Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Worst Movie Musical Ever Made!

> {quote:title=butterscotchgreer wrote:}{quote}

> oh boy, i could never think a musical was horrible! i love music too much to dis too much on any musical, but there are a few that arent exactly the best and dont have so great of music. i do have a couple least favorite musicals, but not many. heehee! i dont think i could name them though. but i wish when people make a musical, that they would put their best into it, the show deserves as much attention, and when the most effort isnt put into a musical, for me, thats letting me down, b/c i love them so much.

Nicest comment I've read in a long time! ;)

> {quote:title=MissMusical wrote:}{quote}

> Also, the choreography was *so* bad that the Golden Raspberry "Governor's Award" was invented just so the film could win it. What an honor!

Not it isn't. That's just somebody trying to be hip and cool and snarky. The film is utterly ridiculous, from start to finish, and cheaply made; but no more so than any of the beach movies, which are regularly shown on TCM. The musical numbers, are entertaining, including the choreography. And I think the film is better than all the films listed in my post, below. Now I won't say another word, lest you think I'm the film's producer or something!

*Butterscotchgreer* wrote:

>oh boy, i could never think a musical was horrible! i love music too much to dis too much on any musical, but there are a few that arent exactly the best and dont have so great of music. i do have a couple least favorite musicals, but not many. heehee! i dont think i could name them though. but i wish when people make a musical, that they would put their best into it, the show deserves as much attention, and when the most effort isnt put into a musical, for me, thats letting me down, b/c i love them so much.

*Film Fatale* wrote:

>Nicest comment I've read in a long time! ;)

The same for me. It's nice to see a post with some criticism but so adroitly conveyed and without mentioning names, from someone who truly loves the genre. If I were a maker of musicals and read this post, I would be moved to "put my best into" it, and then a little bit more.

I just bought the special edition w/ a 75 page scrapbook *"Guys And Dolls"* on Amazon like a week ago! I don't like Marlon Brando, but this is the only film I will watch him in. I always felt so sorry for Frank because the role of Sky was his dream role. He wanted it SO bad, but I think he was so amazing in the role of Nathan that the film wouldn't have been as good with him as Sky. And I know this is kinda like biting the hand that feeds me (The defense of "GAD" was truly kind Mizzini!), but I almost prefer Brando's voice to Gene's....RUN FOR COVER!

*MILLIE!!* You really didn't say that did you? Mumbles? You almost prefer _Mumbles'_ voice to Gene's?! Goodness gracious, girlfriend, either you truly hate my dear Gene or you're just deaf.

Oh yes, and you better get on your running shoes, cause I'm coming after you!

*The same for me. It's nice to see a post with some criticism but so adroitly conveyed and without mentioning names, from someone who truly loves the genre. If I were a maker of musicals and read this post, I would be moved to "put my best into" it, and then a little bit more.*

hey swashy!!

yes i truely love this genre of movies. i could never cruely criticize anything about this genre....maybe some constructive criticism at times to make them a bit more better and more full of sparkles, but never hate down upon the people who make musicals. because every one of them that actually take the time to make musicals are each full of imagination!

Mizzini, I don't hate Gene! I LOVE him 10,000,000 times more than Brando (who I really hate! But like in this film only), but Mr. Gene's voice is rather annoying to me.

Now Fred's voice is comforting and soothing...like listening to a close friend or an nice uncle. (I personally have no uncles like that, but I have heard they exist...LOL!)

So there, I have said it. Now a peace offering....

gene-kelly.jpg

Oh, that gives me a great deal of comfort! I'm happy to know you don't hate him. One wouldn't know by all the Gene-bashing you do ;) I'll have you know, I haven't once bashed Fred on these boards. I've bashed Grace Kelly though, so I guess that makes us even.

Thank you for the peace offering, Millie. You are very kind.

*I'd rather watch From Justin to Kelly than Guys and Dolls*

Gulp! I didn't even know those words could go together in the same sentence! I think there must be something terribly wrong with you. ;)

But I was very happy to see you gave some props to Xanadu. Bad? Yes. Do I still love it? Oh yeah. Awhile back it was on On Demand so I could watch it without commercial interruption and more importantly without having to feel guilty about spending the rental charge. I'll probably still buy it at some point. :)

Hey Hey Hey ...leave my Gene alone....I would have perfered Gene Kelly to Marlon Brando!!

I think this is why I don't like "Guys and Dolls" is the mis-casting of Mr. Brando! It's just wrong on so many levels! When I watch "The Godfather" part of me is just wating for him to jump on the desk or something and break into song!

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> When I watch "The Godfather" part of me is just wating for him to jump on the desk or something and break into song!

LOL! Don't say that! My Grandpa just gave me a VHS copy of *"The Wild One"* because he wants me to see it. Now, I won't be able to watch it without the mental picture running through my head! LOL!

Not sure anyone mentioned *Lost Horizon*. It actually has a very good score. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit the film, at all. I'm not a fan of the original, non-musical version, but the musical just takes this rather mediocre tale, and extends it for an eternity. It's horrible, on almost every conceivable level. Other than a laserdisc, it has never had another home video format release. Not that it should.

I came acress _Lost Horizon_ (1973) many years ago on Encore..Shhh..but I did like it!

I thought it was somewhat out there, but I did like it.

I wish it would come to DVD or even VHS ...alas no luck!

*The film was not available on video for years until Pioneer Entertainment released a reconstructed version of the longer cut on laserdisc. It is out of print and now fetches high prices on eBay.*

*_Per Wikipedia:_*

Large parts of the score were deleted after the film's road show release. The dance sections of "Living Together, Growing Together" were cut, and the master negatives lost. "If I Could Go Back", "Where Knowledge Ends (Faith Begins)", and "I Come To You" were cut, but restored for the laserdisc release of the film. All of the songs appear on the soundtrack LP and CD. According to the notes on the laserdisc release, Sally Kellerman and George Kennedy had a reprise of "Living Together, Growing Together" that was also lost.

Also, the soundtrack was moderately more successful than the film peaking at #56 on the Billboard Hot 200.

The song "_Things I Will Not Miss_" was covered by Diana Ross and Marvin Gaye for the 1973 album _Diana and Marvin_.

I was so tired of all this *"Guys And Dolls"* bashing that I watched it last night....again! I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it...of course! While I watched it I worked on my schedule for TCM. I obviously did not realize what I was doing, because one minute I looked and a space was empty. The next minute *"Guys And Dolls"* was in it. Maybe, it was the ghost of Marlon Brando.

Have no fear it will not be on the schedule...probably...LOL!

I also, was looking at the scrapbook. It was a lot of fun. I had a bunch of publicity stuff. One ad said that this movie was the director's greatest achievement. (He is the guy who directed *"All About Eve"* Joseph M. I can't for the life of me spell his name!) I thought, Yeah Right! LOL! They also said that Brando singing was going to be a hit sensation! HA! HA! HA!

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

> They also said that Brando singing was going to be a hit sensation! HA! HA! HA!

Oh, well, hindsight is always 20/20. ;)

Although I haven't seen *Guys and Dolls* in ages, I do have pretty good memories of it. My only quibble at the time was that there didn't seem to be good letterboxed transfers of it at that time. I really think the movie will look amazing when it's out on Blu-Ray (cross my fingers!).

So I just thought: what does everyone think of Stanley Donen's *The Little Prince* ??

I have to confess, I always adored Saint-Exup?ry's charming book, but have mixed feelings (and somewhat fuzzy memories) of the musical. The one song I can remember offhand is "A Snake in the Grass". The rest I can't even remember, and I'm not sure I would want to watch again.