Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Buddies

Sepiatone

What I'm meaning is that most of us have friends, and some close friends that we met where we work. One of MINE was the best man at my second wedding.  Another one, after transferring to a different plant died some years later tragically in a work accident.

But I'm really asking about those "buddies" who seem unlikely in Hollywood, like JIM BACKUS being (what I've always heard) close friends with VICTOR MATURE, or the unlikely sounding friendship(supposedly) of MARLON BRANDO and WALLY COX.

Stuff like that!

Sepiatone

One of which I'm sure most people are aware of is the long close friendship between Henry Fonda and James Stewart. Politically the two men were always on opposite sides, the story goes that early in their friendship they had a rather heated argument about some issue but then resolved to forget  about that and just go on with being buddies.  Concentrate on their common interests and values. That friendship was tested at times, like during the Vietnam war era, but never wavered. In the later years they did several films together and THE CHEYENNE SOCIAL CLUB demonstrates just how good a friendship they had in real life.

Bob Newhart and Don Rickles.

I remember one or both of them appeared on The Tonight Show back in the '70s and showed home movies of an overseas vacation they and their wives had taken together. 

What I'm meaning is that most of us have friends, and some close friends that we met where we work. One of MINE was the best man at my second wedding.  Another one, after transferring to a different plant died some years later tragically in a work accident.

But I'm really asking about those "buddies" who seem unlikely in Hollywood, like JIM BACKUS being (what I've always heard) close friends with VICTOR MATURE, or the unlikely sounding friendship(supposedly) of MARLON BRANDO and WALLY COX.

Stuff like that!

Sepiatone

Mature was a big golfer. maybe he and Backus were golf buddies? :)

Despite a 19-year age difference, Jack Haley became Jackie Gleason's best friend in Hollywood when they appeared together in Warner Brothers' Navy Blues in 1941.  It was young Gleason's film debut. 

Myrna Loy and Joan Crawford preferred rather different lifestyles with divergent interests, but they had enough commonalities on top of love and respect for each other that they were friends for life (having met as unknowns on an early picture and sticking together through stardom and getting older).

The Bundy Drive Boys: John Barrymore, Errol Flynn, Thomas Mitchell, Ben Hecht, Gene Fowler, John Carradine, Alan Mowbray, Roland Yound, and Anthony Quinn. Whew!

WERE all these guys REALLY "Buddies", or just live on the same street?

I know FLYNN and DAVID NIVEN were "buddies" for a while at one time,  But, THAT group up there sounds interesting.  AND, more like a GANG than a few "buddies".  Never heard of that bunch hangin' out a lot together.

Sepiatone

The Bundy Drive Boys: John Barrymore, Errol Flynn, Thomas Mitchell, Ben Hecht, Gene Fowler, John Carradine, Alan Mowbray, Roland Yound, and Anthony Quinn.

WERE all these guys REALLY "Buddies", or just live on the same street?

Read Gene Fowler's book Minutes of the Last Meeting. Fowler and Barrymore were part of a group that included W.C. Fields, painter John Decker, and art critic Sadakichi Hartmann, a fascinating half-German, half-Japanese character who had once been Walt Whitman's secretary.

Talk about odd couple -- Jack Klugman was once roommates with Charles Bronson.

Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman, and Robert Duvall also roomed together at various times, as did Wayne Rogers and Peter Falk.

Bronson was notorious as being anti-social. In the commentary for Magnificent Seven it's said that he couldn't tolerate the company of more than one person at a time in a social situation. If he was with Brad Dexter (for example) he was relaxed and conversational. But if a third person should join them, he'd immediately retreat from all conversation.

He was quoted once as saying "I don't have any friends in Hollywood and I don't want any".

Maybe someone p!ssed him off with judgement or something for stealing David McCallum's wife during the making of Great Escape.

Whatever. Who doesn't love Bronson as an actor.

Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer and Tommy Bond, who played Butch the bully in the Our Gang films, were enemies on the screen, but were close friends in real life.  

Burt Reynolds and Charles Durning were good friends.  Burt made sure that he and Charles appeared together in several movies.  The same situation applied to Clint Eastwood and Pat Hingle.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings