Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Doris Day Biopic Due

Im4movies2

I open this thread to discuss if a bio pic on Doris Day should be done and who would portray the major players. I feel one should be done with Amy Adams as Doris and Christoph Waltz as Marty Melcher. The Big Eyes duo could do it again. Could Amy sing? Well, she could lip synch to Doris's vocals.

Unless Doris herself were to encourage such a project ( and  I would be very surprised about that) I prefer to let her own films tell her story.  A bio pic would  tend to exploit the unfortunate aspects of her life and career and there's always room for a lot of misinterpretation of facts.  So out of respect and admiration for her I say there's no point in such a film, I would probably never watch it.  

• Like 2

Is this based on any news? This idea has been kicking around since her memoirs came out over 30  years ago. She nixed the idea. (as far as selling her book for any movie) I hope, for her sake, if anything ever gets filmed they wait till she passes as I'm sure she wouldnt be happy about it.

• Like 1

What other classic movie stars have had biopics done about them? Why should Doris be selected?

Well, why not? Her personal life was full of drama. And the music would be great. I just dont have any faith in Hollywood doing a good job of it and I'm sure she wouldnt be happy about it during what time she has left..........

Well, why not? Her personal life was full of drama. And the music would be great. I just dont have any faith in Hollywood doing a good job of it and I'm sure she wouldnt be happy about it during what time she has left..........

Oh wait, I forgot about THE NED SPARKS STORY (2003), which did reasonably well at the box office.

It's not an impossibility that it could be good. Look at "Coal Miner's Daughter". But it's much more likely that it would fall into the hands of someone "trending" like Taylor Swift. Does Doris have the rights to her own vocals or is that a more modern phenomenon? Anyway, I agree that if Doris would hate having it done, how could it be an honor to her?

It's not an impossibility that it could be good. Look at "Coal Miner's Daughter". But it's much more likely that it would fall into the hands of someone "trending" like Taylor Swift. Does Doris have the rights to her own vocals or is that a more modern phenomenon? Anyway, I agree that if Doris would hate having it done, how could it be an honor to her?

Yes, it could be good in the right hands with the right star and a good script/director. But what are the odds of that? Would be a difficult project since she's lived so long (for one actress to bridge the age gap) Unless they just did part of her life...........I doubt Doris "owns" the rights to her music catalog.....

Yep.  The biggest problem WOULD be casting...just look at the OP

Since the two principals ARE the "hottest" things on toast today, it DOESN'T mean either would be a good choice.

I don't think Adams would be right for the role.  Doesn't have that "Doris vibe".

Oddly enough, even though SHE hasn't done any major movie(that I know of) one actress I can THINK of that has SORT of the "Doris vibe" and LOOK( with the right haircut, that is) is TV's KALEY CUOCO.

But, no matter who WOULD be perfect for the role, the chances of them GETTING the role are slim, due to the fact (that the OP made clear) that producers DON'T CARE for the right PERSON for the ROLE, but, the RIGHT DRAW for the BOX OFFICE.

But then I'M one of those oddballs who think the actor or actress assigned to portray some long ago or long-gone celebrity at least RESEMBLE the person to SOME degree....Lest we wind up with the gosh-awful MISCASTING like when a tall, bloated TIM McINTIRE was cast to play the SHORT and SLIM ALAN FREED.

Sepiatone

I can't help but be intrigued at the prospect of this film.  But I don't think it will ever happen.  And it would be such a tremendous undertaking, that they could not possibly include  every significant aspect of her life.  As far as Amy Adams goes, to answer someone's question, yes, she can sing.  Does anyone remember "Enchanted"?  She had several great numbers in that.  But since I have doubts that a quality production would come out of this, I'm inclined to think that it would be best to just leave this project alone.

Terrence.

I can't help but be intrigued at the prospect of this film.  But I don't think it will ever happen.  And it would be such a tremendous undertaking, that they could not possibly include  every significant aspect of her life.  As far as Amy Adams goes, to answer someone's question, yes, she can sing.  Does anyone remember "Enchanted"?  She had several great numbers in that.  But since I have doubts that a quality production would come out of this, I'm inclined to think that it would be best to just leave this project alone.

Terrence.

Why would anyone spend money to make a movie about the life of Doris Day?    I just don't see much general public interest in such a project.   So how would the producers even break even?      I'm not knocking Day,  but only films about the iconic stars like Monroe have a chance of making a profit.  

Why would anyone spend money to make a movie about the life of Doris Day?    I just don't see much general public interest in such a project.   So how would the producers even break even?      I'm not knocking Day,  but only films about the iconic stars like Monroe have a chance of making a profit.  

Why would someone make a picture of the American Sniper guy? He's hardly well known. Younger people probably dont know much about Day (aside from her name) but that wouldnt necessarily mean they wont do a film about her at some point..........It's all about the story. And Hollywood loves to make movies about Hollywood........

• Like 1

Terrence.

Even if she couldnt sing, lip synching wouldnt necessarily hurt the picture. Jessica Lange lip synched to Patsy Cline's recordings in Sweet Dreams. I dont think it hurt the picture. She did a good job...

Why would someone make a picture of the American Sniper guy? He's hardly well known. Younger people probably dont know much about Day (aside from her name) but that wouldnt necessarily mean they wont do a film about her at some point..........It's all about the story. And Hollywood loves to make movies about Hollywood........

It should be very obvious why Eastwood made a movie about an American Sniper and why so many people are paying to see the film, but I fail to see how that movie is relevant to a movie about an actress that hasn't made a movie in decades. 

You could be correct that producers will find the funding to make a movie about Doris Day.   I just doubt it (unless it is a made for TV movie which I still doubt but that is more likely).

Yea,  a movie about Audrey Hepburn,  that I could see.   James Dean,   Wayne,  or maybe Bogart.   But Day?    She isn't iconic.   So my basis point is;  out of the hundreds of stars that haven't seen a movie made about their life,  why is Day being discussed before so many others?      What makes her life more relevant to audiences today than these others? 

PS:  It is true that movies are made about country western stars that one could say where NOT as big as Day.  But I view the country western audience as more 'hard core' in their remembrance of performers from previous eras.       

It should be very obvious why Eastwood made a movie about an American Sniper and why so many people are paying to see the film, but I fail to see how that movie is relevant to a movie about an actress that hasn't made a movie in decades. 

You could be correct that producers will find the funding to make a movie about Doris Day.   I just doubt it (unless it is a made for TV movie which I still doubt but that is more likely).

Yea,  a movie about Audrey Hepburn,  that I could see.   James Dean,   Wayne,  or maybe Bogart.   But Day?    She isn't iconic.   So my basis point is;  out of the hundreds of stars that haven't seen a movie made about their life,  why is Day being discussed before so many others?      What makes her life more relevant to audiences today than these others? 

PS:  It is true that movies are made about country western stars that one could say where NOT as big as Day.  But I view the country western audience as more 'hard core' in their remembrance of performers from previous eras.       

No, it isnt obvious to me, aside that it would be a violent movie. And Americans like their violence. Day was Hollywood's biggest postwar star and a top singer to boot. Her personal life was filled with drama. I'd say she's pretty iconic as the Girl Next Door in the movies (though less so in real life). What might hurt the project is the time period detail which could be expensive. She has fans all over the world and the worldwide box office would be a factor too....Older people still go to the movies (like me).........

• Like 1

No, it isnt obvious to me, aside that it would be a violent movie. And Americans like their violence. Day was Hollywood's biggest postwar star and a top singer to boot. Her personal life was filled with drama. I'd say she's pretty iconic as the Girl Next Door in the movies (though less so in real life). What might hurt the project is the time period detail which could be expensive. She has fans all over the world and the worldwide box office would be a factor too....Older people still go to the movies (like me).........

As I said in my initial post,  I'm NOT knocking Day.   I enjoy her early movies and I like her jazz influenced recordings.   So a movie that focused on her abilities prior to the movies she starred in the 60s (movies I don't like at all),  would interest me.   BUT you and I do NOT represent the general viewing public.

I'm laughing at the point of 'older people still go to the movies,,,'.    That has been a topic of many threads.  That Hollywood caters to a certain demographic and baby,  it isn't us!      So I think you still misunderstand my POV here.   While you and I have similar taste I just don't see the general viewing public being interested in a movie about Doris Day.      The question isn't if she HAS fans around the world but if she has ENOUGH fans.    

Hey,  Olivia DeHavilland is my favorite living studio-era actress.    I have many pictures of her on my wall.    She was BIG in her day (e.g. winning two Oscars and one additional nomination in a 4 year period).    99% of the people I know do NOT know who she is.

As I said in my initial post,  I'm NOT knocking Day.   I enjoy her early movies and I like her jazz influenced recordings.   So a movie that focused on her abilities prior to the movies she starred in the 60s (movies I don't like at all),  would interest me.   BUT you and I do NOT represent the general viewing public.

I'm laughing at the point of 'older people still go to the movies,,,'.    That has been a topic of many threads.  That Hollywood caters to a certain demographic and baby,  it isn't us!      So I think you still misunderstand my POV here.   While you and I have similar taste I just don't see the general viewing public being interested in a movie about Doris Day.      The question isn't if she HAS fans around the world but if she has ENOUGH fans.    

Hey,  Olivia DeHavilland is my favorite living studio-era actress.    I have many pictures of her on my wall.    She was BIG in her day (e.g. winning two Oscars and one additional nomination in a 4 year period).    99% of the people I know do NOT know who she is.

I still say with a good script and director it would make a good film. If the reviews were good, and word of mouth good, people would go to see it. Maybe not Milleniums, but there'd be enough people I think to make it successful (taking worldwide grosses into account) What difference would it make if it was about a fictional character? Like I said, Hollywood, loves making films about Hollywood and  her story would touch a lot of bases (A Star Is Born among others). Plus have a great soundtrack.........

People not knowing who she is makes little difference. If the story is good, people will go. And MANY people know who she is.........

I still say with a good script and director it would make a good film. If the reviews were good, and word of mouth good, people would go to see it. Maybe not Milleniums, but there'd be enough people I think to make it successful (taking worldwide grosses into account) What difference would it make if it was about a fictional character? Like I said, Hollywood, loves making films about Hollywood and  her story would touch a lot of bases (A Star Is Born among others). Plus have a great soundtrack.........

People not knowing who she is makes little difference. If the story is good, people will go. And MANY people know who she is.........

Again,  I NEVER said that a good film couldn't be made.   I said that I don't see anyone willing to put up the money to make a film about her life due to a lack of interest by the general viewing public.    Anyhow,  you think there would be enough people and I don't.

I really hope your right (just like I really hope that if people were exposed to straight ahead jazz music they would love it like I do),  but I'm a cynic.     As for people not knowing who she is making little difference.   Sorry but to me your really stretching it.   For a biopic who the person is,  is everything.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings