Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Whatever happened to the "Fabulous Face" threads?

misswonderly3

Some might wonder why I, of all people, started this thread, since I rarely participated in either of the "Oh That Face, That Fabulous Face" threads myself. (I believe there was one for "classic" actors, and another for slightly more recent ones.)

But I do recall the high popularity of these threads, and am curious as to why I don't see them anymore. (I rarely contributed to them because I was not very good at it - the "game" of identifying former actors and actresses...)

Were the "F.F." threads moved to games or something? But I didn't see them there, either.

Some might wonder why I, of all people, started this thread, since I rarely participated in either of the "Oh That Face, That Fabulous Face" threads myself. (I believe there was one for "classic" actors, and another for slightly more recent ones.)

But I do recall the high popularity of these threads, and am curious as to why I don't see them anymore. (I rarely contributed to them because I was not very good at it - the "game" of identifying former actors and actresses...)

Were the "F.F." threads moved to games or something? But I didn't see them there, either.

One of the casualties of the new website.

Thank you, Rich !

:)

I tried to revive the original cross-over thread back in August of twenty-fourteen - gagman never returned to confirm my reply, and, apparently, the photo I responded to has lost it's link to the hosting site - it be gone!

Here are the threads:

I gave up posting in the original thread due to one or more participant's (apparent) usage of a means of ID-ing photos to repeatedly ID a pic two seconds after it was posted - - leading to an exercise in futility.

The same thing was going on in the Post 50's thread, but more people were participating and having fun, despite the above mentioned practice - thanks in large part to MilesArcher's contributions.

The original "face" thread of some 6 years ago would have been a good spot for those trying to ID rare photos of Hollywood persons - such as those posted in the Information, please! thread by DanDailey. For many, it was boring and tedious, which caused them to lurk - however, several of us enjoy the "game" of researching and, especially, making the discovery. The "face" thread was not a game to begin with. This is why it is not in Games Forum.

Ok, I'm finished.

People just got bored with them and they sank farther and farther back out of sight.

Aw, poor Fabulous Face threads.

How fickle we human beans are.

I used to check it out sometimes, but I was terrible at guessing who the fabulous faces belonged to (other than the obvious ones.)

Thank you, Rich !

I tried to revive the original cross-over thread back in August of twenty-fourteen - gagman never returned to confirm my reply, and, apparently, the photo I responded to has lost it's link to the hosting site - it be gone!

Here are the threads:

I gave up posting in the original thread due to one or more participants (apparent) usage of a means of ID-ing photos to repeatedly ID a pic two seconds after it was posted - - leading to an exercise in futility.

Thanks, Kid.

Of course, with the internet , it's so easy to cheat and I.D. the pics. That is definitely cheating - where is that person's sense of honour?

Sometimes I wonder if there's any cheating like that -ie, looking up the answers on the net (hey, the poster's already on-line anyway) practised by any unworthy unscrupulous villains in the "Games" forum.

But that would take all the fun out of it. I assume the majority of our "Games and Trivia" playing friends here are the souls of integrity.

Thanks, Kid.

Of course, with the internet , it's so easy to cheat and I.D. the pics. That is definitely cheating - where is that person's sense of honour?

Sometimes I wonder if there's any cheating like that -ie, looking up the answers on the net (hey, the poster's already on-line anyway) practised by any unworthy unscrupulous villains in the "Games" forum.

But that would take all the fun out of it. I assume the majority of our "Games and Trivia" playing friends here are the souls of integrity.

Actually missw we do both. But most times, when we don't know the answer we just don't work on that question and answer one we do  know. However, Nothing wrong with some research. Since you never participate on those threads, it would be hard for you to understand that we do have fun on those threads, even when we "cheat" and look up the answers and btw (that's NOT cheating) It takes some knowledge to even think up questions. We like our core group that have been playing together for many years, and playing all these years, most of us have learned quite a bit about actors, films and the business. In fact we sometimes chuckle reading some of the gen discussions posts. It's info most of us on the trivia threads have known for years.

Sometimes out of courtesy to a poster who has bothered to post a question, we do research to solve their question. That's also integrity and respect for the one who bothered to think up a question.

• Like 1

Thank you, Rich !

Here are the threads:

I gave up posting in the original thread due to one or more participants (apparent) usage of a means of ID-ing photos to repeatedly ID a pic two seconds after it was posted - - leading to an exercise in futility.

The same thing was going on in the Post 50's thread, but more people were participating and having fun, despite the above mentioned practice - thanks in large part to MilesArcher's contributions.

The original "face" thread of some 6 years ago would have been a good spot for those trying to ID rare photos of Hollywood persons - such as those posted in the Information, please! thread by DanDailey. For many, it was boring and tedious, which caused them to lurk - however, several of us enjoy the "game" of researching and, especially, making the discovery. The "face" thread was not a game to begin with. This is why it is not in Games Forum.

Ok, I'm finished.

usage of a means of ID-ing photos to repeatedly ID a pic two seconds after it was posted 

REALLY? Cool - the technology, I mean. Not the heelots (gee, I wonder who) who did this.

I wonder what that technology is.

You're right, lav, there's  nothing wrong with a little honest research, especially if the player has already consulted the google in his head. (Actually, that came out sounding kind of weird....)

I didn't really express myself accurately. Given the often esoteric nature of some of the games questions, I certainly don't blame people for looking things up sometimes.

I was thinking more of people who might be tempted to look up the answer immediately, especially in those "Fabulous Faces" threads. Now to I.D. the pic without even attempting to just honestly guess who the actor is does seem a little unethical.

But I know you weren't talking about that so much as just getting a little honest help from the Web when playing some of those very challenging games.

I have noticed that the threads in the "Games and Trivia" forum are almost always very good-natured, friendly, and polite.

I rarely venture there because, well, I'm just not very good at those kinds of games. And I don't think my film knowledge is extensive enough for me to participate in any meaningful way.

But I do think there are some quite fun thread ideas there!

Actually missw we do both. But most times, when we don't know the answer we just don't work on that question and answer one we do  know. However, Nothing wrong with some research. Since you never participate on those threads, it would be hard for you to understand that we do have fun on those threads, even when we "cheat" and look up the answers and btw (that's NOT cheating) It takes some knowledge to even think up questions. We like our core group that have been playing together for many years, and playing all these years, most of us have learned quite a bit about actors, films and the business. In fact we sometimes chuckle reading some of the gen discussions posts. It's info most of us on the trivia threads have known for years.

Sometimes out of courtesy to a poster who has bothered to post a question, we do research to solve their question. That's also integrity and respect for the one who bothered to think up a question.

I agree with you that using the Internet to do some research is NOT cheating.   e.g.  if a clue tells me that the person as been married more than 3 times,   I'll use the net to verify the possible candidates I already had in my head.    To me this is better than making wild guesses. 

• Like 1

usage of a means of ID-ing photos to repeatedly ID a pic two seconds after it was posted 

REALLY? Cool - the technology, I mean. Not the heelots (gee, I wonder who) who did this.

That poster whose moniker made us think of a sponge cake, thankfully is no longer on the bds.

LOL! ... heelots..  I was actually watching that movie when you posted.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings