Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paul Newman vs Robert Redford vs Sean Connery vs Steve McQueen

MovieMadness

The title of this thread makes it pretty obvious, this is a discussion of the four actors who had many great movies in their careers. Even though Steve McQueen died at a relatively early age of 50 I read he was the highest paid actor prior to that time so is worthy of including here.

If I had to pair them up on which are more similar I would do it like this-

Paul Newman - Steven McQueen

Robert Redford- Sean Connery

What amazes me about Paul Newman is he was able to take a part in a movie that was not very likable and make it likable. For example he is a dirt-bag in Hud as a son and comes off OK. I think he is a wise acre in Cool Hand Luke and somehow gets sympathy. He is a crook in The Sting and and as Butch Cassidy and same thing.

Steve McQueen ends up technically a deserter before dying in The Sand Pebbles, is a prisoner in The Getaway and Papillion, a revenge killer in Nevada Smith. However he did not have a lot of great movies.

Robert Redford is star of the month so I have to tread lightly, he used his looks and well as Sean Connery to please the ladies. And this is not a negative as looks are everything in the movies.

Bottom line is if i had to pick one as having the greatest career it would be Sean Connery.

for the record, birth years-

Paul Newman 1925 Robert Redford 1936 Steve McQueen 1930 Sean Connery 1930

The title of this thread makes it pretty obvious, this is a discussion of the four actors who had many great movies in their careers. Even though Steve McQueen died at a relatively early age of 50 I read he was the highest paid actor prior to that time so is worthy of including here.

What amazes me about Paul Newman is he was able to take a part in a movie that was not very likable and make it likable. For example he is a dirt-bag in Hud as a son and comes off OK. I think he is a wise acre in Cool Hand Luke and somehow gets sympathy. He is a crook in The Sting and and as Butch Cassidy and same thing.

Steve McQueen ends up technically a deserter before dying in The Sand Pebbles, is a prisoner in The Getaway and Papillion, a revenge killer in Nevada Smith. However he did not have a lot of great movies.

Robert Redford is star of the month so I have to tread lightly, he used his looks and well as Sean Connery to please the ladies. And this is not a negative as looks are everything in the movies.

Bottom line is if i had to pick one as having the greatest career it would be Sean Connery.

Robert Redford- Sean Connery?

Robert Redford hasn't played a Double Naught Spy for comparison.

4005562-007.jpg

I think barely a single naught would imply in those films. LOL!

But if you want to use them for comparison, then it's Sean Connery!   :D 

But in both movies, the CIA operatives played by Redford outfoxed unscrupulous members of the U.S. government's espionage hierarchy. Connery's Bond never pulled that off!

Sounds like a the quick and the dead movie star tagteam rasslin' match.

I like all these actors, but I think Newman is the one who will be remembered

as the biggest movie star. Besides he has something the others don't--

a line of salad dresssings, popcorn, spaghetti sauces, etc.

Yum

41IZOxrMjBL.jpg

Paul Newman, Steve McQueen and Sean Connery are great actors. Redford? please. his 60s screen work relies mostly on his sex appeal. the ladies love him.  :wub: but as an actor, very limited range. Newman was able to traverse ideologies and could handle roles that Redford never coulda handled let alone accept. Newman comes across as positively conservative as Hank Stamper in Sometimes a Great Notion and Newman was willing to portray Gen. Leslie Groves who oversaw the Manhattan Project in Fat Man and Little Boy. :)

Sounds like a the quick and the dead movie star tagteam rasslin' match.

I like all these actors, but I think Newman is the one who will be remembered

as the biggest movie star. Besides he has something the others don't--

a line of salad dresssings, popcorn, spaghetti sauces, etc.

Was he a secret Italian? I could see Clint Eastwood with spaghetti sauce after Spaghetti Westerns, lol.

Paul Newman, Steve McQueen and Sean Connery are great actors. Redford? please. his 60s screen work relies mostly on his sex appeal. the ladies love him.  :wub: but as an actor, very limited range. Newman was able to traverse ideologies and could handle roles that Redford never coulda handled let alone accept. Newman comes across as positively conservative as Hank Stamper in Sometimes a Great Notion and Newman was willing to portray Gen. Leslie Groves who oversaw the Manhattan Project in Fat Man and Little Boy. :)

Redford takes a back seat to no one. Would any of those other guys have been believable as Gatsby, Roy Hobbs, Bob Woodward, the egotistical skier David Chappellet of "Downhill Racer," the Great Waldo Pepper or U.S. Senate candidate Bill McKay? Doubtful.

And remember, it was Redford, not Newman, who received a Best Actor nomination for "The Sting."

And I won't even get into the huge impact that Redford has had as a filmmaker. 

• Like 1

Hmmmmm...I dunno here, MM. This is a tough one here.

And so, let us review each guy's "credentials" here, if we may.

Okay. First up, we have Paul here...

56d52b3626a5021a58fc9028452d0aec.jpg

...riding the correct brand of motorcycle...Triumph, of course.

And then, we have Steve here...

steve-mcqueen-bud-ekins-triumph-desert-m

...and of course, also riding the correct brand of motorcycle.

And then we have Sean, who I don't think rode a motorcycle much at all, though I was able to find what appears to be a staged shot of him sitting on an old Moto Guzzi police bike here...

tumblr_m5tj94Q0zF1qlbtloo1_500.jpg

And then, last but not least, we have Bob here...

35ac36f39686f3bf91fdb19e585e78c2.jpg

...riding a Yamaha. Though yes, while it being the case of not riding that "correct brand", at least he's riding.

And so, and as I earlier stated, this IS a tough call to make here, but I THINK I'm gonna go with Paul and Steve on this one.

(...and because of course of that whole "riding the correct brand of motorcycle" thing!) 

;)

• Like 1

I tried one of Newman's Own products, think it was salad dressing, and

it wasn't that great. Maybe I'll give it another chance sometime. Maybe

Eastwood could market Extra Meaty and Bloody spaghetti sauce.

Price: A few dollars more than the name brands.

I would recommend Newman's Own Alfredo Sauce.  It's very good.

As for their acting ability, I think they're all very similar.  For the ladies, they are pretty good eye candy.  For the guys, they are pretty tough cookies who often play by their own rules.  It entirely depends on which movie is showing for me.  I like Hud.  I like The Hill.  I like Papillon, and I like The Great Gatsby.  Because of his long turn as James Bond, I'd have to say Connery is my favorite because I love all the 007 movies in which he starred.  Of course, the movies I mentioned were great not just because of these "Fab 4", but because of the supporting casts, cinematography, directing, et al.

• Like 1

And so, and as I earlier stated, this IS a tough call to make here, but I THINK I'm gonna go with Paul and Steve on this one.

(...and because of course of that whole "riding the correct brand of motorcycle" thing!) 

Is Paul Newman delivering early copies of his secret food recipes on the back of the motorcycle? I see Steve McQueen is trampling all over precious desert and endangered species with his. I like the way Robert Redford is a law abiding citizen as he is the only one to have a helmet, lol.

Is Paul Newman delivering early copies of his secret food recipes on the back of the motorcycle? I see Steve McQueen is trampling all over precious desert and endangered species with his. I like the way Robert Redford is a law abiding citizen as he is the only one to have a helmet, lol.

LOL

Actually MM, I WAS gonna mention that Bob there seemed to be the only one of 'em SMART enough to know to always wear your helmet when riding a motorcycle.

(...and I have a personal story about how wearing one saved my noggin after some idiot driver pulled out right in front of me on my brand new 1995 Triumph while I was going 45mph down a road and to my workplace at LAX...yep, I still remember seein' that asphalt coming up to meet my head as I flew through the air that fateful day...yep, if it wasn't for that ol' brain bucket I was sportin' that day, I'd probably be even "nuttier" than I am today, and DEFINITELY not nearly as good lookin' as I am now days TOO!!!)  LOL

;)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings