Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nevada Smith released under another name

Jazguyz

Recently watched Nevada Smith with Steve McQueen on TCM and remembered a question that I've tussled with for a number of years now. My wife and I saw this film in the movies when it was released in 1966 - twice - each time under a different title. Does anyone know (you might have to be old, like me) the name of the original release title?

I've tried googling this from different angles and cannot find any mention of an earlier release, but i know it happened. Before you write me off as just another oldster who has lost his marbles, let me tell you what I remember. In 1966, my wife and I (not yet married), were dating and went to lots of movies, almost one a week. We went to see a movie called "Nevada Smith" (because it starred McQueen, who was very popular at the time, and because the movie seemed the best of that week's choices at the 3 local theaters), when after the first minute or so, we turned to each other and said "Didn't we just see this not too long ago?" We agreed that we had indeed seen it perhaps two to four months earlier, and we may have remembered the original title at the time (though neither of us is too sure about that now) but we are certain that it was not originally called Nevada Smith.

So after watching the film again last night, my wife jokingly said "why don't you ask Robert Osborne?" Except I took her seriously, but discovered this forum instead. So before I start sending annoying e-mails to the staff at TCM, is there anyone who can shed light on such an earlier release?

Kid Dabb, Stephan,

Thanks for the input, but while my memory certainly isn't what it used to be, I know I'm not confusing Nevada Smith with The Carpetbaggers. NS is memorable for me because I was pretty frugal back then (ok, cheap, lol) and I was annoyed at having spent good money on two tickets for a movie we'd just seen a few months earlier. Because it was released under a different title, I felt that some sort of fraud had been perpetrated on the unsuspecting public to trick people into paying twice for the same film (hey, I was a kid and thought that businesses were supposed to be honest, haha). It even became a running joke between my wife and myself over the years so I know I'm not dreaming it. (Yes, she married me despite knowing about my stinginess; I got lucky!)

Stephan,

Like you, I also saw Nevada Smith before seeing The Carpetbaggers, even though Carpetbaggers was apparently released first. I wasn't even aware of the connection between the two until watching the latter and realizing Alan Ladd was supposed to be the older version of Steve McQeen. I also read your thread about the cuts/edits made to the NS movie. Fascinating. I wish I could add something useful to that discussion but can't. Good luck on your search.

Ok, Jazguyz.. how about a different angle.

You mentioned seeing the same film under two different titles. The titles themselves, were they both on the screen at the start of the films, or could one of them have been on the marquee and one on the screen?

Perhaps they placed the title of the second film on the marquee (intending to run the newer film) and accidentally re-ran the first film - giving the impression of seeing the same film under a different title.

Had you literally seen the same film twice, this would make sense of it.

Perhaps they placed the title of the second film on the marquee (intending to run the newer film) and accidentally re-ran the first film - giving the impression of seeing the same film under a different title.

A similar thing once happened to me. I thought was I was going to see King Kong vs Godzilla, but instead, the theater changed to The Odd Couple. (For a change, I am not making this up.)

• Like 1

I've tried googling this from different angles and cannot find any mention of an earlier release, but i know it happened. Before you write me off as just another oldster who has lost his marbles, let me tell you what I remember. In 1966, my wife and I (not yet married), were dating and went to lots of movies, almost one a week. We went to see a movie called "Nevada Smith" (because it starred McQueen, who was very popular at the time, and because the movie seemed the best of that week's choices at the 3 local theaters), when after the first minute or so, we turned to each other and said "Didn't we just see this not too long ago?" We agreed that we had indeed seen it perhaps two to four months earlier, and we may have remembered the original title at the time (though neither of us is too sure about that now) but we are certain that it was not originally called Nevada Smith.

There are 3 places where you could have seen the titles:

In a newspaper advertising.

On the Markee

On the film in the beginning.

Could you have seen the wrong title accidently put on the Markee or in the Newspaper? While both films might have contained the correct single title?

I suppose it's possible that the theater ran the wrong movie, i.e. not the one being advertised, the first time that we saw it. That would mean we saw Nevada Smith while thinking we were seeing a movie of another name. Possible.

FredCDobbs' comment about newspaper advertising gave me an idea though. If I were really ambitious, I could search the newspaper microfiche files at the library for 1966 and look for the movie ads. Hmmm, soumds like work though.

Scsu1975, King Kong vs Godzilla and The Odd Couple. hahaha, that's a good one.

Well, thanks to everyone for the input.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings