Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perils of Pauline (1947) on at 1AM EST 1/25 (Tonight)

LsDoorMat

It aired about a year or two ago, because that is when I recorded it. I have it on a disc with SPRING REUNION and THE STORK CLUB. I wish TCM would show more Betty Hutton movies. Love watching her!

Yep, TB, it was shown February 2013, I stand corrected.  The Stork Club is public domain Betty Hutton too.

I definitely liked the movie THE PERILS OF PAULINE better than the original serial. As batty as Betty was in real life, she most definitely was an incredible performer. Thank goodness her talents are on film for the ages...

I love Betty, although I admit that I find the interview she did with RO to be a little unnerving. She seemed to have become so...insecure late in life.

I do like this film a lot, although I like all her work. I really like the Command Performance clip TCM has shown in the past of her performing "Murder, He Says."

I love Betty, although I admit that I find the interview she did with RO to be a little unnerving. She seemed to have become so...insecure late in life.

I do like this film a lot, although I like all her work. I really like the Command Performance clip TCM has shown in the past of her performing "Murder, He Says."

I read a review about her, and I think the reviewer understood her in a way nobody else seemed to-- she was singled out for being a performer who had the most layered mannerisms. And I completely agree. Watching her do the 'Rumba' number near the beginning of THE PERILS OF PAULINE proves this. The way she jerks her body in both directions, mugs (facial contortions) and does high kicks while pushing her voice up and down the scale-- it is truly extraordinary. She had great command of the tools at her disposal (namely, body and voice). And she could bring it down in a heartbeat and give you something very soft, tender and vulnerable too-- often within the same number. My guess is that she rehearsed non-stop so that by the time she went before the audience, she was so layered that it seemed to come off effortlessly.

I think THE STORK CLUB, though, is my favorite film of hers. She is so glamorous and feminine in that film, and she sings some very beautiful ballads. Plus her dry humor with Barry Fitzgerald really works well. I love everything about her performance style.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings