Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paris, Je t'aime--á Lundi

slaytonf

No, not that movie.  TCM seems to have a Paris mini film festival on Monday (don't I remember something similar recently?).  We get a lot of the same-olds, but early on there are two of note.  If yer not a nite owl, try to record them.

The first is The Earrings of Madame De. . . ., from Max Ophüls, that opulent, excellent director whose only fault was that he was a European director, so we don't get to see his films so often on TCM.  It's a dark tale of betrayal, secrecy, infidelity, and betrayal, and it doesn't end well.  I mean, for the characters.

The second is Zazie Dans le Metro, by Louis Malle.  It's a frantic, antic, erratic, idiosyncratic tale of a little girl who comes to Paris just to ride the metro. . .(????). . .and finds it closed by a strike.  Though the film is one long non-sequetor, and tiring to follow, it is saved and lent charm by the cute-as-a-button urchin who plays Zazie, and Philippe Noiret, playing her uncle.  Along the way, the fellow Parisians find life and love and absurdity.  And for all you spoiler-phobes out there, she never gets to ride the metro.  So there, nyah!

• Like 3

I have seen both films more than once, more than twice, and I agree with your recommendation. I'm a huge fan of Zazie, which followed Malle's two previous darker turns as director. Malle turned to photographer William Klein for help with the look of the film (he was told he would receive an assistant something credit). I can't say I have a favorite film by Max Ophüls; his vision was as near cinematic perfection as could be possible (with the exception of Lola Montes?). However, The Earrings Of Madame De . . . (1953) and La Ronde (1950) share the same spot on my favorite list. I'm curious, just to throw this out there, have you seen The Novel Of Werther (1938) a title from early in his career?

• Like 1

I have seen both films more than once, more than twice, and I agree with your recommendation. I'm a huge fan of Zazie, which followed Malle's two previous darker turns as director. Malle turned to photographer William Klein for help with the look of the film (he was told he would receive an assistant something credit). I can't say I have a favorite film by Max Ophüls; his vision was as near cinematic perfection as could be possible (with the exception of Lola Montes?). However, The Earrings Of Madame De . . . (1953) and La Ronde (1950) share the same spot on my favorite list. I'm curious, just to throw this out there, have you seen The Novel Of Werther (1938) a title from early in his career?

I haven't seen all of his movies.  The ones I have include:  La Ronde, Lola Montes, The Earrings. . . ., and Letter From an Unknown Woman.  TCM has shown some, others I saw at times on YT, and on my local university TV channel.  I must admit I like Lola Montes.  It's the circus atmosphere he creates.  He's one of the few directors whose every film I've seen of his I like.

No, not that movie.  TCM seems to have a Paris mini film festival on Monday (don't I remember something similar recently?).  We get a lot of the same-olds, but early on there are two of note.  If yer not a nite owl, try to record them.

The first is The Earrings of Madame De. . . ., from Max Ophüls, that opulent, excellent director whose only fault was that he was a European director, so we don't get to see his films so often on TCM.  It's a dark tale of betrayal, secrecy, infidelity, and betrayal, and it doesn't end well.  I mean, for the characters.

The second is Zazie Dans le Metro, by Louis Malle.  It's a frantic, antic, erratic, idiosyncratic tale of a little girl who comes to Paris just to ride the metro. . .(). . .and finds it closed by a strike.  Though the film is one long non-sequetor, and tiring to follow, it is saved and lent charm by the cute-as-a-button urchin who plays Zazie, and Philippe Noiret, playing her uncle.  Along the way, the fellow Parisians find life and love and absurdity.  And for all you spoiler-phobes out there, she never gets to ride the metro.  So there, nyah!

Thanks for letting us know, Slayton. I have set my DVR to record them.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings