Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maximum Overdrive a Classic?

ben42day

I remember seeing Maximum Overdrive when I was pretty young when it had just came out as sort of drive In type material and even though I grew up with Sci Fi flicks like Them or The Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc, etc which definetly weren't no Best Years of Our Lives movie but we were kids and it was usually put on by like in our area in Michigan The Ghoul but Maximum Overdrive was only worthy of drive in's, and still is so what makes it a classic TCM?  I frankly don't get the Stephen King phenomena but different strokes I guess aye, but considering Maximum Overdrive as a classic all I can say is "what are you guys thinking over there?" TCM you really are going downhill with these new movies your showing especially with sex and nudity and movies that aren't even ten years old(what's up with that too) in it which I don't mind if that's what i'm looking for but TCM has built up a sort of clean and classy reputation and to turn TCM on and not even that late at night to try and catch a good old movie to relax to and catch some guy seducing a womens breast and the movie wasn't even that old so what made this movie get aire time? There was nothing classic about that movie that I noticed. Is Drew influencing the programming there? Is that why we're getting all these newer movies? I wonder. Anyway show some of the old movies I only seen once on TCM like Paratroop Command which even Quentin Tarantino agrees that it is one of the best war movies out there and I've only seen it once out of all the years you've been on the aire TCM and I've seen that Sugarland Express was on at least three times in less than six months and I don't know who catagorized that movie as a classic but they need their head examined. So it was co-written and directed by Steven Speilberg and was his first or one of his first movies. That doesn't define it as classic the way you've yourselves have defined classic movies over the decades. TCM is one of two channels I watch and am very grateful to have had a channel that plays old classics movies commercial free but please don't forget why you are so big and what made you popular TCM. Ben Scharf Port Huron, Michigan.

It's a classic guy type of film. (what man don't like machines outside Liberace?)

http://roadtrippers.kinja.com/maximum-overdrive-that-wonderfully-bad-crazed-machiner-1300947345

I had an idea for a movie (punning on "Wolven) called "Woven".  As the Earth passes through the tail of a comet, the clothes people wears starts to attack them. (now that's bad isn't it)

As long as one movie per year is considered a classic by the majority of viewers and critics in America, TCM can retain its moniker. And even if there isn't one.

Almost nothing that plays in the Underground timeslot enjoys such a majority reputation, so I guess you're new here.

As long as one movie per year is considered a classic by the majority of viewers and critics in America, TCM can retain its moniker. And even if there isn't one.

Almost nothing that plays in the Underground timeslot enjoys such a majority reputation, so I guess you're new here.

Well dark, according to his bio, ben42day has been a member in good standing around here for about two and half years now. And so, no, the gentleman isn't "new here".

However, he's still apparently "new" to the concept of proper PARAGRAPHING, anyway!!!

(...sorry ben ol' boy...couldn't resist) ;)

According to the schedule it was on overnight on Saturday during TCM Underground. Those films are more recent. This one came out in 1986.

Are you sure you've watched TCM before 2am Eastern Standard Time this past Saturday?

Yes, the movie was part of TCM Underground.   I guess the OP didn't know that.    Therefore most of the rant was irrelevant.

But that being said;  this was one of the worst 'underground' movies I have ever seen on TCM.    Typically even the low budget films on 'Underground'  have something interesting.     

Yes, the movie was part of TCM Underground.   I guess the OP didn't know that.    Therefore most of the rant was irrelevant.

But that being said;  this was one of the worst 'underground' movies I have ever seen on TCM.    Typically even the low budget films on 'Underground'  have something interesting.     

Hasn't almost everyone around here noticed that for the most part the "Underground" series consists mainly of low-budget "stinkers" and with their "saving grace" being that they're often little "time capsules" of a certain era in film-making(primarily the '70s-80s) and quite often seldom seen by most, and thus the "attraction" being perhaps discovering a film that while may be a "stinker" also might hold some fascination because of it being so little known by most?

At least this was always my interpretation of this film series' "intent", anyway.

(...btw...was my above first sentence up there of the "run-on" variety?...and if it WAS, then I had SOME nerve to correct Ben about HIS lack of proper paragraphing down there, now didn't I?!!!) LOL

• Like 1

Hasn't almost everyone around here noticed that for the most part the "Underground" series consists mainly of low-budget "stinkers" and with their "saving grace" being that they're often little "time capsules" of a certain era in film-making(primarily the '70s-80s) and quite often seldom seen by most, and thus the "attraction" being perhaps discovering a film that while may be a "stinker" also might hold some fascination because of it being so little known by most?

At least this was always my interpretation of this film series' "intent", anyway.

(...btw...was my above first sentence up there of the "run-on" variety?...and if it WAS, then I had SOME nerve to correct Ben about HIS lack of proper paragraphing down there, now didn't I?!!!) LOL

I agree with you that the movies shown as part of "Underground",   'might hold some fascination',  but in the case of Maximum Overdrive,  if there was any fascination,  it alluded me!  

I agree with you that the movies shown as part of "Underground",   'might hold some fascination',  but in the case of Maximum Overdrive,  if there was any fascination,  it alluded me!  

It's hard to believe that the same guy who came up with great novels like 'The Stand', 'It!', 'Misery', 'The Shining' and 'Carrie' also came up with that piece of nonsense.

Indeed, I think that is a perfect description of UNDERGROUND.

(and well done too)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings