Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Academy Award nominations are in...

jakeem

Meryl Streep received a record 19th Academy Award nomination (this time for Best Supporting Actress in "Into the Woods"). And there will be only eight films vying for Best Picture at the 87th Oscars ceremony on Sunday, February 22, 2015.

Meanwhile, Bradley Cooper received his third consecutive Oscar nomination, this time as Best Actor in the Clint Eastwood-directed film "American Sniper." Cooper also received a nomination as a producer of the film, which is up for Best Picture.

The big winners were "Birdman" and "The Grand Budapest Hotel" with nine nominations each.

Here's a list of the nominations, which were revealed Thursday morning:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/01/15/2015-oscar-nominations-complete-coverage/

By the way, "Selma" received a Best Picture nomination, but no Best Director nod for Ava DuVernay. Also missing in action: Jennifer Aniston, who was not nominated for Best Actress in "Cake," and Angelina Jolie, whose second directorial effort, "Unbroken," did not place in the Best Picture and Best Director categories.

I think "American Sniper" is going to be THE contoversy of the nominations.

I have read some savage reviews of it.

Maybe you are right about that. I thought it had a chance for a Best Picture nomination, but I was surprised that Clint Eastwood didn't get one for Best Director.

I believe he is one of the film's producers, too, making him eligible for a third Best Picture Oscar.

Ugh.

to be completely fair though, I do have to admit that I have not seen "american sniper" and since I started posting using my phone, I can't provide links anymore- but there was a really really good article at: slate.com that went into the many many inaccuracies presented in the film.

I also know the guy that the film is about died tragically not too long ago but I think it's safe to say there are some pretty serious issues about his character out there as well.

Ugh.

to be completely fair though, I do have to admit that I have not seen "american sniper" and since I started posting using my phone, I can't provide links anymore- but there was a really really good article at: slate.com that went into the many many inaccuracies presented in the film.

I also know the guy that the film is about died tragically not too long ago but I think it's safe to say there are some pretty serious issues about his character out there as well.

I retrieved the Slate.com article you mentioned and have posted it below:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_movie_club/features/2014/the_movie_club_2014/worst_movies_of_2014_american_sniper_glosses_over_chris_kyle_s_lies.html

I retrieved the Slate.com article you mentioned and have posted it below:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_movie_club/features/2014/the_movie_club_2014/worst_movies_of_2014_american_sniper_glosses_over_chris_kyle_s_lies.html[/quote

thank you so much for that.

I really miss being able to post links to articles now that I have to use my phone to post here.

by the way, Slate.com posted a similar takedown of the movie "Wild", which did score a nomination for Reese Witherspoon, and the movie "Cake", which did not earn a one for Jennifer Aniston.

by the way, Slate.com posted a similar takedown of the movie "Wild", which did score a nomination for Reese Witherspoon, and the movie "Cake", which did not earn a one for Jennifer Aniston.

I'm happy that Reese Witherspoon was nominated for "Wild," although she probably won't win Best Actress (this appears to be Julianne Moore's year). Witherspoon produced "Wild" and "Gone Gone," but neither was nominated for Best Picture. Meanwhile, she has to compete with Rosamund Pike of "Gone Girl" in the Best Actress category. It's a good thing Witherspoon already has an Oscar.

I'm happy that Reese Witherspoon was nominated for "Wild," although she probably won't win Best Actress (this appears to be Julianne Moore's year). Witherspoon produced "Wild" and "Gone Gone," but neither was nominated for Best Picture. Meanwhile, she has to compete with Rosamund Pike of "Gone Girl" in the Best Actress category. It's a good thing Witherspoon already has an Oscar.

The slate article that slammed "Wild" mentioned Witherspoon originally opted "Gone girl" with the intention of starring in it herself .

it also speculated that she would have been perfect for the role that earned a nomination this morning for Miss Pike.

the writer of the piece really, really did not like "Wild": (i haven't seen it.)

The slate article that slammed "Wild" mentioned Witherspoon originally opted "Gone girl" with the intention of starring in it herself .

it also speculated that she would have been perfect for the role that earned a nomination this morning for Miss Pike.

the writer of the piece really, really did not like "Wild": (i haven't seen it.)

I just find it interesting that neither "Wild" nor "Gone Girl" was nominated for Best Picture. In 2009, the Academy made a big deal of expanding the maximum number of Best Picture nominees from five to up to 10. And they haven't had 10 nominees since the 2010 slate of movies.

I was surprised Foxcatcher did not get a Best Picture nomination and Aniston a best actress nod (neither of which I've seen) Otherwise not too many surprises. Thought Into the Woods would get more technical nominations. Expected Unbroken to be ignored. Many deserving best actor nominees this year that couldnt make the cut. Selma may be a good movie, but I hate Oprah, so wasnt too unhappy about that coming up short........Was a bit surprised Budapest Hotel got so many nominations (that I did see and enjoyed).....

• Like 1

My pet peeve is putting lead actors into a supporting category to increase their chances of an Oscar nomination and win.  This year it is Robert Duvall in The Judge.

I was very impressed with Angelina Jolie as a director with Unbroken.  It is very easy to go 'Clint' with the modern war films and I think she managed to put an individual touch to her film.

After seeing American Sniper and J. Edgar I was of the opinion that retirement might be in order for Eastwood.

I just find it interesting that neither "Wild" nor "Gone Girl" was nominated for Best Picture. In 2009, the Academy made a big deal of expanding the maximum number of Best Picture nominees from five to up to 10. And they haven't had 10 nominees since the 2010 slate of movies.

I'm just glad the Best Actress race features a couple of commercial names in more or less commercial releases. ... more often than not it seems like that particular contest is composed of mostly some 8mm,camcorder s*** that NO one saw or would want to see.

I was surprised Foxcatcher did not get a Best Picture nomination and Aniston a best actress nod (neither of which I've seen) Otherwise not too many surprises. Thought Into the Woods would get more technical nominations. Expected Unbroken to be ignored. Many deserving best actor nominees this year that couldnt make the cut. Selma may be a good movie, but I hate Oprah, so wasnt too unhappy about that coming up short........Was a bit surprised Budapest Hotel got so many nominations (that I did see and enjoyed).....

Here's an interesting list of snubs and surprises from TheWrap.com:

http://www.thewrap.com/the-biggest-snubs-and-surprises-oscars-2015-photos/1/

So are they supposed to apportion a slot or slots each year based on race in each category? 

No. The reaction is derived from sentiment about Oprah's movie and its historical significance. And, of course, a lot of people were rooting for a Best Director nomination for Ava DuVernay, despite the controversy about inaccuracies in "Selma."

No. The reaction is derived from sentiment about Oprah's movie and its historical significance. And, of course, a lot of people were rooting for a Best Director nomination for Ava DuVernay, despite the controversy about inaccuracies in "Selma."

Well, snubs and omissions happen every year. That's life! Happens to white people too.......

Yeah, Jennifer Aniston is a member of the Academy, and she can't seem to get a break!

There's probably some TV snobbism mixed in there. There's always the risk waiting till the very end of the year to release indie films. (getting enough exposure)....

There's probably some TV snobbism mixed in there. There's always the risk waiting till the very end of the year to release indie films. (getting enough exposure)....

Aniston also has been queen of romantic comedies. It took Matthew McConaughey years to break out of that kind of mold.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings