Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Face of Marble

NipkowDisc

what an old chestnut. mildly fond of it though having first seen it when I was young. John Carradine in one of his inumerable outings as a mad scientist...and this one is textbook. mad scientists, as we all know, are gentlemanly souls almost always inhabiting big seaside manors with nice furniture and carpeting. Carradine is Doctor Randolph, who with the able assistance of the young Doctor Cochran, will devise a process for rejuvenating the dead. they succeed with the results always forthcoming. kindly Doctor Randolph sacrifices his wife Elaine's pet great dane Brutus to science and Brutus gets to become a nocturnal ghost dog. aggressive of course. Brutus only shows up at nite and goes through walls.
The fly in the ointment in all this is maria, the old voodoo housekeeper who is loyal to Elaine the wife but harbors ill will for Doctor Randolph.
after the young doctor cochran destroys in acid maria's fetish doll she sours on doctor cochran. his girl linda visits and maria tries to kill her with a voodoo death vapor but the bumbling voodoo hag gasses the wrong girl and Elaine is dead.
Randolph and Cochran use their neon tube juicifier and Elaine gets to look like marble for a few moments.
they put her to bed.
when brutus the ghost dog shows up at nite, maria has Elaine stick her own husband with a dagger but at least before exiting the picture, Carradine gets to see Brutus one final time. :D

the voodoo hag housekeeper then blames the murder on Cochran.
Cochran won't have it and breaks away after punching the cop and then shadrach the scared houseboy shows up to clear things up.
Cochran races back to the manor to aid linda but Elaine and Brutus are up to their evil work. Cochran wrestles Brutus until the cops switch on the lights and Elaine who was gonna throttle linda is gone too.
the film ends with Elaine and Brutus' footprints going into the drink. maria? I think she gassed herself. why? who cares.

the biting questions: were Elaine and Brutus material or incorporeal or both? only in the dark? where was Brutus during the day?

p.s. tcm really showed an excellent print too. :D

Yes, I really liked the print too. The part that I saw looked like a film bouncing in a projector like it was on a trampoline. 

yes, quite. is this an example of just how much tender regard tcm truly has for this old kind of fodder? low-budget sure but it's still fun and the IMDb description makes mention of one of the film's strong points being a high contrast picture. they obviously haven't gotten a gander at tcm's most excellent print. :)

I mean really. all those frame jumps and the picture looked faded too.

hollywood's low-budget horror and science fictiom legacy is entitled to just as much attention as tcm's precious film noir genre pet movies.

yes, quite. is this an example of just how much tender regard tcm truly has for this old kind of fodder? low-budget sure but it's still fun and the IMDb description makes mention of one of the film's strong points being a high contrast picture. they obviously haven't gotten a gander at tcm's most excellent print. :)

I mean really. all those frame jumps and the picture looked faded too.

hollywood's low-budget horror and science fictiom legacy is entitled to just as much attention as tcm's precious film noir genre pet movies.

if films like the face of marble or say Dead Men Walk with George Zucco are eventually lost it's gonna be because they were disregarded and ignored.

1946 was a big year for Rosa Rey. She played Maria, Claudia Drake's Voodoo maid in The Face of Marble. Despite the fact that she appeared to be dead at the end of the film, she arose as Maria, Rita Hayworth's maid, in Gilda. No mistaking that voice!

Which is a long way of saying, I just watched The Face of Marble, a fairly stodgy affair. Glad I saw it, though. I somehow fixated on the breakfast. They always seemed to have big goblets of something, which they ate with a spoon. What was it?

And they did the old horror/mystery movie bed trick. Which is quite different from the classical bed trick, used by Shakespeare and others!

The good Maria:

Gilda: "Listen Maria, Carnival."

Maria: "Yes, little one. Carnival."

11750716_112758490564.jpg

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings