavior and thinking, and often unconventional beliefs.

• Taxi Driver (1976)

Conversion disorder - causes patients to suffer from neurological symptoms, such as numbness, blindness, paralysis, or fits without a definable organic cause.

• The Secret Of Dr. Kildare (1939)
  • Home Of The Brave (1949)
  • Twelve O'Clock High (1949)

Ludomania, or gambling addiction - an urge to continuously gamble despite harmful negative consequences or a desire to stop.

• The Great Sinner (1949)
  • California Split (1974)
  • The Gambler (1974)

Kleptomania - the inability to refrain from the urge to steal items and is done for reasons other than personal use or financial gain.

• The Locket (1946)
  • Penelope (1966)

Pyromania - an impulse control disorder in which individuals repeatedly fail to resist impulses to deliberately start fires.

• The Flaming Urge (1953)

Developmental disability - a diverse group of chronic conditions that are due to mental and/or physical impairments

• Of Mice And Men (1939)
  • A Child Is Waiting (1963)
  • Charly (1968)

Claustrophobia - the fear of having no escape and being in closed or small spaces or rooms.

• Lady In A Cage (1964)

Psychiatrists / Psychologists /  Psychoanalysts - Has as a lead role a psychiatrist, psychologist or psychoanalyst involved in the plot of the movie.

• Carefree (1938)
  • Blind Alley (1939)
  • Mine Own Executioner (1947)
  • The Dark Past (1948)
  • The Cobweb (1955)
  • Freud (1962)
  • Pressure Point (1962)
  • Captain Newman, M.D. (1963)
  • The President's Analyst (1967)
  • Equus (1977)

Unclassified conditions- These movies were done with some possible mental issues but need further defining-

(List with movies up to 1979 will be updated as more movies are classified)

• Like 1

Well, I dunno much about that OTHER stuff here MM. BUT I sure can probably give ya Chapter & Verse on that whole "OCD" thing here, dude!

Yep, seein' as how I seem very "obsessed" lately with tryin' to get a certain someone around here to recognize their penchant toward extreme "Vindictive" behavior!

(...so, ya wanna know anything about THAT???...The "OCD" thing, that is...you'll have to check with the other person for any insights into that whole "Vindictive" thing, unfortunately!) LOL

I think about that every time I log in to these boards.

So where would you put The Caine Mutiny?

I added that one at the bottom and listed it as paranoia for now, I have to pull my copy to see what the "doctor" diagnosed the Captain as having, lol.

I am going to add any suggestions to the list on the first post to keep this up to date with the latest ones too.

Well, I dunno much about that OTHER stuff here MM. BUT I sure can probably give ya Chapter & Verse on that whole "OCD" thing here, dude!

Yep, seein' as how I seem very "obsessed" lately with tryin' to get a certain someone around here to recognize their penchant toward extreme "Vindictive" behavior!

(...so, ya wanna know anything about THAT???...The "OCD" thing, that is...you'll have to check with the other person for any insights into that whole "Vindictive" thing, unfortunately!) LOL

So you are saying we might have patients?

Here are a few more to categorize:

Mirage (amnesia)

Fear Strikes Out (dominating father)

Shock Corridor (reporter pretending to be crazy goes crazy)

Just to lighten it up, a great film that's hilarious is WHAT ABOUT BOB? perfect for the OCD category

On a more serious note THE DEER HUNTER for post tramatic stress disorder

Hey MM! I think I've got a good one for ya here...

How about Julie Harris as Nell in "The Haunting"? Seems to me she goes a little cuckoo while staying in Hill House, wouldn't ya say?

(...though then again, DOES she???...and which of course makes that film such a memorable exercise in the idea of the paranormal)

I guess every main character in just about every movie suffered from some sort of mental disorder, however mild. Wouldn't you say Rick Blaine suffered from a kind of alienation complex?

Nah Swithin! Rick's just a little hurt and "vindictive" for a little while in that flick, THAT'S all! ;)

BUT, good ol' Rick gets over it eventually!

(...sorry...my "OCD" seems to be actin' up again!!!) LOL

You sure you aren't malingering on me? lol.

Well, I suppose I've been known to LINGER around where I'm not all that appreciated, but NOBODY can say I'm a MAlingerer, ol' boy!!!

(...well...okay...I suppose one COULD call me that, but as you see, I "work" REALLY hard once I put my mind to somethin'!) ;) 

Like the OP. Many of my favorite movies center around healing emotional or mental illness....

How about SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER?

And one of my favorites; THE FISHER KING?

Do comedies count? How about ZELIG?

Histrionic personality disorder - a pattern of excessive attention-seeking emotions

A PEST ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD 12/2014-1/15 

Well, I suppose I've been known to LINGER around where I'm not all that appreciated, but NOBODY can say I'm a MAlingerer, ol' boy!!!

(...well...okay...I suppose one COULD call me that, but as you see, I "work" REALLY hard once I put my mind to somethin'!) ;) 

Huh, members of Menscha are suppose to know what malingering is, lol. Check the list.

Bogart in Treasure of the Sierra Madre

e40c49ea-0aec-4b2a-be3d-32e82ac04200_zps

"What d'ya mean I'm paranoid? You're all against me!"

Yes, that one is also added, a no brainer for paranoia. TCM should do a mental health month and have a quack dissect these movies and explain the symptoms and outcomes for patients, lol.

Added, I stuck White Heat under mother complex and added birdman of Alcatraz as Lancaster seemed to suffer the same complex symptoms.

Huh, members of Menscha are suppose to know what malingering is, lol. Check the list.

"Menscha", eh MM?! LOL

I'm guessin' that's some kind'a group of really nice people with really high I.Q.s, right?! 

(...well, as that guy up there to the left always said: "I'd never belong to ANY group which would accept me as a member!"...and in THIS case, even if I WAS "nice" and 'possessed a high I.Q"...neither of which, unfortunately, I doubt I could legitimately claim to be or possess!) ;)

"Menscha", eh MM?! LOL

I'm guessin' that's some kind'a group of really nice people with really high I.Q.s, right?! 

(...well, as that guy up there to the left always said: "I'd never belong to ANY group which would accept me as a member!"...and in THIS case, even if I WAS "nice" and 'possessed a high I.Q"...neither of which, unfortunately, I doubt I could legitimately claim to be or possess!) ;)

Lol, if they ever do a remake The Wizard of Oz can hand out menscha cards. lol

Here's a more subtle one, at least in presentation: what about Errol Flynn's character towards the end of The Charge of the Light Brigade?

He becomes so obsessed with vengeance against the villainous Surat Khan (after the latter's responsibility for the slaughter of innocent women and children earlier in the film) that he illegally alters military orders from a RETREAT of the Light Brigade from a known canon protected "Valley of Death" to an ADVANCE AND TAKE THE ENEMY. 

He does this fully knowing that he and most of the light brigade will be sacrificed in the process. Flynn, of course, is played up like a hero in the film. But aren't his character's actions possibly the reflection of a mental illness?

(Adding to his stress at the time is the fact that his fiancee has recently rejected him for his brother).

chargeofthelightbrigade31_zps48245495.jp

Is he hero or a man who has flipped his helmet?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings