Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New schedule is up-- Anthony Quinn is SOTM in April

TopBilled

I don't think I've ever seen a month with so many stale repeats.  If there's a noteworthy premiere in the entire lot, I haven't located it.  This is Hollywood whitebread at its nadir.

It is also proof that the TCM business model relies heavily on MGM, RKO and WB titles in the Turner Library.

By the way the Friday Night Spotlight is focusing on MGM's special effects man Arnold 'Buddy' Gillespie. He had 13 Oscar nominations, taking the prize home three times. For more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Arnold_Gillespie

I don't think I've ever seen a month with so many stale repeats.  If there's a noteworthy premiere in the entire lot, I haven't located it.  This is Hollywood whitebread at its nadir.

Agreed.  Kon Ichikawa's The Makioka Sisters is worth a look-see.  Can't recall what date it was on.  A couple of other films but considering this is 24-7 programming it is stale indeed.

Perhaps, but the TCM premieres of French Cancan and The Golden Coach are encouraging.

Some more titles for Essentials with Sally Field:

April 4: WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

April 11: ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE

April 18: THE HUSTLER

April 25: THE WIND

Interesting that Robert Osborne was very dismissive to Drew Barrymore's selection of ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE as an Essential, but now Sally Field has also chosen this movie.

Ellen Burstyn's performance in this movie is fantastic (especially in the scenes with her son). She truly does not seem to be acting. It's nice to see an American actor pull that off. 

Interesting that Robert Osborne was very dismissive to Drew Barrymore's selection of ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE as an Essential, but now Sally Field has also chosen this movie.

Ellen Burstyn's performance in this movie is fantastic (especially in the scenes with her son). She truly does not seem to be acting. It's nice to see an American actor pull that off.

It woupd really be nice if Essential cohosts and Guest Programmers were not allowed to pick the same films as others; maybe have a grace period of five years or so. Just tell them it was done a season or two ago, so leave the slot open for another deserving film.

• Like 1

It woupd really be nice if Essential cohosts and Guest Programmers were not allowed to pick the same films as others; maybe have a grace period of five years or so. Just tell them it was done a season or two ago, so leave the slot open for another deserving film.

Dream on! LOL.

A quick look (I need to look more closely) tells me that April on TCM is not a very good month for me. A few old favorites which have been seen recently, a few that I haven't seen recently and look forward to (e.g. Kiss Me Deadly). And forgive me for saying that I couldn't care less what Mo Rocca's choices are. (I'm never interested in "celebrity" choice segments; this one less even than usual.)

Well, it's some consolation that Sir Sidney and Lady Ruff-Diamond will be with us in April!

~1.jpg

So those reaching their 100th birthday have a good chance of being selected SOTM around that time? Who else has a 100th birthday coming up after April?

A quick look (I need to look more closely) tells me that April on TCM is not a very good month for me. A few old favorites which have been seen recently, a few that I haven't seen recently and look forward to (e.g. Kiss Me Deadly). And forgive me for saying that I couldn't care less what Mo Rocca's choices are. (I'm never interested in "celebrity" choice segments; this one less even than usual.)

Well, it's some consolation that Sir Sidney and Lady Ruff-Diamond will be with us in April!

~1.jpg

LOL. What were Mo's choices?

A noteworthy premiere, Andy? Cast your noir-loving eyes on Edward Dmytryk's MIRAGE (1965), a belated example of noir. One of the best uses of the amnesia theme. Gregory Peck at his best, an excellent Diane Baker, Walter Matthau and Jack Warden in support. I keep recommending this for the film festival.

Is CHARADE a premiere? It's not often seen around these parts. Same with THE MAKIOKA SISTERS. Like skimpole, I want to check out FRENCH CANCAN and THE GOLDEN COACH. Although I VITELLONI shows up from time to time, it's always welcome on the schedule. I might have to check out the two films by Raffaello Matarazzo, too. Who??

Anthony Quinn is a fine star of the month. Not only do I like him, I like a lot of his films. If anyone hasn't seen LA STRADA, VIVA ZAPATA, or ZORBA THE GREEK, those three are not to be missed. LAWRENCE OF ARABIA isn't what I think of as a Quinn film (although he's certainly good in it), but it's one of the greats. Among less familiar Quinn titles, CITY FOR CONQUEST is worth checking out, and Quinn, Irene Papas as his wife, Inger Stevens as his mistress, and Sam Levene as his best friend are all terrific in A DREAM OF KINGS, which is almost unknown. THE SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN is a gorgeous pageant, better than I expected.

Thanks to TCM, some of us have caught up with Vivien Leigh and Charles Laughton in ST. MARTIN'S LANE, but it's hardly overexposed.

SUSAN SLADE is one of the all-time Bad Movies We Love greats. The whole Troy Donahue tribute is irresistible to some of us.

I'm always happy to see THE NUN'S STORY and THE BITTER TEA OF GENERAL YEN on the schedule.

HONEYMOON FOR THREE is a comic gem. Ann Sheridan didn't do nearly enough comedies, and who knew that George Brent, of all people, could do screwball comedy?

April 30 is Johnny Day, and JOHNNY EAGER, JOHNNY ANGEL, and JOHNNY BELINDA are all more than welcome, and JOHNNY O'CLOCK isn't too shabby, either.

For those just beginning to explore the wonderful world of classic film, there are many more fine movies.

• Like 1

LOL. What were Mo's choices?

Rocca chose King Kong, What's Up Doc, The Birds, Dog Day Afternoon, and Gun Crazy.  Three great films, one (IMHO) awful one, and one unfamiliar to me. But it's not about the films or my opinions of them -- I just don't care why Mo Rocca chose them. My least favorite thing on TCM is the "picks" of people not connected to the films telling us why they chose them.

Rocca chose King Kong, What's Up Doc, The Birds, Dog Day Afternoon, and Gun Crazy.  Three great films, one (IMHO) awful one, and one unfamiliar to me. But it's not about the films or my opinions of them -- I just don't care why Mo Rocca chose them. My least favorite thing on TCM is the "picks" of people not connected to the films telling us why they chose them.

FIVE films??? That must be a record for a programmer. Which one do you consider awful? What's Up, Doc?

FIVE films??? That must be a record for a programmer. Which one do you consider awful? What's Up, Doc?

Yes, you got it. But that's not my  complaint -- it's a premiere, and no doubt many people will enjoy it. I just don't like the whole guest programmer thing and particularly don't like Mo Rocca's kind of humour.  

The film I don't know is Gun Crazy. It sounds interesting, but IMHO it could have been programmed without Mo's shtick!

Yes, you got it. But that's not my  complaint -- it's a premiere, and no doubt many people will enjoy it. I just don't like the whole guest programmer thing and particularly don't like Mo Rocca's kind of humour.  

The film I don't know is Gun Crazy. It sounds interesting, but IMHO it could have been programmed without Mo's shtick!

Really? Doc is a premiere? I thought it was on before. Maybe not. I havent seen it since it came out, I remember being underwhelmed by it (except for a couple scenes) Gun Crazy is interesting. A low budget noir.......... I was wondering if Mo would play it straight or he'd be his put on self...........

Really? Doc is a premiere? I thought it was on before. Maybe not. I havent seen it since it came out, I remember being underwhelmed by it (except for a couple scenes) Gun Crazy is interesting. A low budget noir.......... I was wondering if Mo would play it straight or he'd be his put on self...........

I said it was a premiere because Top Billed's post said it was listed as such. Maybe it's not a premiere and not listed as one either! Here's TB's post excerpted (TB doesn't mention Gun Crazy as one of Mo's choices, but the TCM listing does):

"The guest programmer in April is humorist Mo Rocca. He has selected:

KING KONG (1933)

WHAT'S UP DOC? (1972)...listed as a premiere

THE BIRDS (1963)

DOG DAY AFTERNOON (1975)"

I said it was a premiere because Top Billed's post said it was listed as such. Maybe it's not a premiere and not listed as one either! Here's TB's post excerpted (TB doesn't mention Gun Crazy, though the April listings mention it as one of Mo's choices:):

"The guest programmer in April is humorist Mo Rocca. He has selected:

KING KONG (1933)

WHAT'S UP DOC? (1972)...listed as a premiere

THE BIRDS (1963)

DOG DAY AFTERNOON (1975)"

I'm almost sure its been on before, but I cant be sure as I didnt watch it........If it has been on, its very rarely...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings