Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are these buttons on kid's hats?

Kid Dabb

Watching this movie, I got to wondering what those buttons or badges were on Pinky's hat. The other side of his hat has many more - couldn't find a pic of it. I've seen kids wearing these hats with buttons in several films. Does anyone remember or know about these?

121r6s0.jpg

Watching this movie, I got to wondering what those buttons or badges were on Pinky's hat. The other side of his hat has many more - couldn't find a pic of it. I've seen kids wearing these hats with buttons in several films. Does anyone remember or know about these?

I assume you saw this movie on Get-TV just the other day?    I just got a cable upgrade and I now have that station.    But no ME-TV.

I even checked the ME-TV website and it appears that station isn't available in my area.   

Great answer, Fred! Thanks!

:)

One thing I remember which was similar to these ... taking caps from soda pop bottles and attaching them to my shirt. This worked best with t-shirts. I would pull the cork seal from the inside of the metal cap, put the cap against the outside of my shirt and the cork inside my shirt - pushing the cork back into the cap, pinching the shirt in between to hold it.

Great answer, Fred! Thanks!

:)

One thing I remember which was similar to these ... taking caps from soda pop bottles and attaching them to my shirt. This worked best with t-shirts. I would pull the cork seal from the inside of the metal cap, put the cap against the outside of my shirt and the cork inside my shirt - pushing the cork back into the cap, pinching the shirt in between to hold it.

Sounds like you were a young trendsetter.   :)

5-300x225.png  180px-George_Lindsey_1970.JPGt_jughead2_170.jpg whoopeecap.jpg

Apparently, these button beanies, or "Whoopie Caps" as they were also called, started when auto mechanics like Goober needed something to keep grease out of their hair.  They took old felt fedoras and cut off the brims. Sometimes they sculpted the edges to look like a crown.  They usually adorned them with buttons and patches that referred to automotive products.  Kids, in trying to emulate them, made their own and used buttons and bottle caps.    

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings