Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Olivia de Havilland featured in new issue of EW

jakeem

The new issue of Entertainment Weekly magazine is the annual Oscar Viewer's Guide. Inside is a piece on two-time Academy Award winner Olivia de Havilland, who is the oldest living Oscar winner at the age of 98.

The feature calls her "the last great star of Hollywood's golden age, a woman who began her career during the rise of Technicolor in 1935, formed one of the most indelible screen couples of all time with Errol Flynn, and went on to work with James Cagney, Rita Hayworth, Montgomery Clift, Bette Davis, Richard Burton, Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh."

http://popwatch.ew.com/2015/01/21/this-weeks-cover-snubs-surprises-controversies-oscars/

• Like 1

The new issue of Entertainment Weekly magazine is the annual Oscar Viewer's Guide. Inside is a piece on two-time Academy Award winner Olivia de Havilland, who is the oldest living Oscar winner at the age of 98.

The feature calls her "the last great star of Hollywood's golden age, a woman who began her career during the rise of Technicolor in 1935, formed one of the most indelible screen couples of all time with Errol Flynn, and went on to work with James Cagney, Rita Hayworth, Montgomery Clift, Bette Davis, Richard Burton, Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh."

http://popwatch.ew.com/2015/01/21/this-weeks-cover-snubs-surprises-controversies-oscars/

She must be the oldest of pretty much anything with regard to film.

I think it's fortunate it's someone of her caliber.  She is the equal of any screen actress, and better than others who are better remembered..

• Like 1

She must be the oldest of pretty much anything with regard to film.

I think it's fortunate it's someone of her caliber.  She is the equal of any screen actress, and better than others who are better remembered..

..and gave, IMHO, the greatest female performance ever, in THE HEIRESS. I think she had as much ability as Bette Davis, but not as much motivation.

• Like 2

I sent Miss de Havilland a letter in 1990. She responded by sending back five photos I had sent her, all personally inscribed.

This one is my favourite:

b0d4296b-1490-481f-b629-729f55e0450e_zps

Of note, though, the return package from her took me totally by surprise. This is because I didn't receive it until FIVE YEARS after my letter had been mailed. She included a small note saying that the delay was due to family illnesses.

Well, better to get a late response from a movie legend than no response at all.  :)

• Like 2

I wonder what became of the memoirs she was supposed to be writing? RO even mentioned it on the air years ago.

The EW piece, written by Missy Schwartz, says De Havilland is still working on her autobiography despite problems with her sight: "She's written five chapters in the same buoyant style that she used in her charming 1962 book of essays, 'Every Frenchman Has One.' A lover of words, she is enjoying mining her rich, long life for remembrances."

• Like 1

The EW piece, written by Missy Schwartz, says De Havilland is still working on her autobiography despite problems with her sight: "She's written five chapters in the same buoyant style that she used in her charming 1962 book of essays, 'Every Frenchman Has One.' A lover of words, she is enjoying mining her rich, long life for remembrances."

I was lucky to purchase a copy of "Every Frenchman Has One' at a used book sale.   Olivia's style in that book does make it a nice read.  Since that book was mostly about her life as an 'outsider' living in Paris, instead of her live as an actress and the movies she made,  I would love to read a book that focused on that.

• Like 1

I was lucky to purchase a copy of "Every Frenchman Has One' at a used book sale.   Olivia's style in that book does make it a nice read.  Since that book was mostly about her life as an 'outsider' living in Paris, instead of her live as an actress and the movies she made,  I would love to read a book that focused on that.

Every Frenchman has one of what?

..and gave, IMHO, the greatest female performance ever, in THE HEIRESS. I think she had as much ability as Bette Davis, but not as much motivation.

The only performances in American films that rival it to my mind are Bette Davis' in All About Eve, and Jane Wyman's in The Yearling.

A correction: At 98, Olivia de Havilland is the oldest living Academy Award winner for acting. The oldest living Oscar winner is Elmo Williams, who won the 1952 award for Best Film Editing in "High Noon." He is 101 years old, and will observe his 102nd birthday on April 30, 2015.

Thanks for the info, jakeem! She is pure awesomeness, and I cannot wait to read her autobiography. I love her tenacity. I don't think that she is as exalted as some of her contemporaries (or former comtemporaries, as it were) are; her name doesn't come up as often as some of the others.

That would be wonderful; she hasn't been SOTM in a while.

While Olivia hasn't been SOTM since 2003,  she has been SOTM twice.      Being SOTM 3 times isn't very common  (e.g. Kate Hepburn has been but one month was Wayne and her \ May 2007 if my records are correct).

Hey,  I love Olivia so I would be fine with it,  but we would have to hear the complaints from the Susan Hayward,  George Sanders, etc..folks!   ;)

• Like 1

While Olivia hasn't been SOTM since 2003, she has been SOTM twice. Being SOTM 3 times isn't very common (e.g. Kate Hepburn has been but one month was Wayne and her \ May 2007 if my records are correct).

Hey, I love Olivia so I would be fine with it, but we would have to hear the complaints from the Susan Hayward, George Sanders, etc..folks! ;)

And to them we say "Piffle!"????

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings