Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JANUARY 15th on TCM

PrinceSaliano

In case the Prince is offline, I would venture a guess that he's referring to the fact that it's William Beaudine day. I've set my DVR to record a few of the films. Don't think I've ever seen any of them, at least not in recent decades!

• Like 1

In case the Prince is offline, I would venture a guess that he's referring to the fact that it's William Beaudine day. I've set my DVR to record a few of the films. Don't think I've ever seen any of them, at least not in recent decades!

Oh, I see. Some of the titles were unknown to me. He specialized in B pictures, right? I still have "One Thrilling Night" on the DVR, a recent TCM offering, I've been re-watching it. I like it, it has a few cute gags.

Not sure if people noticed, but in HOT RHYTHM, the couple billed as Tim & Irene-- that's Tim Ryan and Irene Ryan, years before her long-running stint as Granny Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Tim Ryan appeared in a few other Monogram films airing today on TCM-- including LEAVE IT TO THE IRISH; SHADOW OF SUSPICION; and FASHION MODEL. In addition to acting, he wrote screenplays for quite a few Monogram pictures.

Those old Monograms usually do. Maybe they wouldn't be so bad if they weren't so dark and muddy. Can't make out what's going on.

That and the amateurish acting and the facile storyline.

I guess these were the third or fourth movies on the bill with the main picture, the B movie, and the cartoon?

That and the amateurish acting and the facile storyline.

I guess these were the third or fourth movies on the bill with the main picture, the B movie, and the cartoon?

I taped them and haven't watched anything but 20 minutes of the first one but "bad high school play" 

did come to mind as I watched that first 20 minutes.

Lydecker

That just about sums up all of them.

I usually ' select' very carefully any Monogram  pictures,i watched several mainly because i complete many actors & actresses, when i looked at the titles i was curious,but when i saw Monogram, i was no more interested,i watch 600-700 movies a year  but i do not need to suffer that much. I have an impression january 2015 is the worst one in a long time not mentionning the perennial Elvis day...,is it true? or just my own feeling? Robert Redford as star of the month? i like him but now i expect Sean Connery,Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman great actors,but in the same bracket as Redford,and why not Burt Reynolds I was happy they showed Hell`s Highway this week,i did not watch it again,as i saw it here 5 years ago and recorded it,it is if i remember a great film for the time- 1932- about jail and chain gangs as usual Richard Dix was excellent,unfortunately nobody mentionned it this week,TCM more Richard Dix movies please

So what is the point?    That a great day for TCM is when they show movies they rarely,  if ever show,  regardless of the quality of the movie?    

I wonder what the point is, too...but these Monogram pictures TCM shown recently were not all poor quality. Yes, some were one out of four stars, but a few were two out of four stars-- and I would give BELOW THE DEADLINE a 2.5 on that scale.

TCM should give viewers more variety, and that includes occasional examples of poverty row output.

One thing I wanted to add is that sometimes we had character actors and actresses or stars on the decline trying to pick up extra work. So although the productions were not stellar, the acting often was fine. So there is something worthwhile to be found in a lot of these titles.

The showing of rarely-seen films from that era is always something to celebrate. Hope that was erudite enough for you.

Prince, if another poster is insulting you then just report her. Stand up to the bullying. We should be able to have conversations here without the rudeness.

I appreciate your starting this thread. As I said earlier, I enjoyed BELOW THE DEADLINE. I also liked seeing Eddie Quillan in HERE COMES KELLY.

The showing of rarely-seen films from that era is always something to celebrate. Hope that was erudite enough for you.

Gotcha. And I too love to see rarely-seen classically classic films, and am soooooooooooo disappointed when they turn out to be stinkers. Now Hot Saturday, that was a rarely seen and a gem. For........me.

These were such stinkers, in......my........opinion, that I didn't last all the way through with any of them.

So I did understand your brilliant point. I notice you weren't snarky to any of the others who thought they stunk.

And again, unless you have the schedule for the en-tire year, you don't know that this was  the best day on TCM all year.

The best day thus far, perhaps, for you, but not for those here who didn't love them simply because they were not in regular rotation.

Rock on.

Gotcha. And I too love to see rarely-seen classically classic films, and am soooooooooooo disappointed when they turn out to be stinkers. Now Hot Saturday, that was a rarely seen and a gem. For........me.

These were such stinkers, in......my........opinion, that I didn't last all the way through with any of them.

So I did understand your brilliant point. I notice you weren't snarky to any of the others who thought they stunk.

And again, unless you have the schedule for the en-tire year, you don't know that this was  the best day on TCM all year.

The best day thus far, perhaps, for you, but not for those here who didn't love them simply because they were not in regular rotation.

Rock on.

You have enough snark for the both of us.

• Like 1

Just watched and enjoyed The Living Ghost (1942), directed by William Beaudine.  It may not be the pinnacle of Monogram's achievement -- that distinction belongs to King of the Zombies (also with Joan Woodbury) -- but The Living Ghost is a lot of fun.  Crazy cast featuring James Dunn, J. Farrell McDonald, and (although she disappears without explanation half way through the film), a rather nutsy performance by Minerva Urecal. Sometimes this sort of stuff is far more satisfying than some turgid "grade-A" movie. 

Minerva+Urecal+in+The+Living+Ghost+(1942

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings