Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New TCM General Manager Jennifer Dorian Announced....

Impressive credentials!  But I wonder at the writer saying, "The lovely Jennifer Dorian..."  What would they say for a man?  They couldn't say "handsome," because lovely refers to more than looks. I know I'm being perhaps too politically correct here, but if you're writing an article about women reaching heights in a company, you probably shouldn't use certain language.

I write this partly in jest, but there's some truth in it, I think.

• Like 4

Impressive credentials!  But I wonder at the writer saying, "The lovely Jennifer Dorian..."  What would they say for a man?  They couldn't say "handsome," because lovely refers to more than looks. I know I'm being perhaps too politically correct here, but if you're writing an article about women reaching heights in a company, you probably shouldn't use certain language.

Sounds like a can of worms Swithin. I don't think SueSue meant any harm by using that adjective ('lovely').

• Like 1

Sounds like a can of worms Swithin. I don't think SueSue meant any harm by using that adjective ('lovely').

I didn't realize it was SueSue's article! I thought it was a link to a piece by a guy at the San Francisco Examiner!  Sorry!

• Like 1

To me lovely refers to only looks.  (just a side-bar,  since that isn't the point you're making).

Yea, I don't know why terms like this are used but it is very common.  I assume they are just filler terms.

The most common one I see is when people say 'they have two beautiful children'.   Of course often it is the parents that say something like 'yea,  the marriage didn't work out, but I have 3 beautiful children out of it'.

If I know the people well I'll tease them about that; 'so your children have no other positive traits than their looks'?   

I didn't realize it was SueSue's article! I thought it was a link to a piece by a guy at the San Francisco Examiner!  Sorry!

It was the Examiner article that used the word "lovely" not the message board poster.

What if the new GM was not lovely?

And Swithin is right: they likely would not use such similar adjectives if they were writing about a man being named to a top position.

• Like 2

I look forward to brand development, innovative revenue-generation,

lifestyle branding, fan base cultivation, and especially cross-platform

opportunities. In fact everything, double-talk wise.

any mention of film acquisition or restoration? :unsure:

I look forward to brand development, innovative revenue-generation,

lifestyle branding, fan base cultivation, and especially cross-platform

opportunities. In fact everything, double-talk wise.

Or, as in the case with The New Republic dust-up,  a "vertically integrated digital-media company."

I shall try to remain hopeful.

And Swithin is right: they likely would not use such similar adjectives if they were writing about a man being named to a top position.

I disagree.... I've occasionally heard of top male CEOs referred to as being "handsome" if they really are.

Thanks, Swithin, and Top Billed.

No, I didn't mean any harm by stating Jennifer Dorian is "lovely," and if it had been a male, I probably would have said "handsome" if he was. :-)

As for the earlier question from Colorado_Kid concerning a relation to Bob Dorian, I've had several questions about that lately, and TCM PR informed me earlier today that Jennifer Dorian is no relation to Bob.

• Like 2

I came across an article on all that mess at The New Republic a month or so ago.

A sad story and not a good way to mark one's centennial. I suppose the return of

the print edition is still up in the air. Doesn't sound all that promising, including the

VIDMC.

I realize TCM has to consider new strategies to keep the ball rolling along and even

increasing its speed, but it's hard not to see the humorous side of all the jargon. The

kind of language that Wilder would have had in his screenwriter sights.

Men can go from young and middle-age handsome to past middle-age distinguished.

Just to clarify, my optimism is for TCM.  I don't have the smarts for TNR, though I certainly wish it,  and all of the departed writers, well.  It really makes one wonder if Silicon Valley moguls should be allowed anywhere near venerable institutions!