Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

French Cancan

HelenBaby2

I can't believe this is finally getting an airing on TCM. The only time I participated in the programming challenge, I made The Grand Illusion as my Essential with this film and Touchez au pas grisbi as my evening of Jean Gabin films. I love him in French Cancan. Such as delight as the aging impresario trying to save his club. It's well worth watching just to see the cancan number.

Do yourself a favor and WATCH THIS MOVIE.

• Like 1

H.B., I have been waiting for a chance to see French CanCan (1953) for a few years. I've seen a few clips on YouTube, including one that features Edith Piaf, all hinting at a grander vision for a similar era and a similar subject portrayed in Moulin Rouge (1953) and Can-Can (1960) (Jean Renoir couldn’t fail to depict those ‘crazy shepherdesses” with affection and humor). I’m a bit confused and curious as to why you say this is scheduled to air on TCM; I couldn’t find an air date when I checked the TCMdb info.

It was mentioned in the thread about April's schedule. For reasons I won't go into, I posted my thoughts about it on a separate thread. We'll see if it occurs. Sometimes it happens that someone will post the info when it goes online, usually 2 1/2 months prior, then stuff will get pulled for some reason.

But if it's on, I'm DVRing it, because it's probably on late Sunday night.

ETA: looks like It's scheduled for TCM Imports over night on April 12.

This movie is scheduled as: TCM Imports on the Sunday night of: April 12th. I am hopeful because I have impression that: TCM Silent Sunday Night and: TCM Imports are not often displaced from original schedules. They are certainly not displaced with little notice by tributes to those who have passed.

I have no better words than HelenBaby2 used: "Do yourself a favor and watch this movie."

• 3 months later...

Thank you HelenBaby....French Cancan was everything you suggested- colorful costumes & sets, wonderful story and great performances.

The theme of ART being greater than self, of course touched my heart. In this way the story reminded me of THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL. This was my first Jean Gabin film and I can completely see why he is so well loved by Cinephiles. What a great actor, great charactor face and beautiful performance.

Seeing & hearing Edith Piaf perform was an extra bonus!

My favorite scene is when the heroine, after finding out her love has replaced her with another, pouts and refuses to go on stage. She is standing in the theater basement wearing a mauve pink dress, leaning against the wall painted mauve pink. As she contemplates whether to go "on" or not, she realizes performing for the audience is more important to her than her own love life. Visually, she appears to meld into the wall, becoming "part of the theater" itself. 

Also extraordinary are the various close ups of all the audience faces as the girls perform, showing the joy art brings to people. This movie is a nod to artists and the sacrifice they make with their personal lives for others' entertainment.

• Like 1

H.B., I have been waiting for a chance to see French CanCan (1953) for a few years. I've seen a few clips on YouTube, including one that features Edith Piaf, all hinting at a grander vision for a similar era and a similar subject portrayed in Moulin Rouge (1953) and Can-Can (1960) (Jean Renoir couldn’t fail to depict those ‘crazy shepherdesses” with affection and humor). I’m a bit confused and curious as to why you say this is scheduled to air on TCM; I couldn’t find an air date when I checked the TCMdb info.

The only MOULIN ROUGE I've ever seen is the one with Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor. 

I selected FRENCH CANCAN as an Essential for the tribute TCM will do for Maria Felix, in my 2017 schedule I posted last week in the If You Could Program SOTM For A Year thread.

You probably already know this, Arturo, but Robert Aldrich originally approached Maria Felix about the playing the lead in THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE.

The two couldn't come to an agreement so the part eventually went to Kim Novak.

You probably already know this, Arturo, but Robert Aldrich originally approached Maria Felix about the playing the lead in THE LEGEND OF LYLAH CLARE.

The two couldn't come to an agreement so the part eventually went to Kim Novak.

I had read that before. It would have been interesting to see, especially as it would have been her American film debut, something she always chose not to do.

I had read that before. It would have been interesting to see, especially as it would have been her American film debut, something she always chose not to do.

As much as I enjoy Kim Novak as Lylah Clare (the movie is great campy fun), I think Maria Felix would have given a very compelling performance in the role.

• Like 1

As much as I enjoy Kim Novak as Lylah Clare (the movie is great campy fun), I think Maria Felix would have given a very compelling performance in the role.

I totally agree, and what a visual disparity.........the platinum blonde replaced by the raven colored hair.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings