Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The most overplayed song within the running time of one film

sewhite2000

The title track of TO SIR WITH LOVE! Played all the way through twice, and the first verse gets played two more times. All that shameless self-promotion, and then it didn't even get an Oscar nomination.

Curiously, just like "Mrs. Robinson" in the Graduate, the version you hear (and hear and hear and hear ...) in the film isn't the same as the version that was a No. 1 single in the US. There are no strings; the tempo is faster, and the lyrics of the second verse are completely different.

The title track of TO SIR WITH LOVE! Played all the way through twice, and the first verse gets played two more times. All that shameless self-promotion, and then it didn't even get an Oscar nomination.

Curiously, just like "Mrs. Robinson" in the Graduate, the version you hear (and hear and hear and hear ...) in the film isn't the same as the version that was a No. 1 single in the US. There are no strings; the tempo is faster, and the lyrics of the second verse are completely different.

I wish I could remember the title but back in the early 1970's on the CBS Late Night Movie there was a film shot in the desert southwest and its ENTIRE soundtrack was a fast 6 note music on a guitar.  Over and over and over! I remembered that more than the movie itself.

Would anyone know what it is?

Edited by hamradio

I wish I could remember the title but back in the early 1970's on the CBS Late Night Movie there was a film shot in the deseret southwest and its ENTIRE soundtrack was a fast 6 note music on a guitar.  Over and over and over! I remembered that more than the movie itself.

Would anyone know what it is?

Blue? Fade-In?

I am able to think of several songs that may be considered overplayed throughout movies.  Whether they are irritating or not is up to the "ears of the hearer".

Laura

The Merry Widow Waltz:  Shadow of a Doubt

As Time Goes By

The Theme Song from Dr. Zhivago

Moon River

Charade

The Elephant Walk

I believe in some instances the overplaying of theme songs in movies is a method of the movie executives to promote the song for the Academy Awards and the desire to have a hit single and sell albums. 

There was this movie my daughter and I watched once called 'Me and the Kid'. It was a vehicle (lead role) for Danny Aiello, if you can imagine such a thing.

As far as I remember there was one song in the movie called 'Going Down to Mexico' and it played - and it played - and it played -  for the last two thirds of the movie until we thought we were gonna upchuk from hearing it anymore.

I'm pretty sure it would be the champion of this topic.

I noticed the other night while watching THE GOODBYE GIRL, snippets of the theme song is used throughout the story- whenever the Elliot charactor is playing his guitar-he strums it. Thankfully, the insipid radio version is only played at the end & you can turn the sound off while reading the credits.

THE THIRD MAN and DR ZHIVAGO have to be the two most irritating soundtracks ever.

I noticed the other night while watching THE GOODBYE GIRL, snippets of the theme song is used throughout the story- whenever the Elliot charactor is playing his guitar-he strums it. Thankfully, the insipid radio version is only played at the end & you can turn the sound off while reading the credits.

THE THIRD MAN and DR ZHIVAGO have to be the two most irritating soundtracks ever.

....Based on your opinion of "Maniac", you might want to add FLASHDANCE to your list.

That Thing You Do in the film of the same name.  I thought the song was perfect for the movie, but I still got sick of hearing them perform it over and over.

I think the intent was to get the audience to realize how it felt for them to have to PERFORM it over and over. 

You might-could add THE ODD COUPLE theme to the list----

Sepiatone

In "I Wake Up Screaming," two songs are played incessantly: Harold Arlen's "Over the Rainbow" and Alfred Newman's "Street Scene." Eddie Muller has fun with this during his DVD commentary.

The only music in Robert Altman's "The Long Goodbye" is the titled theme song, written by John Williams.  It is played throughout the picture in various tempos and styles including a doorbell..

I'm.surprised that nobody has mentioned the ubiquitous "Raindrops.Keep.Falling.on my Head".from.BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID. Seems there was a.recent thread about the son's profuse use in the film.

Hmmmmm...don't they just play that song once and only during that Butch and Etta bicycle scene, Arturo?

I still don't understand how they were able to use an MGM song in a TCF film

Word is the deal was inked in..ironically enough..Kansas, Doc!

Yep, Louis B. and Zanuck met in Topeka to seal the deal.

(...well, at least that's what I heard somewhere, anyway) ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings