Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Poor Robert Redford

lydecker

OK.  I know TCM has gotten cheap.  And, often the excuse is . . . "No one is still alive who can talk about the Star of the Month." However, there are tons of celebs who could have voiced the Robert Redford SOTM Tribute including co-stars:  Jane Fonda, Barbra Streisand, Dustin Hoffman, etc. etc.

Robert Redford doing a v/o about Natalie Wood does not exactly fill the bill.

Man up, TCM and spend a few $$$ to properly salute your SOTM.

Lydecker

OK.  I know TCM has gotten cheap.  And, often the excuse is . . . "No one is still alive who can talk about the Star of the Month." However, there are tons of celebs who could have voiced the Robert Redford SOTM Tribute including co-stars:  Jane Fonda, Barbra Streisand, Dustin Hoffman, etc. etc.

Lydecker

not like

In late 1965 or early ’66,  I had a chance to meet James Wong Howe in New Orleans. They were filming Robert Redford at night, walking down the street in the rain. I was able to talk to Howe for about 3 minutes. He set up the scene and the lights, and he let camera operators do the actual filming of the scene. :)

I do wish this film had a better ending.

06-07-2010+09%3B15%3B14am.jpg

• Like 2

Lydecker

Maybe nobody likes him.

In late 1965 or early ’66,  I had a chance to meet James Wong Howe in New Orleans. They were filming Robert Redford at night, walking down the street in the rain. I was able to talk to Howe for about 3 minutes. He set up the scene and the lights, and he let camera operators do the actual filming of the scene. :)

I do wish this film had a better ending.

If we're discussing THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED, I am going to disagree. I love the ending. These stories are all about Williams' sister Rose. Mary Badham is playing a younger version of Rose in this movie-- we are seeing another snapshot into the real Blanche DuBois, at a stage when her whole life was starting to spiral in ambiguous directions. This film is not actually about the love story between Redford and Wood's characters-- it is about the impact that a mother's decisions has on a daughter. It's a brilliant ending.

If we're discussing THIS PROPERTY IS CONDEMNED, I am going to disagree. I love the ending. These stories are all about Williams' sister Rose. Mary Badham is playing a younger version of Rose in this movie-- we are seeing another snapshot into the real Blanche DuBois, at a stage when her whole life was starting to spiral in ambiguous directions. This film is not actually about the love story between Redford and Wood's characters-- it is about the impact that a mother's decisions has on a daughter. It's a brilliant ending.

It CAN all be a matter of opinion.  For example, there WAS a drama teacher in my high school who used to say, "It really isn't hard to improve a Tennesssee Wiliams play."

But anyway, although I've heard of this movie a lot over the years, I never saw it before last night.  My first impressions were---

I wasn't aware that Badham DID any acting after "Mockingbird".

I didn't know Jon Provost ever appeared in anything close to a major movie!

But I thought the movie was pretty good, and I got the "impact of a Mother's decisions" thing.

Sepiatone

Thanks for the information. But for me...ME.... I prefer a cute love story with a happy ending. If I want to feel bad and depressed, I'll just look in a mirror. 

:)

• Like 2

Thanks for the information. But for me...ME.... I prefer a cute love story with a happy ending. If I want to feel bad and depressed, I'll just look in a mirror. 

I guess you don't watch police procedurals from the UK.

They wipe the floor with American actors in the same genre, but they never, ever, ever, ever end happily. Ever.

But they're worth it. With rare exceptions, they are outstanding.

I understand what you are saying but I can't fully agree. I think sometimes Fred you want film to be a pill, to help you escape from the realities of the world. You want to go to a movie and be comforted, I get that. But it's idiotic to think that is how every film should be, because life is not always going to be two lovers heading off into the sunset. It's not the way all people live. Nor is it the way all people should live.

At any rate, film can be instructional and insightful-- there should not always be a happy ending. We need to see things for how they really are-- no sedative to lull us into a false complacency about our society.

Anyone who wants happy endings has no business watching a Tennessee Williams story on stage or on the screen.

I understand what you are saying but I can't fully agree. I think sometimes Fred you want film to be a pill, to help you escape from the realities of the world. You want to go to a movie and be comforted, I get that. But it's idiotic to think that is how every film should be, because life is not always going to be two lovers heading off into the sunset. It's not the way all people live. Nor is it the way all people should live.

At any rate, film can be instructional and insightful-- there should not always be a happy ending. We need to see things for how they really are-- no sedative to lull us into a false complacency about our society.

Anyone who wants happy endings has no business watching a Tennessee Williams story on stage or on the screen.

See Wiki :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Property_Is_Condemned

Budget $4.62 million[1]

Box office $2.6 million (est. US/ Canada rentals)[2]

See Wiki :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Property_Is_Condemned

Budget $4.62 million[1]

Box office $2.6 million (est. US/ Canada rentals)[2]

You are implying it would have made more money with a happy ending, but that is not the kind of story Williams was telling. What about its box office on Broadway and in community theatres across the country? I am sure a lot of people have paid money over the years to see the story performed without needing a happy ending.

My mother loved Robert Redford, but I just never cared for the guy. I was a bit taken aback when I saw he was going to be a star of the month on TCM. Like, who cares?

Ah, but TCM is after those "youngish" demos . . . hence, Robert Redford gets the nod before Joan Blondell or George Sanders!

Lydecker

My mother loved Robert Redford, but I just never cared for the guy. I was a bit taken aback when I saw he was going to be a star of the month on TCM. Like, who cares?

I do. Best star of the month in years. If only they'd gotten 'Situation Hopeless But Not Serious', 'The Hot Rock', 'Little Fauss and Big Halsey', and 'Tell Them Willie Boy is Here' into the mix, I'd be almost perfectly happy.

• Like 1

I like Robert Redford in a couple of movies, however I have to say something about one that he comes off horribly. It is A Bridge Too Far, an excellent movie that is a true story. Robert Redford in that movie plays Major Cook and looks and acts nothing like a guy who has been in combat. Don't want to say more as I do like him in a couple of movies but that one sticks out badly. It is about as bad as Brando in Mutiny On The Bounty.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings