Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carnival of Sinners & Maurice Tourneur

allthumbs

i guess this is a kind of "heads up" recommendation even though i haven't seen the picture.

as part of the group of films during Wednesday daytime with a horror/fate theme is the French made Carnival of Sinners (1943) directed by Maurice Tourneur, the father of Jacques Tourneur who directed Cat People (1942), Out of the Past (1947) and Night of the Demon (1957). Sinners is on Wed, Jan 28 at 11:15 AM est.

what makes this interesting is the history of Maurice Tourneur and the context of the French production in Nazi occupied France. Tourneur was a big cheese in the early days of silents and help form and use filming techniques and story construction and presentation in the early days of production in Ft. Lee, NJ. he became a US citizen and joined the movement  of the film industry to the West Coast in the early 20's.  his idea that the story was more important than the "star" of the movie ran at odds with the prevailing views of movie making in Hollywood, so, he left Hollywood in the late 20's and returned to France where he continued to make movies.

it was the Nazi takeover of France in June 1940 that led to Carnival of Sinners. in order to keep making movies many in the French film industry co-operated/collaborated with the occupiers, but some did so with a resistance twist. it's with this in mind that Sinners should be viewed. Sinners is a Faustian tale about selling one's soul to the Devil but at an exorbitant price.

in the late 40's Tourneur was involved in an auto accident and did no more movies. he endured for more than a decade but succumbed to his injuries in 1961.

i looked around and Sinners gets recommended to highly recommended reviews. i hope the movie is as good as the background regarding the director and the film.

BYW, IMDb has a lengthy and complete bio of Maurice Tourneur at the bio link on the Tourneur page.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings