Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Ideal Co-Host From Hollywood's Past- Who Would Be Your Pick For the Essentials?

TomJH

Okay, so we know that Sally Field will be the Essentials co-host for the upcoming season.

But if you could pick ANYBODY from Hollywood's past to be on that panel with RO, who would it be?

Lillian Gish, so you may hear her insights if a D. W. Griffith silent was part of the agenda?

Charles Laughton or Robert Mitchum, if only for the night when The Night of the Hunter was about to unravel?

Billy Wilder, if only for his wit, and a million anecdotes about his films, and the people he dealt with.

Charlie Chaplin, Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, well, you get the idea.

If you could wave a magic wand, and bring somebody back from the past, who would be sitting in that chair for a season opposite Robert?

And why would you want that person?

ORSON WELLES!

Not only a quick wit, but an amazing insight to past film work, and how the "biz" worked in general, and of course, that VOICE!

He did several talk shows in the '70's( Dinah Shore, a LOT) and always seemed affable and interesting....at least, to ME.

Plus, he was no dummy.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Donald Crisp: this long careered actor/director/motion picture businessman had an amazing life.  Appeared in so very many many silents and talkies including 1915's BIRTH OF A NATION.  The stories and experiences he could relate would be legendary for the TCM viewers.  Give me Donald Crisp sitting across from RO for the Essentials.

• Like 1

Donald Crisp: this long careered actor/director/motion picture businessman had an amazing life.  Appeared in so very many many silents and talkies including 1915's BIRTH OF A NATION.  The stories and experiences he could relate would be legendary for the TCM viewers.  Give me Donald Crisp sitting across from RO for the Essentials.

Donald Crisp would be great but it would be a challenge for the interviewer to focus on the most interesting things he was part of in his very busy and long career.     

If you could wave a magic wand, and bring somebody back from the past, who would be sitting in that chair for a season opposite Robert?

And why would you want that person?

Myrna Loy.  Because she was there through so much of Hollywood history, and because she was intelligent, frank but not gossipy, had (until the end) a terrific memory and could thus share lots of tidbits, and was quick to call out the prejudice and stereotypes on display in many films, including those in which she appeared.   

(And because I'd just like to be able to wave a magic wand and bring Myrna Loy back on general principle.)

• Like 2

I tend to agree with Sepiatone that Orson Welles would be a marvelous co-host with RO. He was articulate, knowledgeable about the business, and I would have a lot of respect for his opinion. Just his voice alone, on a superficial level, would provide a certain gravitas to his opinion.

On the other hand, I would also like to see Myrna Loy brought back if only because, like Bastet, I like the thought of Myrna coming back.

Beyond those two, however, my own pick would probably be Billy Wilder. Like Welles, an intelligent, highly knowledgeable filmmaker whose opinion is worth something if only because of all the classics he made. And, I suspect, he would have one heck of a lot of great anecdotes to share with TCM viewers. 

I would love to see: Vincent Price as co-host because he was one of the most insightful, intelligent, and empathetic actors of all time. His gentle good humor and wonderful voice would be as if wrapping myself in fuzzy blanket as settling in to watch movie.

I would love to see also: Steve McQueen as co-host because he is Steve McQueen and what woman does not wish to see him often?

• Like 1

I was thinking more about this question on my drive home from work. 

I think Lauren Bacall would have been a great Essentials host and it's a shame she didn't do so while she was still around.  She would undoubtedly make some excellent selections and not only have the intelligence to say why a film is an Essential, but she'd also be strong enough to defend her selection to Robert Osborne if he disagreed with her.  I think Bacall and Osborne could have had some very spirited debates.

I loved Osborne's anecdote that he shared about Bacall about the time she called up TCM to complain that they were showing too many Elvis movies.  Hilarious.

• Like 1

David Niven would make an engaging, witty co-host.  Also Roddy McDowell, as he knew everyone and would have endless stories.

Pamela Mason was such great fun to watch on Merv Griffin and other talk shows, quick and sharp and charming.  I'd love to hear her chat with Mr. O about movies.  

• Like 1

I must wonder if: Jack Paar and: Steve Allen would be excellent co-hosts.

They were each in few theatrical movies but they knew well directors, producers, actors and many other people in the trade. They would be able to provide also unique slant of what public expectations were and how well movies and stars met or failed those expectations. It is likely also that they knew how movies influenced popular culture by knowing how artists, fashion designers, writers, politicians and other such people were influenced by movies.

I would love to see: Vincent Price as co-host because he was one of the most insightful, intelligent, and empathetic actors of all time. His gentle good humor and wonderful voice would be as if wrapping myself in fuzzy blanket as settling in to watch movie.

I would love to see also: Steve McQueen as co-host because he is Steve McQueen and what woman does not wish to see him often?

Hey, what about having  the two Steve McQueens doing a co-hosting?  The live one could have a seance with the dead one! 

David Niven would make an engaging, witty co-host.  

I'm not certain how really film knowledgeable David Niven was, but if there would ever be an Essential co-host who could also be a great raconteur, he would be it. I recall seeing Niven on talk shows years ago and being enthralled with his charm and wit. The other thing is, Niven seemed to have known EVERYBODY! I'm sure he would have some great tales about any of a number of films (and certainly stars and directors) that TCM might show on the Essentials.

Good pick, GD!

• Like 1

I must wonder if: Jack Paar and: Steve Allen would be excellent co-hosts.

They were each in few theatrical movies but they knew well directors, producers, actors and many other people in the trade. They would be able to provide also unique slant of what public expectations were and how well movies and stars met or failed those expectations. It is likely also that they knew how movies influenced popular culture by knowing how artists, fashion designers, writers, politicians and other such people were influenced by movies.

I could go along with either,.

Allen, based solely on his concept and presentation of the show "Meeting of The Minds" he did several years ago.  Sort of the same concept forwarded in this thread!

In spite of his sometimes oddball level of humor("SMOCK!  SMOCK!")  Allen did have a higher level of intelligence than many of his contemporaries. and in THAT vien, I'd also nominate, for similar reasons...EARNIE KOVACS!

Sepiatone

Hitchcock would be a mesmerizing co-host.  What a guy.  What an amazing personality. 

He'd certainly be able to talk with absolute authority about his own films. I understand he controlled every word spoken by his actors.

It would be fascinating to hear his thoughts on other directors' movies.

hmmmmmm, how about anyone from the silent era complete with title cards for their repartee with Bob O?  Or Harpo Marx running rampant the whole season getting into the projection room and running the films backwards, upsidedown, sideways, and answering all Bob's points and comments with toots of his horn, making the Googie face at Bob when he disagrees with something Bob says, and cutting Bob's ties in half? Now, that's something I'd watch.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings