Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Clint Eastwood's American Sniper

NipkowDisc

Considering Rolling Stone's journalistic standards, do we know that Taibbi even watched the movie?

Seriously, I've only seen the commercials, and the two words I'd use to descrive Amreican Sniper from those ads are "mawkish" and "tedious". Come to think of it, that's the same impression I got from the commercials for War Horse, but for whatever reason that movie didn't seem to endgender so much horrified shrieking from the critics.

• Like 1

Considering Rolling Stone's journalistic standards, do we know that Taibbi even watched the movie?

I trust Taibbi because he never writes about Southern universities. By the way, here's Rolling Stone's list of 25 noteworthy movies at the Sundance Festival this month:

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/lists/25-must-see-movies-sundance-2015-20150116/fresh-dressed-20150116

• Like 1

This is when you know a movie is boring - even if you star in it! (or doing a review by Matt Taibbi of Rolling Stone)

article-2329717-19F5E1FD000005DC-691_634

Edited by hamradio

looks good. right now the top grossing film in america. I see a best picture osc for the Clinter.

:)

american sniper is striking a responsive chord especially with american audiences because it is a rarity in these times...

a pro american american war film...

and yes, that is merely my personal opinion.. :)

• Like 1

american sniper is striking a responsive chord especially with american audiences because it is a rarity in these times...

I'm curious to know how it's pro American. I haven't seen the movie but from what I know about his story he killed a lot of people, suffered PTSD and was murdered by a fellow vet at a shooting range.

I'm curious to know how it's pro American. I haven't seen the movie but from what I know about his story he killed a lot of people, suffered PTSD and was murdered by a fellow vet at a shooting range.

it is pro american in the context that american servicemen in iraq are presented as the good guys and terrorists as the bad guys which is as it should be. :)

• Like 1

it is pro american in the context that american servicemen in iraq are presented as the good guys and terrorists as the bad guys. :)

To me it is silly to look at this movie in such a black and white way as 'pro-American' or not.  

Instead I view the movie as pro-US service personal in the sense the American government put a lot of pressure on US service personal,  especially snipers,   who were under a lot of stress while in combat and after they returned home. 

Is the pro american war film really a rarity these days?

I've seen films made years ago that show the servicemen in action in unpopular wars, i.e. Viet Nam but I would think a film today would be highly unpopular if it took an unpatriotic stance against the actual men and women in uniform if not the cause itself.

Perhaps I'm missing the point here?  Are you saying it is striking a responsive chord because it glorifies, or rather celebrates the American serviceman and his cause?  If so, fair enough.  But I think perhaps not to do so would be the rarity in today's climate.

• Like 2

Gonna watch it this weekend. Lookin' forward to seein' Chris Kyle pickin' off that terrorist scum.

:) 

I must have missed something.  I had no idea they were terrorists.  Misguided Iraqis fighting the 'liberation' force perhaps.

To me it is silly to look at this movie in such a black and white way as 'pro-American' or not.  

Instead I view the movie as pro-US service personal in the sense the American government put a lot of pressure on US service personal,  especially snipers,   who were under a lot of stress while in combat and after they returned home. 

exactly so. pro-US service personal = pro america. :)

Are you saying it is striking a responsive chord because it glorifies, or rather celebrates the American serviceman and his cause?  If so, fair enough.  But I think perhaps not to do so would be the rarity in today's climate.

Both. :)

I think you can be pro-service personal without being a nationalist.  Paths of Glory comes to mind.  Servicemen are often unlucky sods doing the bidding of unthinking, uncaring fat-cats.

Reminds me of the Bush-Cheney administration(both of whom avoided service through various means in the Vietnam era) and their allies calling anyone opposed to the Iraqi invasion "unAmerican" or "unpatriotic". Right out of Joseph Goebbels playbook.

Reminds me of the Bush-Cheney administration(both of whom avoided service through various means in the Vietnam era) and their allies calling anyone opposed to the Iraqi invasion "unAmerican" or "unpatriotic". Right out of Joseph Goebbels playbook.

Good point, (the exact words were You're either with us or against us) and we should never blame the American soldier who are doing their patriotic duty by serving their country even if done by bad policy makers. Many are waking up.

Like to point out again "American Sniper" is focused on the individual,  Chris Kyle not the war as a whole.

Referring to 2003, Iraq didn't attack us on 9/11.  Look at the chaotic state the countries of Iraq and Syria are in now.

The truth is always the first casualty of war.

n0Mgw.La.91.jpg

20140614_MAM914.png

Edited by hamradio

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings