Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Canadian Actor Who Played Charlie Farquharson

darkblue

Like Paul Reubens, who became more recognized as Pee Wee Herman than himself - and Bob Einstein, who became more recognized as "Super" Dave Osborne than himself - old Charley Farquharson was played for the past 50 years by Canadian actor Don Harron.

Don has passed, age 90.

harron_don_250.jpg

A few years ago I watched the 1965 Fugitive episode "Conspiracy of Silence" , wherein Kimble is working as a busboy at a desert resort and stumbles into a secret government weapons test.

The head honcho of the testing program is played by Donald Harron

VQwLMz6.jpg

I'd never heard of him before, and was surprised to see him given top guest star billing, above the familiar (to me at least) Malachi Throne.

So I looked him up on IMDb and was astounded to learn this wannabe leading man was the same guy who played the grizzled coot on Hee Haw!

zTcYQFS.jpg

Harron played some other US TV roles at the time (including The Outer Limits and The Man From Uncle) but eventually returned to Canada where he was very successful in radio with the Charlie Farquharson character. The Canadian creators of Hee Haw asked him to bring the character to US TV, a suggestion Harron initially rejected, insisting the Charlie was too intrinsically Canadian for American success.

• Like 1

Never heard of Harron, OR Charley Farquharson, never ever being a "Hee Haw" viewer....

But, it's a mistake to think Americans will never appreciate what some arrogant Canadians think is "intristically Canadian". like, perhaps..."Second City Television", or "Red Green". 

Sepiatone

it's a mistake to think Americans will never appreciate what some arrogant Canadians think is "intristically Canadian".

Those arrogant producers, Frank Peppiatt and John Aylesworth, were intrinsically Canadian themselves.

Never heard of Harron, OR Charley Farquharson, never ever being a "Hee Haw" viewer....

Down here in my neck of the woods, it was hard to avoid.

And in its defense, it did preserve many great country music performances for posterity.

• Like 1

Guest TCMModerator1

Like Paul Reubens, who became more recognized as **** Wee Herman than himself - and Bob Einstein, who became more recognized as "Super" Dave Osborne than himself - old Charley Farquharson was played for the past 50 years by Canadian actor Don Harron.

Don has passed, age 90.

harron_don_250.jpg

I have removed the word "Pee" from the bad word filter so Paul Reubens's alter ego may be referenced here.  

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings