Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

20 Million Miles to Earth (1957): Good movie

roverrocks

I really enjoyed watching Ray Harryhausen's excellent special effects ever-growing creature from Venus this afternoon.  Good movie with a good story I had not seen before.  20MILLION MILES FROM EARTH (1957) was well worth watching.  Great travelog for Ancient Rome as well.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed watching Ray Harryhausen's excellent special effects ever-growing creature from Venus this afternoon.  Good movie with a good story I had not seen before.  20MILLION MILES FROM EARTH (1957) was well worth watching.  Great travelog for Ancient Rome as well.

reminds me of that Dean Martin song "That's Y 'Mir" :lol:

Poor thing went from one hell into another one.

282.jpg

Not trying to co-opt your thread, and only because it was in the same day's lineup, but did anyone see Attack of the 50 Foot Woman? Yes, it was hilariously bad, with the transparent giants and amazing expandable clothing and the chains holding a 50 foot woman in a 15X15 bedroom and the bad acting and the smashed car was a Woodie and the station wagon was a Plymouth and .... well, name your own, but:

the giant took off after he stole the Star of India - apparently he collected diamonds from rich women, why not just raid a jewelry store on Rodeo Drive? Question: HOW did he get the diamond from Harry's pocket, where the weasel had put it to dangle it in front of his s-k-a-n-k (thanks, Fred!) after he had drugged Nancy?

Oh, and come ON, Leonard, ZERO stars? I've seen some of the movies you love, bub, your credibility is nil.

the giant took off after he stole the Star of India - apparently he collected diamonds from rich women, why not just raid a jewelry store on Rodeo Drive? 

He may not have wished the diamonds solely because that are diamonds.

Crystallized carbon is an excellent substrate for thin-film deposition of aldehyde co-joined dependencies with delta- and p- sensitive constraints. Human body oils contain ketone matricies which bind to covalent-neutral surfaces to form delta-sensitive adponents. Adipose structural integrities are present in acute concentrations of dermal secretions of people whose diet is rich in acidic nanoproteins. ASIs are captured by R-De2 binding. The resulting formation inhibits p-electron rotation in Beta and Tau planes. Such surfaces act as catalysts for Carbon-Phosphate-Nitrogen reactions. These degrade polymeric hydrocarbons found in bi-stable effusions and create CxKN4 compounds which are known neurostimulators.

TL:DR - diamonds rubbing against the skin of heavily-perfumed greasy women become uppers.

Diamonds presented for sale in jewelry stores would not be attractive to him as they are nearly always cleaned prior to display. 

Crystallized carbon is an excellent substrate for thin-film deposition of aldehyde co-joined dependencies with delta- and p- sensitive constraints. Human body oils contain ketone matricies which bind to covalent-neutral surfaces to form delta-sensitive adponents. Adipose structural integrities are present in acute concentrations of dermal secretions of people whose diet is rich in acidic nanoproteins. ASIs are captured by R-De2 binding. The resulting formation inhibits p-electron rotation in Beta and Tau planes. Such surfaces act as catalysts for Carbon-Phosphate-Nitrogen reactions. These degrade polymeric hydrocarbons found in bi-stable effusions and create CxKN4 compounds which are known neurostimulators.

TL:DR - diamonds rubbing against the skin of heavily-perfumed greasy women become uppers.

Diamonds presented for sale in jewelry stores would not be attractive to him as they are nearly always cleaned prior to display. 

WOW!  :D

The things you learn on this board.

Besides, who wants a piece of compressed coal.

ac115_zpsef4ce547.png

I recorded this one sometime back and occasionally watch it again.  Not as good the 5th or 6th time, but still entertaining. The Praying Mantis is another good one that features William Hopper.  Have always liked him; probably because of his role in Perry Mason.

It seemed totally believable.

I thank you for that kind assessment. I am practicing writing which seems authoritative while being complete nonsense.

The basic concept I presented was from my husband. A friend of ours commented that he had recently spent much money to have wife's jewelry cleaned and that she now seems to finger it much more which means it will need cleaning again soon. My husband explained that it was because she was not now receiving stimulation which she normally experienced when touching them. He then elaborated how body oils form film on cold stones and this film traps and concentrates pheromones which the body can reabsorb.

We have rule that we can use other's concepts from such things if we change details of description.

I thank you for that kind assessment. I am practicing writing which seems authoritative while being complete nonsense.

The basic concept I presented was from my husband. A friend of ours commented that he had recently spent much money to have wife's jewelry cleaned and that she now seems to finger it much more which means it will need cleaning again soon. My husband explained that it was because she was not now receiving stimulation which she normally experienced when touching them. He then elaborated how body oils form film on cold stones and this film traps and concentrates pheromones which the body can reabsorb.

We have rule that we can use other's concepts from such things if we change details of description.

Wonderful! Lewis Carroll had an excellent piece in Jabberwocky...........and then of course there is Professor Erwin Corey. :D

OMG, he turned 100 years old last July! Hey, he'd make a good host for the Essentials!!!!!!!

the giant took off after he stole the Star of India - apparently he collected diamonds from rich women, why not just raid a jewelry store on Rodeo Drive? Question: HOW did he get the diamond from Harry's pocket, where the weasel had put it to dangle it in front of his s-k-a-n-k (thanks, Fred!) after he had drugged Nancy?

Since the bartender was played by the same actor who portrayed the giant, he probably lifted the jewels from Harry when he was normal size (the giant, not Harry).

Really? How funny, never even noticed. Did he too have hair on his knuckles? The bartender, not the giant.

Ewwww.

Never noticed the bartender's knuckles, but he had a head of hair. Guess it dissipated as he grew.

Love the special effects:  the giant picks up a car, and when he drops it, it's a different model.

The real special effects belong to Yvette Vickers and Allison Hayes.

• Like 2

Regarding 20 Million Miles to Earth, it's an entertaining movie for its time. Interesting plot, decent special effects, Joan Taylor in shorts ...

I agree.   What also adds value is that we see the creature as a young 'baby' at the start of the film.   This makes us have sympathy for the creature (similar to the natural love we have for a bear cub).       But like a bear cub once it is fully grown it can't be tamed.

Never noticed the bartender's knuckles, but he had a head of hair. Guess it dissipated as he grew.

Love the special effects:  the giant picks up a car, and when he drops it, it's a different model.

The real special effects belong to Yvette Vickers and Allison Hayes.

Wasn't that hilarious, rich? Well, not for the car.

I'd have to defer to TheCid, but I think the junked car was a Woodie. The station wagon was not.

And wouldya believe, the dopey Deputy, who could neither act nor dance, could write? Really write? He wrote many a script for Bonanza and The Virginian. 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings