Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cable prices going up by a lot due to sports channels

ElCid

Cable and satellite prices are going to be substantially increasing due to costs of sports "networks."  So even if you do not watch sports, you will pay more to get TCM.  Providers pay more for sports than other "networks" combined.

Subscribers need to actively demand that sports be separated from other networks with a special charge for sports networks.

• Like 2

Cable and satellite prices are going to be substantially increasing due to costs of sports "networks."  So even if you do not watch sports, you will pay more to get TCM.  Providers pay more for sports than other "networks" combined.

Subscribers need to actively demand that sports be separated from other networks with a special charge for sports networks.

Note that the cable and satellite companies can NOT separate channels as part of the contact.   This is why the Dodgers are NOT available in 70% of the So Cal market.     Direct T.V.,  Cox,  etc... were all willing to make a deal with Time-Warner for the Dodgers but these companies wanted to provide the station as a pay-for,  separate package.    TW refused and demanded that every subscriber pay for the station regardless of if they wanted it or not.     Even some local politicians supported TW by saying that,  everyone in L.A. should support the Dodgers!     

So it is the sports teams and the companies that provide them that are against separate, pay-for packages. 

It is beyond time for sports networks to be treated like premium channels. If you want sports networks/packages, you should be willing to pay for them.

We pay extra for HBO, Showtime and Starz because we enjoy their dramatic series but people who don't want to watch those channels, don't have to pay for them.

It should be the same with sports networks and packages.

• Like 5

It is beyond time for sports networks to be treated like premium channels. If you want sports networks/packages, you should be willing to pay for them.

We pay extra for HBO, Showtime and Starz because we enjoy their dramatic series but people who don't want to watch those channels, don't have to pay for them.

The three premium channels you mention all agree to have their product sold as a premium channel.   Many sport networks do NOT agree and I don't feel it would be right to legally force them to (by say, having Congress pass a law).    

Note that the lack of a compromise between the corporations involved with the Dodgers is really shaking things up, but I don't see either side giving in.  

The three premium channels you mention all agree to have their product sold as a premium channel.   Many sport networks do NOT agree and I don't feel it would be right to legally force them to (by say, having Congress pass a law).    

Note that the lack of a compromise between the corporations involved with the Dodgers is really shaking things up, but I don't see either side giving in.  

James,

I agree that it has to come from the networks and the cable/satellite providers. As a DirecTV customer, I appreciate them not passing on the cost of carrying the Dodgers to all their subscribers as we are not sports fans.

I think as more and more non-sports subscribers voice their displeasure with rising costs due to sports programming and more and more people cut the cord, the networks may find they have no choice but to make sports a premium option.

I think that day is getting closer.

At least I hope so.

• Like 2

James,

I agree that it has to come from the networks and the cable/satellite providers. As a DirecTV customer, I appreciate them not passing on the cost of carrying the Dodgers to all their subscribers as we are not sports fans.

I think as more and more non-sports subscribers voice their displeasure with rising costs due to sports programming and more and more people cut the cord, the networks may find they have no choice but to make sports a premium option.

I think that day is getting closer.

At least I hope so.

I would hope even a Dodger fan would support what DirecTV,  Cox, etc.. are doing but that is not the case based on what I hear on sports talk radio.   e.g. many Dodger fans in the So Cal area believe the two sides should agree to binding arbitration.     What they don't understand is that an arbitrator is only going to rule on if Time-Warner is charging a reasonable price.  Well since TW grossly overpaid to obtain the exclusive rights to Dodger games,   the amount TW is asking satellite and cable companies to pay is 'reasonable' as it relates to TW breaking even on their rib-off deal with the Dodgers.     That is why TW offered binding arbitration.    

Since the arbitrator can't rule that TW must allow satellite and cable companies to set up the Dodgers as a premium network,  there is no reason for those companies to go to arbitration.   

Agree completely. While we pay extra for premium movie channels, it is far, far less than we are forced to pay for the sports networks.  Sports networks need to be separated out just as other "premium" networks are.  If for no other reason, that they are the most expensive networks ALL currently have to pay for.

• Like 2

And I dont even watch them. My cable jumped 15 bucks in Dec. i threatened to switch companies and they gave me 10 bucks off per month (for a year) Just outrageous. 90% of the junk on cable I never watch, but its those handful of stations I do watch I have to pay these outrageous fees for. :(

I would give FOX SPORTS a pass on this due to, from what I can surmise, they usually offer up broadcasts of specific region's games, and other stuff that merely seems to "pass the time".  But, as most Tigers/Red Wings/Pistons, and Lion's games AREN'T ever broadcast on ESPN 1 or 2, and not ALL of us are so incensed that we NEED BTN, and some of the others, I think the one that mostly offers up your hometeam's games shouldn't require a premium price to get on your service.  And, my provider IS claiming the "glut" of sports networks as the reason for rising cable prices.

Sepiatone

Glad I have Suddenlink - just simple Basic/Extended Basic Digital SD service channels 1-77 and 6 freebie HD networks.

suddenlink_logo_320.jpg

I feel special, my cable bill only goes up $3.47 cents, lol.

Part of the the problem is not just the forthcoming increases after negotiations, but the already built in high cost for sports networks.  So, even if your bill doesn't go up, you are already paying the high costs for sports networks.

Y'know, if you REALLY think about it, there never WAS such a thing as "free" TV!

For instance, the price you pay for any consumer goods is often guided to maintain a profit margin, factoring in the PRICE the company that manufactures those goods has to pay for TV advertising.  IF, for example, the major networks raise the "airtime" price for showing commercials, the manufacturers will try to recoup that cost through the raise in prices of their products.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings